Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1999 to 2015.
Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback: Godzilla Final Wars (2004)

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Welcome to the Final Wars cult. Your iPod full of Keith Emerson, Sum 41 and Zebrahead as well as a bottle of Bullet Time™ are waiting to be claimed.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Post by Kaiju-Killer 751 »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 pm Welcome to the Final Wars cult. Your iPod full of Keith Emerson, Sum 41 and Zebrahead as well as a bottle of Bullet Time™ are waiting to be claimed.
Ah man, the memories; Godzilla: Final Wars was one of my childhood entries to Godzilla. Hence why I'm so fond of it.

Jeff-Goldblum2
G-Force Personnel

Post by Jeff-Goldblum2 »

How come the lighting in the film is so burnt out?

ale62
Ronin

Post by ale62 »

Kaiju-Killer 751 wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 10:14 pm
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:21 pm Welcome to the Final Wars cult. Your iPod full of Keith Emerson, Sum 41 and Zebrahead as well as a bottle of Bullet Time™ are waiting to be claimed.
Ah man, the memories; Godzilla: Final Wars was one of my childhood entries to Godzilla. Hence why I'm so fond of it.
I'm very fond of it too.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Jeff-Goldblum2 wrote: Sat Mar 27, 2021 12:35 am How come the lighting in the film is so burnt out?
It was pretty trendy at the time to give everything that hot look and then tint it with color washes. I feel like Traffic was the big trend-setter there, but did it with purpose, and subsequently other filmmakers just recycled the effect without the intent.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Zasraniec
Monarch Researcher

Post by Zasraniec »

I am not a fan of FW but it doesn't deserve the hate it gets either. Sure the characters are paper thin and the monsters that appear are practically blink and you'll miss it but when we get a prolonged fight it can actually be entertaining at times. I like the Godzilla suit overall and it looks very fitting of what how that Godzilla fights with his agile melee style. I can say I did like how the true final boss kaiju was a Super Ghidorah so to speak. So while this movie did have some good moments it was just a horrible way to end the series for a while.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Ah yes, my first Godzilla movie. One of my unironic favorites. I love everything about it. Also, what!? Godzilla fighting Monster X in an aerial battle using his tail like motherfuckin’ tigger!?!? THAT WOULD’VE BEEN AWESOME!
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Jermobooka wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 1:01 pm Ah yes, my first Godzilla movie. One of my unironic favorites. I love everything about it. Also, what!? Godzilla fighting Monster X in an aerial battle using his tail like Motherskreeonkin’ tigger!?!? THAT WOULD’VE BEEN AWESOME!
That would have been something to see, for sure! Still, that's gotta hurt using your tail like a spring like that. Maybe he could even have used a 'Kangaroo Kick' like Gorosaurus, as a bit of a shout-out to that classic Showa monster (seeing as he sadly didn't make it into the film)
Last edited by Kaiju-Killer 751 on Fri Apr 09, 2021 4:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

Ultimately, I consider this movie a bit of a guilty pleasure. I certainly understand why it is easily contemptible, though; it has an incredibly bizarre tone for a Godzilla movie, quite a few odd movie homages, strange suits, a cameo from a wrestler, an OP Godzilla, an obnoxious soundtrack, and absolutely nothing resembling a cohesive story. Nevertheless, I find some curious enjoyment in all the mayhem; it is a bit cathartic to see Godzilla just beat the hell out of everything, backed up by a so-corny-its-great performance by Don Frye, and a plot that goes from setpiece to setpiece, instead of from storybeat to storybeat. I consider it an overall guilty pleasure, or so bad it's good; it doesn't make a lick of sense, but it is easy to be entertained watching it.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Keizer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 pm Ultimately, I consider this movie a bit of a guilty pleasure. I certainly understand why it is easily contemptible, though; it has an incredibly bizarre tone for a Godzilla movie, quite a few odd movie homages, strange suits, a cameo from a wrestler, an OP Godzilla, an obnoxious soundtrack, and absolutely nothing resembling a cohesive story. Nevertheless, I find some curious enjoyment in all the mayhem; it is a bit cathartic to see Godzilla just beat the hell out of everything, backed up by a so-corny-its-great performance by Don Frye, and a plot that goes from setpiece to setpiece, instead of from storybeat to storybeat. I consider it an overall guilty pleasure, or so bad it's good; it doesn't make a lick of sense, but it is easy to be entertained watching it.
Well unless you use this site. Then FW Godzilla is just a giant wimp who only ever did anything cause he fought a bunch of weaklings.

Personally I tend to look at this movie in a positive light. It is a dumb popcorn flick, but it never pretends to be anything more than that and least has fun with itself. I think the devise nature was it being the last Godzilla film which is fair but now that it is not even the last Toho made Godzilla film it feels weird that many still hold such contempt for it.

Keizer
Yojimbo

Post by Keizer »

godjacob wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 8:21 pm
Keizer wrote: Sat Apr 10, 2021 7:28 pm Ultimately, I consider this movie a bit of a guilty pleasure. I certainly understand why it is easily contemptible, though; it has an incredibly bizarre tone for a Godzilla movie, quite a few odd movie homages, strange suits, a cameo from a wrestler, an OP Godzilla, an obnoxious soundtrack, and absolutely nothing resembling a cohesive story. Nevertheless, I find some curious enjoyment in all the mayhem; it is a bit cathartic to see Godzilla just beat the hell out of everything, backed up by a so-corny-its-great performance by Don Frye, and a plot that goes from setpiece to setpiece, instead of from storybeat to storybeat. I consider it an overall guilty pleasure, or so bad it's good; it doesn't make a lick of sense, but it is easy to be entertained watching it.
Well unless you use this site. Then FW Godzilla is just a giant wimp who only ever did anything cause he fought a bunch of weaklings.

Personally I tend to look at this movie in a positive light. It is a dumb popcorn flick, but it never pretends to be anything more than that and least has fun with itself. I think the devise nature was it being the last Godzilla film which is fair but now that it is not even the last Toho made Godzilla film it feels weird that many still hold such contempt for it.
Yeah, I agree. I will say that, if this was truly the last "real" Godzilla movie, I would probably dislike it as well; like I said, it is by no means a truly "good" movie, just a dumb fun one. Now that the Monsterverse, Shin Godzilla, Anime Trilogy (regardless of how anyone feels about them), and the upcoming Anime series itself are happening, it seems clear that Godzilla isn't going away too soon. Considering that, I really can't bear any ill-will towards Final Wars; it may be an oddly conceived 50th anniversary film that doesn't really fit all that well into the series as a whole, bu it is nevertheless enjoyable on its own.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Is it bad that GFW is in my top five favorite kaiju films?

1. Shin Gojira
2. GMK
3. G2 Legion
4. G3 Iris
5. GFW

It might not be an objectively good film in the slightest, but i can’t help but love it
Last edited by Jermobooka on Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:16 am Is it bad that GFW is in my top five favorite kaiju films?

1. Shin Gojira
2. GMK
3. G2 Legion
4. G3 Iris
5. GFW

It might not be an objectively good film in the slightest, but i can’t help but love it
Naw, Final Wars is pure kino. Don't feel bad. Praise Final Wars. Love Final Wars.
Resized Image

Kaiju-Killer 751
Monsterland Worker

Funnily enough, one scene I love in Final Wars is the Godzilla vs Zilla fight.

I mean, yes, it is obviously a 'Take That!' to one of my favorite monsters, but it's ironically one of my favorite scenes-I like the score, I like the quick battle, I like the humor involved; For whatever reason, I enjoy watching the scene a lot! Perhaps because, in all fairness, the 'tuna-head' didn't do all that much worse than any of the other monsters in the film-heck, they put three of Godzilla's most powerful allies up against him, and even they seemed to put up less of a fight than Zilla did.

Plus, Zilla got some time in the spotlight, getting to tear Sydney to pieces alongside his fellow Kaiju-And at least he didn't get done in by a bunch of (admittedly powerful) handheld laser rifles and supersoldiers like poor Ebirah.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Even though most of the Kaiju in this film get short squash fights, I still think the majority were handled better than in Destroy All Monsters where most just stand around doing nothing without any set pieces to call their own. So I always did consider this the better anniversary/Kaiju rumble film of the two.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

GFW is one that I don't tend to give much credit too, but it seems people run with this idea that it was somehow *bad*. It wasn't, was it odd? Sure. But it told its story, established its characters, and had plenty of Godzilla to go around.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:03 am GFW is one that I don't tend to give much credit too, but it seems people run with this idea that it was somehow *bad*. It wasn't, was it odd? Sure. But it told its story, established its characters, and had plenty of Godzilla to go around.
"It told its story, established its characters, and had plenty of Godzilla to go around" is a pretty low bar. :)
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:12 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:03 am GFW is one that I don't tend to give much credit too, but it seems people run with this idea that it was somehow *bad*. It wasn't, was it odd? Sure. But it told its story, established its characters, and had plenty of Godzilla to go around.
"It told its story, established its characters, and had plenty of Godzilla to go around" is a pretty low bar. :)
Compared to what though, like what is the bar we're holding it too, ya know? It had a narrative, had a pretty cohesive plot, unique villains (somewhat), the score was pretty good for the most part, the main characters, while a bit one note, aren't too out of the norm for the later Toho entries.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

_JNavs_ wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:25 am
eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 10:12 am
Compared to what though, like what is the bar we're holding it too, ya know? It had a narrative, had a pretty cohesive plot, unique villains (somewhat), the score was pretty good for the most part, the main characters, while a bit one note, aren't too out of the norm for the later Toho entries.
I wasn't really thinking in terms of comparison to other movies, but I suppose the obvious point of reference would be to the rest of the Godzilla series, or the kaiju genre as a whole.

Question for you: What would you say is the central (or at least one major/dominant) theme of GFW?
Last edited by eabaker on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

eabaker wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:14 am I wasn't really thinking in terms of comparison to other movies, but I suppose the obvious point of reference would be to the rest of the Godzilla series, or the kaiju genre as a whole.

Question for you: What would you say is the central (or at least one major/dominant) theme of GFW?
I'd say theme-wise it was a bit all over the place, but the main one would be that we're all to blame, for all of these monsters, all of this destruction, all of this in-fighting between humans, even with the Xiliens. It may look cool, and it may be action-packed to the brim, but they're saying, none of this should be happening, none of this is okay. Genetic super soldiers taken from their families, kaiju being left to run amok on cities across the planet, we've reached the brink of extinction.

"We're trying so hard, We're dying in vain, We're hopelessly blissful and blind" was used in what's arguably the most notable song in the film, Sum 41- "We're All To Blame". I think that song single-handily gives us, the viewers, the main understanding of this other-wise crazy intense movie.

All of the events transpiring in the film, this is what happens when humanity has absolutely no regard for what they're doing to their planet, it's what happens when we reach that peak of disregard.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sat Apr 17, 2021 11:34 am, edited 3 times in total.