Monster Discussion #61: Destoroyah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
The Godzilla Camp
Monsterland Worker

Re: Monster Discussion #61: Destoroyah

Post by The Godzilla Camp »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Dude, obviously Hedorah is different from Destroyah for being sludgy but you can't deny both are multi formed creatures built from smaller creatures that are incredibly powerful and capable of killing Godzilla. Not to mention both monsters are the antithesis of life and have strong ranged weaponry.
With Hedorah 1971 ofc - yes - not gonna argue that - BUT I meant their reformation abilities - DESTOROYAH needs more Aggregates and more time and seems to be that you can wound DESTOROYAH even without his weakness of well Freezing Temperatures and the fact how if he is weakened - he is able to be taken down - and the fact DESTOROYAH is abit slow ... whereas Hedorah 1971 can happily switch back and forth at times ... and yes whilst Hedorah 1971 yup he could have very nearly fixed up Godzilla 1971 ... but I dunno about the Oxygen Destroyer and MICRO-OXYGEN affecting Godzilla 1995 that much - well he was in Meltdown which ironically vamped him up as he was dying but we don't know how effective it would have been had he been healthy...

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

If Godzilla 1954 never existed in the Heisei timeline, how can they say that Destoroyah was created by the oxygen destroyer?
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:If Godzilla 1954 never existed in the Heisei timeline, how can they say that Destoroyah was created by the oxygen destroyer?
Except that he DOES exist in the Heisei timeline, so that's a moo question.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14
EDF Instructor

Post by M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 »

Mr. Xeno wrote:
M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:If Godzilla 1954 never existed in the Heisei timeline, how can they say that Destoroyah was created by the oxygen destroyer?
Yeah but they went back in time in Godzilla Vs King ghidorah to eliminate Godzilla from history but failed because he got mutated later on by a Soviet nuclear sub.
Fan of Godzilla, Pacific Rim, Sailor Moon, and Transformers.
Dezerb wrote: buenos ding dong didily dias senor.
http://i.imgur.com/PpE0DEQ.gif

Moguera14 X Sailor Moon

Kaijugriffey
Monarch Researcher

Post by Kaijugriffey »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote:
Mr. Xeno wrote:
Yeah but they went back in time in Godzilla Vs King ghidorah to eliminate Godzilla from history but failed because he got mutated later on by a Soviet nuclear sub.
I think it was worked out that they screwed up and moved the wrong dinosaur resulting in two Godzilla's. The original 1954 one and the later one. of course it wasn't real clear in the movie. Time Travel plots are rarely executed well.

Which reflects one of the issues with Heisei in general. The period probably had the overall best most consistent Kaiju designs. Clean updates and some really really good new designs like Biolante Space Godzilla and Destroyah. It was in some of the execution that things stumble. Destroyah is a wonderful terrifying demonic monster. We just wish he could have been used a little better as the suit design and budget limited it.

Compare Heisei with Millenium, where they had some truly strong updates of existing monster designs. Godzilla, MechaGodzilla and Gigan all got awesome well executed updates. But the new original monsters from the period just sucked. Horrible overly busy designs that failed to connect with viewers.

Whereas Showa had the greatest variances. The early designs were either great or overly campy and silly. But at least the nature of the early suits allowed for some more robust physicality.

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

M.o.g.u.e.r.a14 wrote: Yeah but they went back in time in Godzilla Vs King ghidorah to eliminate Godzilla from history but failed because he got mutated later on by a Soviet nuclear sub.
That had nothing to do with the Godzilla that appeared in 1954, though. That only created the second Godzilla that first appeared in G85 and starred in the remaining Heisei movies.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

His design is pretty cool but he is ridiculously overrated by some in the fandom. I like how everybody uses Destoroyah's ability to break down as a means to make him overpowered. Really he did it once in the film and it didn't do jack shit except for force him to return to his final form again. They always give him a mysterious regenerative ability too, despite the fact one is never mentioned in the film or in any official guidebook to my knowledge.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Jatahaxe
Interpol Agent

Post by Jatahaxe »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:They always give him a mysterious regenerative ability too, despite the fact one is never mentioned in the film or in any official guidebook to my knowledge.
It's an easy conclusion to come to seeing how rapidly he grows after a certain point and seemingly generates his own food supply.
Monsters are the real people.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Jatahaxe wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:They always give him a mysterious regenerative ability too, despite the fact one is never mentioned in the film or in any official guidebook to my knowledge.
It's an easy conclusion to come to seeing how rapidly he grows after a certain point and seemingly generates his own food supply.
What does it eat anyway?
Does it even eat at all?
Derzerb wrote:And his name is WARNED USER

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Jatahaxe wrote:
What does it eat anyway?
Does it even eat at all?
He feeds off micro oxygen

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Godzillian wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Jatahaxe wrote: It's an easy conclusion to come to seeing how rapidly he grows after a certain point and seemingly generates his own food supply.
What does it eat anyway?
Does it even eat at all?
He feeds off micro oxygen
Just like Godzilla feeds off nuclear radiation.

But my question is, after they were mutated, why did they lose their requirement to eat real food? This goes for all the monsters.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The scientist did say after exposure to the Oxygen Destroyer they began " mutating abnormally."
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
But my question is, after they were mutated, why did they lose their requirement to eat real food? This goes for all the monsters.
Food provides an energy supply for fueling the physiological processes in the body. If mutations provided the monsters with easier and more efficient ways to gain that energy, it kinda makes sense for them to abandon eating regular food. Destoroyah is a good example. Why wasting time with eating if it can sustain itself by "digesting" micro oxygen, which it can also create by itself...

Axine
Ronin

Post by Axine »

I was always disappointed with Destoroyah's Final Form. I thought it should have been a more powerful monster, the strongest monster in the series.

F4ZaTE_X
Terminated
Terminated

Post by F4ZaTE_X »

Israha wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Food provides an energy supply for fueling the physiological processes in the body. If mutations provided the monsters with easier and more efficient ways to gain that energy, it kinda makes sense for them to abandon eating regular food. Destoroyah is a good example. Why wasting time with eating if it can sustain itself by "digesting" micro oxygen, which it can also create by itself...
Are you TK's resident scientist?

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

F4ZaTE_X wrote: Just like Godzilla feeds off nuclear radiation.

Because real food isn't enough to sustain an animal of that size. Nuclear energy (and presumably micro oxygen) is.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Israha
Monarch Researcher

Post by Israha »

F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Israha wrote:
F4ZaTE_X wrote:
Are you TK's resident scientist?
Nope, just a high school teacher and a dude with a bad habit of overthinking issues considering rubber monsters from Japanese movies :lol:

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Jahgee wrote:Destoroyah should have used that laser horn to cut of Jr. head, that would have been awesome.
You...are seriously twisted.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"

Jahgee
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jahgee »

godzillafan1954 wrote:
Jahgee wrote:Destoroyah should have used that laser horn to cut of Jr. head, that would have been awesome.
What's the point of quoting a post from 2011
One of Toho Kingdom's 2 resident NASCAR fans
There was a time where I was Admin

godzillafan1954
EDF Instructor

Post by godzillafan1954 »

Jahgee wrote:
godzillafan1954 wrote:
What's the point of quoting a post from 2011
Maybe I didn't know it was from 2011.
eabaker wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 8:31 am
Jetty_Jags wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 7:11 am I’d consider 2001 baragon to have some pink undertones.
I hear a distant rumbling... What's that?! It's coming from under the ground!

Oh, God! It's Baragon with Pink undertones! Can't you hear its terrifying cry?!

"Baragooooooon's comin' up, so you better get this party started!"