RoM 2 ??? What the heck?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Re: RoM 2 ??? What the heck?

Post by cloverfan98 »

Legion1979 wrote:
Godzilla 1995 wrote:ROM II is the worst Toho film ever made. EVER.
That honor goes to Godzilla's Revenge.
Yeah, no. Not by a long shot. There is absolutely no way that Revenge is worse than those Mothra films. Sorry.
Rebirth of Mothra 2 is not a gem though, by any means.
It's Toho's worst giant monster film. Period.
In your opinion. I can totally understand if its YOUR personal opinion that RoM 2 the worst Toho Kaiju film ever, that's fine I'd love to discus this in a logical, rational, and civil manner. After all that's why we are all here. But its kinda rude to act like your personal opinion is law and undeniable fact.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

*ALL* of the ROM films are worse than REVENGE. Are you fucking kidding me?

REBIRTH OF MOTHRA 2 is most definitely Toho's worst SPX film ever. Yes, worse than GUNHED, and BYE-BYE JUPITER.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ I think I like ROM1 a little better than Revenge, but ROM2 is the murky-rock-bottom of kaiju film. Even GINO and Final Wars look decent compared to it.

Ookondru99
Monarch Researcher

Post by Ookondru99 »

ROMI was pretty decent. I really dig the Desghidorah design and origin, and although he is another ghidorah his powers and appearance really make me view him as a completely different monster.

ROMII was definitely the worst of the series. Dagarla is original, but that is about all i can salvage from this film. I hate mothras 'pokemon type evolution' that was introduced in this film. The kid characters were near unbearable. Overall this film was geared for kids far more than ROMI and ROMIII IMO.

ROMIII was alright. Better than the previous film, and I like how powerful GKG was, and how he was the space tyrant I had come to love once more. Armor mothra was alright, and i especially dig the cretaceous battle, despite the crappy dinosaur props.

Overall ranking: ROMI, ROMIII,............ROMII
TK's Resident Red Bamboo :destoroyah:

Dust_pan
Futurian

Post by Dust_pan »

Goji wrote:REBIRTH OF MOTHRA 2 is most definitely Toho's worst SPX film ever. Yes, worse than GUNHED, and BYE-BYE JUPITER.
Worse than Bye-Bye Jupiter? I don't think I would go that far. Bye-Bye Jupiter to me was way more sluggish and unexciting than ROM2.

But I do agree that of all Toho giant monster films I've seen, ROM2 was the worst.
Q: Will we see that monster that Bryan was going to reveal this morning at the press conference?
Cranston: Oh yeah! The only Godzilla movie with an X-rating.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

It could be better, yes, but it did have an original foe for Mothra. They needed better human villians; Those two bumblers weren't even good as comic relief.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Coming from the person who legitimately LIKES the third movie... ROM 2 absolutely sucks. Dear lord, is it awful.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

JAGzilla wrote:I caught the trilogy on Encore last night, and I gotta say, I was pleasantly surprised. Provided you go in with low expectations, these movies really don't live up (or down, I suppose) to the hype. I can certainly think of plenty of worse films.
I think this was my experience, too. I saw it proclaimed as the 'worst' Mothra film on here multiple times- and thus, I came in with pretty low expectations, and actually ending up appreciating a lot of what the film did, technically. (I posted a much more in-depth musing on the talkback thread). Short version- it's not exactly like I'm a RoM II fanboy, but I could see positive qualities, including many things it did better than the first one. Unfortunately, the core of storytelling- characterization and dialogue- were not among those things. :) Either way, it's hard to judge this one- because unlike the Heisei or Millenium films that were made for 'me,' or even most of the Showa films that were made for me AND my kids... this one was really just made for my kids. It's a kids move featuring daikaiju, which is not what we normally expect. But for what it is... eh, I don't loathe it in the way that many here seem to. I'm not gonna rewatch it any time soon... but I don't loathe it.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Goji wrote:It's quite easily the worst Toho daikaiju film of all time (seriously, what's worse than this?). It's literally unwatchable to me.
Gappa might be worse

GalacticPetey
Gotengo Officer

Post by GalacticPetey »

Goji was referring to Toho kaiju films. Gappa was not made by Toho.
I can't believe that Godzilla was the only surviving member of its species, but if we continue conducting nuclear tests, it's possible that another Godzilla might appear somewhere in the world again.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I really like the location and ideas for this film and love dagahra but this film just can't get it together and the script is so awful (which is just one of many problems).

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

But that music score is pretty good.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Young Guy
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Young Guy »

Why is this movie so bad exactly?

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Young Guy wrote:Why is this movie so bad exactly?
Because it panders exclusively to kids with lots of silly bits and dumb humor. Although I'd say it's still better than many kids' films released, cuz it at least had giant monster action and destruction.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

It doesn't have a good sense of scale. Beyond the early scenes with the schoolhouse there's a very small cast, and you never really see Daghra rampage through a city. There's only one scene where Daghra goes on a rampage through a seaside town and destroys the school, but it's not overly exciting.

Part of me really loves this film. I love the underwater theme and aesthetic, as well as Daghra and even Mothra. I just wish it didn't revolve around young kids, and it had a larger scale.

That being said, I thought it was really unique how the Nila Kinai pyramid thing "fought" Daghra by firing its own brand. The film had tons of unique and cool ideas, and an awesome monster but fell severely short by being too kid friendly.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:It doesn't have a good sense of scale. Beyond the early scenes with the schoolhouse there's a very small cast, and you never really see Daghra rampage through a city. There's only one scene where Daghra goes on a rampage through a seaside town and destroys the school, but it's not overly exciting.

Part of me really loves this film. I love the underwater theme and aesthetic, as well as Daghra and even Mothra. I just wish it didn't revolve around young kids, and it had a larger scale.

That being said, I thought it was really unique how the Nila Kinai pyramid thing "fought" Daghra by firing its own brand. The film had tons of unique and cool ideas, and an awesome monster but fell severely short by being too kid friendly.
Pretty much how I feel about the film.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Godzillian wrote:
Goji wrote:It's quite easily the worst Toho daikaiju film of all time (seriously, what's worse than this?). It's literally unwatchable to me.
Gappa might be worse
Nah. Gappa's not great, but I'm going to have to disagree.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Just Plain Dan
G-Force Personnel

Post by Just Plain Dan »

Kubo wrote:I liked Dagahra, but...that was the only thing likable about the movie.
Same for me; I remember absolutely struggling to stay awake after a while. And I don't know how everyone else feels about him, but was I the only one who thought that Ghogo was from a different movie entirely? I remember at point thinking to myself, "What is this Furbie knockoff doing here?"

PineappleProducer
Monsterland Worker

Post by PineappleProducer »

Not even Dagahra saved this film for me (he didn't do much for me, admittedly). I did kinda like the part where the castle itself was attacking, that was kinda neat. But the battle just dragged on and on and on. And those two mooks Belvera had, it's like they couldn't decide whether they were bad or good or what, and they flip flopped so many times I gave up by the end. Definitely the worst of the trilogy.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Godzilla's Revenge
Godzilla vs Megalon
Godzilla Final Wars
So basically in this topic
"WAS MADE FOR KIDS, IS BAD! LITERATE HITLER MADE THIS ZOMG"

Jesus christ. It was made after the popularity of Godzilla was fading, they literally just got done KILLING Godzilla. Sorry it couldn't be Gamera trilogy tier, but it was OK for what it was. A yearly film to fill the quota until 1998/1999 -_-
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.