Monster Discussion #45: Mecha-King Ghidorah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Re: Return of Mecha King Ghidorah

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:If they did pretty much anything elso other than time travel with him I would be happy.
And I'm curious what better thematic and narrative motivation you can imagine for the character.
King Ghidorah, the maniacal destroyer of worlds, battered by Godzilla in a failure of his own hubris, is reanimated by evil techno-aliens bent on controlling all with their mechanistic assimilation! Only in the end can Ghidorah's lone surviving head regain control of his body to destroy the mothership of his oppressors, bring freedom back into the world of man & monster!
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:He could still be an alien, just have some war monnger find his body and turn it into a cyborg after he lost a fight to a group of Earth monsters. They did it on Marc's Godzilla novels.
One could write such a thing, but the question of "why" remains.

MKG's creation was completely germane to GvsKG. In most other contexts, it just seems like something one would include for its own sake.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Living Corpse wrote:Why? Cause he can be used as a weapon. He's of free will when alive as King Ghidorah, then when he losses he is brought back as a cyborg weapon.

Hell it could be aliens who bring him back so it seems more logical how he could be turned into a cyborg with advance technology we humans don't have.
Not why would characters in-universe do it, why would it be included in a story? What would it add or mean?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Sometimes I need to remind myself: a message board is not a serious story conference...

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Well, but see it this way: What would anything any author adds to his/her work add or mean? You could use that against anything and end up with a circle of answers that doesn't get you anywhere. Doesn't that seem a little pedantic to you?
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Legionmaster wrote:Well, but see it this way: What would anything any author adds to his/her work add or mean? You could use that against anything and end up with a circle of answers that doesn't get you anywhere. Doesn't that seem a little pedantic to you?
And God knows neither of us would ever engage in - gasp! - pedantry!

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

eabaker wrote:
Legionmaster wrote:Well, but see it this way: What would anything any author adds to his/her work add or mean? You could use that against anything and end up with a circle of answers that doesn't get you anywhere. Doesn't that seem a little pedantic to you?
And God knows neither of us would ever engage in - gasp! - pedantry!
Lies. You know we're just a couple of ole' pedantriphiles.
bleep bloop

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:I don't get when people say Heisei monsters are so tied to their movies. Did people think that about Showa monsters?
Most Showa movies didn't tie the origins of their mosnters into the narratives to nearly the degree that the Heisei films did.

But, y'know, a lot of people have complained over the last couple of decades about the re-purposing of both KG and MG for their respective Heisei flicks.

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

eabaker wrote:But, y'know, a lot of people have complained over the last couple of decades about the re-purposing of both KG and MG for their respective Heisei flicks.
Yep, in fact there is a great example of that in regards to King Ghidorah that is pretty recent:

http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... 25#p510625

I personally don't mind the monsters being retooled some as long as the result is good, although I think it's general fan nature to cling to the original a little up until they witness the new approach. My point with Mecha-King Ghidorah is that he was already a retooling of a classic creation in King Ghidorah, and that if they are going to retool the monster again they should probably try something new (part of the reason why Kiryu doesn't feel unique, as he basically retreaded what was largely done in 1993 in terms of concept).
If it bites... don't mess with it!

JGAR
Futurian

Post by JGAR »

Mecha-King Ghidorah could be perfect for a series' Main Antagonist.
Yooo 8-)

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Tyler wrote:
eabaker wrote:Most Showa movies didn't tie the origins of their mosnters into the narratives to nearly the degree that the Heisei films did.
What if the finished movie isn't that great?
I'm not really sure what that has to do with the subject.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Tyler wrote: What if the finished movie isn't that great?
I'm not really sure what that has to do with the subject.
...Maybe he means "Sure they're tied in well-but the movies weren't all that great. Why not try it again?'

:?: :?: :?: :?:
Well, that would mean re-using the movies, not just taking the superficial trappings of the mosnter and re-purposing it for an unrelated story, which is what this thread seemed to be about.

Dogbert
Monsterland Worker

Monster discussion: mecha king ghidorah

Post by Dogbert »

I think he needed more screen time.
I calculated the odds of this succeeding vs the odds I was doing something incredibly stupid, and I went ahead and did it anyways.

TyrantGojira
EDF Instructor

Re: Monster discussion: mecha king ghidorah

Post by TyrantGojira »

I agree that MKG is an under utilized monster that has a lot of potential. In my opinion, he should of been one of Godzilla's deadliest opponents.
"Am I glad he's frozen in there and that we're out here, and that he's the sheriff, and that we're frozen out here, and that we're in there and I just remembered we're out here. What I wanna know is where's the caveman?"

Infinity
Monarch Researcher

Post by Infinity »

He is kinda like the Mecha-frieza of Toho's Heisei series for Godzilla. Overall a pointless character who only serves to show off the awesomeness of the title character on the spot, along with contributing in the creation of another powerful adversary (Frieza's cells where used for making Cell, while MKG's tech was used for MechaG).

Darth Nightmaricus
Yojimbo

Will we ever see Mecha-King Ghidorah again?

Post by Darth Nightmaricus »

He's my favorite kaiju...

Wait, is this the right board?

Darth Nightmaricus
Yojimbo

Mecha-King Ghidorah, being my favorite kaiju, should be in another movie.

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Re: Will we ever see Mecha-King Ghidorah again?

Post by gojira96 »

No, this belongs on the General Toho Films Board.

Darth Nightmaricus
Yojimbo

gojira96 wrote:No, this belongs on the General Toho Films Board.
Can you answer the first question though?

gojira96
Monarch Researcher

Post by gojira96 »

Darth Nightmaricus wrote:
gojira96 wrote:No, this belongs on the General Toho Films Board.
Can you answer the first question though?
I'm not sure if he'll appear again. He is a pretty cool kaiju, but not a very popular one.