Tokyo subway sarin attack and scene was cut G-98 script

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Ryu
Samurai

Tokyo subway sarin attack and scene was cut G-98 script

Post by Ryu »

I read the G-98 script, a scene that bothers me.
In the script, the first encounter between Godzilla and the military, happens in a different way. The fish trap is trapped with orange gas. All soldiers are wearing gas masks, I remember a soldier running with Nick to put on the mask. The gas is activated, but Godzilla uses Power breath against gas, and chaos breaks out.
In my opinion, this scene was better than the final film. That military personnel are shooting all sides, doing more damage than G.
My doubt is whether the scene was cut, for lack of funds or at the request of Toho.
The script was written a year after The Tokyo subway sarin attack. And I know that many animes of that time had to completely change the history of the series, or had to stay put. Or postpone the series altogether for years to come. For having scenes or themes similar to the attack.
So, the Subway Attack, did you have the influence to cut this scene from the script for the final film or was it a lack of funds?
Computer geeks ....we’re not so easy to kill.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Re: Tokyo subway sarin attack and scene was cut G-98 script

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

This scrapped scene could be influenced by the Tokyo subway sarin attack or maybe the screenwriter didn't know about the terrorist attack and this scene being somewhat similar to it was just a coincidence. I don't know.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I don't think it was scrapped due to the attack. It's possible, but I doubt it. It was most likely cut for budgetary reasons as it would require some extra props, equipment and effects to be done. Could also have been cut for pacing reasons, it seems to me like the scene would just flow better if they open fire on Godzilla instead of trying the gas routine and then opening fire.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

I don't think the scene was cut due to the subway gas attack. Back then, it seemed the outrage culture ,while around, didn't quite have the impact, influence it does today. In April of 1995, the Murrah Federal Building was blown up by Timothy McVeigh. There was some stink about the third DIE HARD flick which featured a mad bomber plot, along with the season finale to MELROSE PLACE. But audiences didn't seem to mind. Likewise, there were some quibbles over with GAMERA:GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE by Kaneko early on in development concerning the appropriateness during the Sarin Gas attack. But in the end it didn't have any effect.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The One and Only wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 pm Likewise, there were some quibbles over with GAMERA:GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE by Kaneko early on in development concerning the appropriateness during the Sarin Gas attack. But in the end it didn't have any effect.
Maybe G2, but that couldn't have been the case during the development of GOTU. The attack was March 20, 1995, nine days after the release of GOTU (which was essentially finished in 1994 anyway).
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

The One and Only
Futurian

Post by The One and Only »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:16 pm
The One and Only wrote: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:01 pm Likewise, there were some quibbles over with GAMERA:GUARDIAN OF THE UNIVERSE by Kaneko early on in development concerning the appropriateness during the Sarin Gas attack. But in the end it didn't have any effect.
Maybe G2, but that couldn't have been the case during the development of GOTU. The attack was March 20, 1995, nine days after the release of GOTU (which was essentially finished in 1994 anyway).
Your right. I'm probably thinking the big earthquake that hit Kyoto in January 1995 that gave Kaneko ,and
his staff some pause on the timing of GTGOTU's release.
"All literature is one of three stories: a man goes on a journey, a stranger comes to town, and Godzilla Vs. Megashark. "-Leo Tolstoy.