The Return of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Biollante?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)

Which ‘80s Godzilla film do you prefer?

The Return of Godzilla
31%
Godzilla vs Biollante
69%
Godzilla 1985 (special bonus option)
No votes

Total votes: 35

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Re: The Return of Godzilla or Godzilla vs Biollante?

Post by GojiDog »

Godzilla Vs. Biollante for me.

TROG is really good in places and is a nice honest attempt to try and recreate the sense of dread of the original film in the then current political landscape. It was sincere in that regard and in some ways succeeds.

However, Godzilla Vs. Biollante is just way more memorable to me. Special effects wise, it is probably my favorite entry in the series as Godzilla has, to me, never looked better and Biollante is a true spectacle to witness. The battles between Godzilla and Super X2 also represent some of the best Monster Vs. Military weapon scenes the franchise has ever produced.

And they also worked so much into this story that it almost feels like the movie should collapse under the weight of it. Genetic mutations, psychics, fictional countries, espionage, assassins, terrorists, and wacky sci-fi weapons to boot. But strangely, it all kind of fits and stays exciting and interesting all the way through.

G84 brought Godzilla back, but GVB, to me, defined what the Heisei series would be about. The continuity picked up right where the last film left off, the tone was on the more serious side, but it also established that just about anything was on the table as far as ideas go.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

So I watched these two back to back recently and... to my surprise I might have to change my answer to ROG as the better movie.

Going into Biollante I had forgotten how bad its Engrish lines were. Some of the conversations in the first act are completely unintelligible and I think they could easily confuse a new viewer who doesn't have the benefit of prior knowledge about the movie. As bad as Shin's Engrish was, at least they presented us with subtitles so we could understand what they were saying.

Bad English actors are also far more prominent in GvB. The American Ambassador in ROG, as bad as he is, only appears in one scene. Most of GvB's antagonist are English speakers, however, which subjects the viewer to far more bad English acting than the franchise is usually known for, and to the uninitiated viewer it makes GvB come across as little more than a cheesy B Movie. It really is that painful.

The main characters are also superior in ROG. While they're not exactly groundbreaking they're at least clearly indentified and are placed in the thick of the action, in peril by both Godzilla and the impending Russian nuclear missile. It raises the stakes in a way that GvB can't compete against. GvB's main protagonists are completely overshadowed by the much more flavorful side characters, and they don't contribute much to the film as a whole. They're also never in peril unless engaged in a shootout with the Saradian Agent, so the stakes of Godzilla and Biollante's attacks never feel very threatening.

GvB has a lot of unique ideas, some strong themes and excellent special effects, but it didn't hold up nearly as well as I had expected. I can't help but wonder now if the praise it's acclaimed over the years is almost exclusively because of its special effects. It's still a good movie, but ROG, GMK, LPG and the last four Gamera movies are all much better than it, I think.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Kaiju-King42 wrote:GvB has a lot of unique ideas, some strong themes and excellent special effects, but it didn't hold up nearly as well as I had expected. I can't help but wonder now if the praise it's acclaimed over the years is almost exclusively because of its special effects.
I think, in addition to the special effects, the praise can also be attributed to the ideas and themes you mentioned in your previous sentence, as well as to the host of engaging supporting players you mentioned earlier. In fact, I'm reluctant to even call them supporting players; although Kirishima is functionally the movie's protagonist, it's very much an ensemble story, and characters like Shiragami, Kuroki, Miki and Gondo are a key aspect of its appeal.
Last edited by eabaker on Thu Jun 11, 2020 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

eabaker wrote:
Kaiju-King42 wrote:GvB has a lot of unique ideas, some strong themes and excellent special effects, but it didn't hold up nearly as well as I had expected. I can't help but wonder now if the praise it's acclaimed over the years is almost exclusively because of its special effects.
I think, in addition to the special effects, the praise can also be attributed to the ideas and themes you mentioned in your previous sentence, as well as to the host of engaging supporting players you mentioned earlier. In fact, I'm reluctant to even call them supporting players; although Kirishima is functionally the movie's protagonist, it's very much an ensemble story, and characters like Shiragami, Kuroki, Miki and Gondo are a key aspect of its appeal.
I can understand that, yeah. Despite my gripes with Biollante's two leads, Shirigami and Gondo are both more far interesting than anyone in ROG (except maybe the Prime Minister.) Miki... is interesting on virtue of her psychic powers, but I don't think it was until GvMG2 that her character really began to grow into its shoes.

The dangers of genetic engineering and the ideas of factions waging espionage against each other for a new potential super weapon is probably GvB's greatest narrative strength. But as great as those themes are, I also really like the Cold War angle in ROG and it's hard for me to choose one over the other.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: The dangers of genetic engineering and the ideas of factions waging espionage against each other for a new potential super weapon is probably GvB's greatest narrative strength. But as great as those themes are, I also really like the Cold War angle in ROG and it's hard for me to choose one over the other.
I've always felt like Biollante's biotech espionage plot is rather half-baked. On paper it's awesome, but in the film we just get a few scenes of the world's most stereotypical ugly Americans and an assassin working for the world's most stereotypical fake Middle Eastern country shooting at each other. Beyond the film's first act, the insertion of the rival foreign corporations into the plot often feels forced. Frankly, I've always thought BioMajor blowing up Mt. Mihara to unleash Godzilla is pretty stupid. And the fact that, as you mentioned, the Engrish dialogue is beyond horrible, doesn't help. It makes what's supposed to be an intelligent and serious film feel like a bad parody.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I've just never liked RoG. So I went Biollante.
For Emperor and Empire!

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

Godzilla vs Biollante

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

They both have strengths and weaknesses....but I go in favor of Biollante.

As far as the Blu Ray presentation though....Return of Godzilla. I understand the constraints and limitations that resulted in the Biollante Dub track sounding so mediocre....but ROG has a much better sounding dub.

If they both had fresh restorations and fresh Dubs done....Biollante's advantages would shine brighter.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I like both a great deal with maybe a slight preference to ROG. I like the score more and it doesn't have as much horrendous English speaking.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

tbeasley wrote:I like both a great deal with maybe a slight preference to ROG. I like the score more and it doesn't have as much horrendous English speaking.
Sunov a beech.

IZ ZAT SARADIAN AGENT AGEEEN!

On the bright side, Godzilla vs Biollante is a good source of memes.

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Gotta go with TRoG. Love that apocalyptic dread and political conflict. And the effects are incredible, especially Godzilla rampage in the city towards the end and his battle with Super X. Some of the best miniature work in the entire series, in my opinion.
Resized Image

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

The Return of Godzilla. It's my most favorite Heisei film and one of my top favorite Godzilla films.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

Arbok
Kingdom Mikado
Kingdom Mikado

Post by Arbok »

I love both films, but gotta go with Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Love the pacing, love the way Godzilla is portrayed and love the use of Biollante. It's got faults, but to date it's my favorite Godzilla film and, thanks to a heavy dose of nostalgia, my favorite movie of all time.

That said, I also love The Return of Godzilla as well. In fact, if someone gave me the option of only being able to own two Godzilla movies, it would be those two.
If it bites... don't mess with it!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Arbok wrote:I love both films, but gotta go with Godzilla vs. Biollante.

Love the pacing, love the way Godzilla is portrayed and love the use of Biollante. It's got faults, but to date it's my favorite Godzilla film and, thanks to a heavy dose of nostalgia, my favorite movie of all time.

That said, I also love The Return of Godzilla as well. In fact, if someone gave me the option of only being able to own two Godzilla movies, it would be those two.
Biollante is my birth film.

MekaGojira3k
Samurai

Post by MekaGojira3k »

I think both are great but I'm gonna lean toward Godzilla vs. Biollante simply because the human component is more engaging. It's very close otherwise.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

MekaGojira3k wrote:I think both are great but I'm gonna lean toward Godzilla vs. Biollante simply because the human component is more engaging. It's very close otherwise.
It's taken me weeks to bring myself around to voting, but I finally pulled the trigger on Biollante, for exactly this reason.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.