How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Post by Godzillian »

The other kaiju made to fight Gyaos

kamilleblu
G-Grasper

Post by kamilleblu »

Isn't Barugon The White Tiger of Asian mythology? What are Zigra and Jiger in the Heisei continuity?

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

kamilleblu wrote:Isn't Barugon The White Tiger of Asian mythology? What are Zigra and Jiger in the Heisei continuity?
I haven't found a reliable translation but the one I did said Jiger was the tiger and barugon the dragon.

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Gamera = Genbu, Irys = Suzaku, Jiger = Byakko, Barugon = Seiryu

That leaves Zigra with Oryu, the dragon of the center.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Forget the symbolism each kaiju was given in the 3rd film. I want to know why they thought a fish kaiju would be a good choice to fight Gyaos. As long as the gyaos are inland they are out of Zigra reach

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

Godzillian wrote:Forget the symbolism each kaiju was given in the 3rd film. I want to know why they thought a fish kaiju would be a good choice to fight Gyaos. As long as the gyaos are inland they are out of Zigra reach
Zigra can walk on land though.
Resized Image
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Welcome to Toho Kingdom, where every conceivable opinion, no matter how outlandish or unpopular, is a possibility among the population.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Ivo-goji wrote:
Godzillian wrote:Forget the symbolism each kaiju was given in the 3rd film. I want to know why they thought a fish kaiju would be a good choice to fight Gyaos. As long as the gyaos are inland they are out of Zigra reach
Zigra can walk on land though.
Barley though, most of the time he's just flailing around

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...
Last edited by Zarm on Tue Apr 24, 2018 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Zarm wrote:Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...
OT, I feel like the only person who fucking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'd be curouis to see what new abilities (if any) Zigra and Jiger would have had if they were in the heisei continuity. Barugon didn't gain much but his abilities were heavily suped up in the manga and he gained the ability to use his freeze spray to create blizzards

Added in 37 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
Zarm wrote:Well, Zigra did have a ray that made flying things crash in the film... and I'll bet a Gyaos in the water would be fairly helpless. Maybe that was the plan- shoot them out of the sky, then tear them apart when they fall in the water; and meanwhile, be relatively protected underwater, where Zigra can get to them, but they can't get to him? It makes a strange kind of sense, as long as he operated in conjunction with another kaiju that can tackle them on land...
OT, I feel like the only person who skreeonking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)
No, those aren't Toho films. I'm a fan of Zigra myself, I just feel he got the short end of the stick when it came to his film and execution

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Post by Maritonic »

Godzillian wrote:I'd be curouis to see what new abilities (if any) Zigra and Jiger would have had if they were in the heisei continuity. Barugon didn't gain much but his abilities were heavily suped up in the manga and he gained the ability to use his freeze spray to create blizzards

Added in 37 seconds:
Maritonic wrote:
OT, I feel like the only person who skreeonking LOVES Zigra. His look, his roar, everything about him. (Do we not have talkback threads for the Showa Gamera films?)
No, those aren't Toho films. I'm a fan of Zigra myself, I just feel he got the short end of the stick when it came to his film and execution
Yeah I know they're not Toho films, I'm just a bit surprised no one started any threads in the general media area.

I agree on the film's execution of the monster, though.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Maritonic wrote:
Although I have only seen clips- yes I must say he is pretty dang cool. He has a skreeonk ton of potential if his character is ever revisited.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Some sort of forgotten science and alchemy probably. Someone mentioned Golems and I don't think it's too far off. Gyaos was created as a weapon but before they lost control, they did a "prototype" protector model based off a Gyaos and somehow it got deformed it. During this time or between the creation of Gyaos to the fall of Atlantis - they worked on Gamera.

Or that these things were always here and they somehow became Mana mutants? /shrug

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult

SpaceG92
Keizer

Post by SpaceG92 »

Godzillian wrote:One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult
Problems with Alchemy I guess. You get what you get.

Though, to over quote a certain movie character;
"The error in man is thinking nature is in our control and not the other way around."

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

I'm curious why Irys failed. It had no real defects and is super strong. If a psycho doesn't raise it, that would be a gyaos exterminator

Ivo-goji
EDF Instructor

Post by Ivo-goji »

The key point being "if a psycho doesn't raise it".

Though I think with Ryu Sei Cho's blood drinking, he was always a double-edged-sword. Granted, so is Gamera and his Mana Cannon. They both hurt the things they're designed to protect.
Resized Image

GodzillaFan1990's
Sazer

Post by GodzillaFan1990's »

Godzillian wrote:One had to wonder why Atlantis never built a "kill switch" into the DNA of the Gyaos. Also from the manga one of the problems with Barugon is that it went out of control as well. To make things worse it didn't eat people, it brainwashed them into worshipping it like some cult
Because there'd be no story then. Plot demanded it. :lol: :P
Last edited by GodzillaFan1990's on Tue Apr 24, 2018 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PitchBlackProgress
EDF Instructor

Post by PitchBlackProgress »

Wow, that’s pretty interesting, what’s the lowdown on all of Atlantis’s monsters?
Yeah, Godzilla wins... sometimes. I mean, he was killed by Dr. Serizawa's patented bubble-bath formula, heartburn, missiles, and poor box office returns, got his ass kicked by a drunken, circus-escaped gorilla, then he was beaten by two newborn worms, yeah some “king”.
#slatternking

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

So looked back at the manga. Barugon would hypnotize people into worshipping it like a God. They would then bring it jewels to eat and even protect it from other humans. When the police come to put down a young barugon (about the size of a car) its followers use themselves as human shields in front of it and even attack the police to let Barugon get away

Added in 4 minutes 55 seconds:
PitchBlackProgress wrote:
Wow, that’s pretty interesting, what’s the lowdown on all of Atlantis’s monsters?
Basically Atlantis made a few to put down Gyaos and they all failed for one reason or another. Gamera was the last to be made and while he worked, it was too late for Atlantis. It seems they all survived into modern times since Gamera, Gyaos, Irys, and Barugon are all around in the heisei film timeline. Gamera seems to be the only one that was directly involved with the end of Atlantis since the rest hatched from eggs and grew. Jiger and Zigra seemingly were gone for good.