How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Re: How do you think the Atlanteans created Gamera, Gyaos and Iris?

Post by Omegazilla »

Major sssspielberg! wrote: Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:13 pm After watching the trilogy for the first time in years...
Gamera 3 has no business being as great as it is.
Retcons, a huge detour to focus on the enemy monster, unprecedented use of digital effects and cgi in a japanese kaiju production, an angsty teen girl...
But imo the passion of the filmmakers, to improve and evolve their own craft and in a way filmmaking as a whole, and to tell a story that has emotional punch and serve as a pretty definitive end to a story completely saves it.
All that being said I still have no goddamn idea how /why Iris is connected to the Gyaos. :?
I agree with this. Rather than being "mystified" at Iris' ambiguous past, I just find it irritating because it removes any real backstory for good development. Unless I am missing something that only the Japanese language could express that got lost in translation. We got more details on Gamera and Gyaos. We know why they exist and their relationship with each other. Legion didn't really need much more explanation. They are a species that conquer worlds for a living. Nothing else to really know. We know what the Legion are and why they do what they do. We don't get a definitive to answer to these questions for Iris. I know some believe in "less is more", but I don't. I want to know why I should bother with a character or not rather than just being given very vague and conflicting tidbits and expecting me to fill in the blanks for your lazy writing.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

Omegazilla wrote: Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:00 pm I want to know why I should bother with a character or not rather than just being given very vague and conflicting tidbits and expecting me to fill in the blanks for your lazy writing.
I disagree that the writing is lazy, I would say G3 had the opposite problem. I think Itō and Kaneko were trying to go grand. The only reason this makes the film suffer (noticably imo but nowhere near enough to ruin a fantastic film) is that (for those of us outside Japanese culture) it complicates the relatively simple lore of the trilogy.
End of the day I don't think it really makes the sense some stans want you to think (especially if you have to make a video-equivialant of a Pepe Silvia board explaining how it makes perfect sense and you're a blockhead for not understanding that lol) but it does work within the film itself, and adds to the uneasy apocalyptic vibe of the film.
Tldr- the mythical origin implications of G3 do complicate the lore of the trilogy but work well for the film and G3 still works fantastically as a finale to the trilogy, and certainly doesn't constitute "lazy" writing, in my opinion.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know, one magazine page did say Iris was from space. Think he was created by some weird reverse engineering of an alien lifeforms body?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!