Most pointless plot devices of the Heisei series

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Jesse
Samurai

Re: Most pointless plot devices of the Heisei series

Post by Jesse »

JAGzilla wrote:
LiquidG wrote: Alternatively, they could've tried the bird calls again in a later movie, only to find that Godzilla doesn't respond to them anymore. Either because they only work at certain times for whatever natural reason, or because he remembers what happened the last time he followed them. A scene like that would likely only take a minute or two, maybe less if it's just worked into the dialogue. "Well, we tried the bird call thing again, but Gudziller ignored them, yadda yadda blah."
They could have used the bird calls to their advantage, such as directing Godzilla towards SpaceGodzilla. Or, as you've already said, Godzilla may not respond to the sounds, showing his development throughout the series.

As campy as it may sound, perhaps the mechs in the series (i.e., Super X 2/3, MechaGodzilla, Etc.) could have had an artificial bird call built in, so the military could lure Godzilla away from a heavily populated area.

Anything at all to reference that plot point would suffice.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

For me the MPPDOTHS was Battra in GvsM. Battra represents the dark side of nature turned destructive when mankind tried to play god. Huhh........ Isn't that what Godzilla is?

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

The bird calls were a clever trick for the first film, though the later films just used Godzilla's child as bait. I don't know if they just wanted to add another monster to the film, or wanted to create a sympathetic situation , or both.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

SUPERTOHOREMIX
Futurian

Post by SUPERTOHOREMIX »

Tyler wrote:For a series that made a point to stick to continuity they sure treated them like individual entries.
Honestly - the first 3 felt more like a trilogy.

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

Sorry to ask, but what exactly is this yakuza plot everyone is mentioning? My memory of GvsSG is a bit rusty......

Anyways on topic:

1. Godzilla in GvsM: Battle for Earth. I also agree that it should have been a Mothra movie without Godzilla.

2. Super X-2. Sorry, but I also agree that the Super X-2 doesn't really add anything to GvsB's plot other than being another device to get on Godzilla's nerves.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

godzilla98rules wrote:Sorry to ask, but what exactly is this yakuza plot everyone is mentioning? My memory of GvsSG is a bit rusty......

Anyways on topic:

1. Godzilla in GvsM: Battle for Earth. I also agree that it should have been a Mothra movie without Godzilla.

2. Super X-2. Sorry, but I also agree that the Super X-2 doesn't really add anything to GvsB's plot other than being another device to get on Godzilla's nerves.
In Spacegodzilla the Japanese mafia ( yakuza ) capture miki and try to use her as a controller for Godzilla.
TK's official member of the "Three L's of the Apocalypse"

godzilla98rules
EDF Instructor

Post by godzilla98rules »

^I remember now. Thank You.
godzilla98rules's Digital Paintings & More: http://godzilla98artworks.weebly.com/index.html
GeekyAustin: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQloD4 ... EJpzdZq3ag

Resized Image Resized Image

R.I.P. George Root III

three
Keizer

Post by three »

Tyler wrote:For a series that made a point to stick to continuity they sure treated them like individual entries.

attempts at loose continuity can be blamed for a few of these pointless devices. the super x 2 in biollante, the yakuza mind control plot (a convenient way to include miki, who herself was kinda pointless with her psych powers), Godzilla appearing in TBFE (this is half sarcastic humor, and half serious). really though so much of this could have been worked in well.
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

Gojira is:Very Hiroshima®
axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

sir isaac newton is the deadliest son - of - a - bitch in space.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Even though Mothra is popular, adding Godzilla brought more interest to the film.

As for Miki, she was useful in vs Biollante, but her character had less use with each film. She was nothing more than Godzilla's advocate in most films.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Mothra after her film. She literally was written out of the series with her having to go into space because she "promised" Battra. How cool would it have been if she helped fight godzilla in spacegodzilla?

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^ Teleporters? :eh:

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

Godzilla14 wrote:The teleporters from GvB and project T.
Those weren't teleporters, they were artifical lighting cunducters, and they were important to the plot concerning getting Godzilla's temperature up so the ANEB could spread.

three
Keizer

Post by three »

LiquidG wrote:
Godzilla14 wrote:The teleporters from GvB and project T.
Those weren't teleporters, they were artifical lighting cunducters, and they were important to the plot concerning getting Godzilla's temperature up so the ANEB could spread.

thank you for explaining what we didn't understand that G14 had said :)

now if nobody minds, lets try not to let this blow up into a storm of whining about members on the forum (preventative measure here).
:pokeball: :cookie: :mechagodzilla: "I'm on a drug called Charlie Sheen" ~ Charlie Sheen

axnyslie wrote:I read that too quickly I though you said land MINES. Yes they are still out there so step lightly!
Well, I've read through that handbook for the recently deceased. It says: 'live people ignore the strange and unusual. I, myself, am strange and unusual. ~ Lydia Deetz

LiquidG
Terminated
Terminated

Post by LiquidG »

I'm done getting bent out of shape about a few nuts in here to be honest, I think i will just start using the ignore feature, I'm not getting in trouble for stupid shit.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

We have to name two?

I honestly can only think of one at the moment: Rodan.

What purpose does Rodan serve in the movie besides being a plot device? Absolutely nothing. You could have taken Rodan out of the entire movie (except the first scenes he's in) and nothing would have changed.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

UltramanGoji wrote:We have to name two?

I honestly can only think of one at the moment: Rodan.

What purpose does Rodan serve in the movie besides being a plot device? Absolutely nothing. You could have taken Rodan out of the entire movie (except the first scenes he's in) and nothing would have changed.
He stopped Godzilla from getting the egg which allowed the team to bring in to Japan. He captured baby and that chick and stopped them from being used as bait to make Godzilla go to that birth island. He revived Godzilla at the end of the film. If you took him out the film would be extremely different.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Aw I loved the prehistoric Mothra larvaes!

Anyway yeah Yakuza stuff and robo-pteranadon.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

Miki Saegusa. She's only kind of useful in Biollante and Space Godzilla. In the other movies, she's completely useless.

The Godzillasaurus being teleported away from Lagos island. Everything happened anyway because everyone still knew who Godzilla was.
...And somehow they knew King Ghidorah's name.
Kinda makes me wonder if Godzilla encountered Ghidorah at some point in time before that movie.
I've seen that movie 30+ times and I still don't know the reason for them going back to the 20th century.
Ugh.
Fuckthismovie
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"

three
Keizer

Post by three »

2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote: Kinda makes me wonder if Godzilla encountered Ghidorah at some point in time before that movie.
I've seen that movie 30+ times and I still don't know the reason for them going back to the 20th century.
Ugh.
it's called the predestination paradox.

2009MECHAGODZILLA
Futurian

Post by 2009MECHAGODZILLA »

three wrote:
2009MECHAGODZILLA wrote: Kinda makes me wonder if Godzilla encountered Ghidorah at some point in time before that movie.
Ugh.
it's called the predestination paradox.
fuckthismovie
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=21114

Commission prices: https://www.deviantart.com/snake151/jou ... -848926845
"Disappointing! Re-watch the 1954 original. THAT is the correct form!!!"