Monster Discussion #56: Grand King Ghidorah

For discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released from 1980 up to 1998 (includes Gamera 3)
Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Re: Monster Discussion #56: Grand King Ghidorah

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

I think people overlook the fact that Ghidorah was only STARTING with the kids first for the fun of it. He would've moved onto the planet itself eventually.
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:I think people overlook the fact that Ghidorah was only STARTING with the kids first for the fun of it. He would've moved onto the planet itself eventually.
Moll and Lora say he's eating kids because they have more energy and he would have left. He started with just Japan.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

miguelnuva wrote:
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:I think people overlook the fact that Ghidorah was only STARTING with the kids first for the fun of it. He would've moved onto the planet itself eventually.
Moll and Lora say he's eating kids because they have more energy and he would have left. He started with just Japan.
And yet the whole time he was razing Japan to the ground while waiting for them to be made into sustenance. He would have destroyed the whole planet too.
Resized Image

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
And yet the whole time he was razing Japan to the ground while waiting for them to be made into sustenance. He would have destroyed the whole planet too.
It's not stated he wanted to destroy the planet. The first time he arrived he just ate the Dinosaurs and even the Mothra's were left alone.

His destruction was likely more for bordem then destroying the whole planet.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

And the fact that nearly all Kaiju films have some level of city or structure destruction.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

I wonder if this version of King Ghidorah was somewhat inspired by the doomed Godzilla vs Emperor Ghidorah concept that never made it to script.

Either way, he definitely lives up to such a reputation.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:40 pm Grand King Ghidorah is what Showa Ghidorah should've stayed post-GTTHM and what MonsterVerse Ghidorah was built up to be but sadly failed to live up to: an uncontrollable, nigh-unstoppable sadistic destroyer of worlds who doesn't give a skreeonk. Grand and Showa are easily my two favorite King Ghidorah incarnations.
In what way did MV Ghidorah fail in this? He literally causes an actual apocalypse on the Earth bringing death to Mothra, making Rodan and almost all the Titans of Earth bend the knee to it, and nearly killed Godzilla. Seems MV Ghidorah was everything it was advertised.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:32 pm
ShinGojira14 wrote: Thu Aug 20, 2020 12:40 pm Grand King Ghidorah is what Showa Ghidorah should've stayed post-GTTHM and what MonsterVerse Ghidorah was built up to be but sadly failed to live up to: an uncontrollable, nigh-unstoppable sadistic destroyer of worlds who doesn't give a skreeonk. Grand and Showa are easily my two favorite King Ghidorah incarnations.
In what way did MV Ghidorah fail in this? He literally causes an actual apocalypse on the Earth bringing death to Mothra, making Rodan and almost all the Titans of Earth bend the knee to it, and nearly killed Godzilla. Seems MV Ghidorah was everything it was advertised.
Technically Ghidorah just directed all his minions to help him cause an apocalypse on earth.

Showa Ghids ain't need no help to destroy worlds. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:49 am
Technically Ghidorah just directed all his minions to help him cause an apocalypse on earth.

I think he coulda appreciated the help in DAM :P

Back to Rebirth's Ghidorah however, I actually would believe this design was at least partially inspired by the unused Emperor Ghidorah concept. Given that the rebirth series was initially conceived as in continuity with the Heisei Godzilla series, at least from several sources, it's possible.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:49 am

See if Showa Ghidorah didn't get mind controlled every other film it was in, I could get behind this. As it stands it falls under mind control wuss territory that the Heisei Ghidorah is victim towards. MV Ghidorah had minions, but they were portrayed as his minions rather than him being a tool for another and he was more than eager to get his hands dirty in destroying the world.

As far as Grand vs. Emperor Ghidorah is concerned, maybe? Wouldn't shock me if Toho decided to make use of that old concept when deciding to bring Ghidorah to the Rebirth canon.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

MV Ghidorah was also getting repeatedly mind controlled by the Orca every time the characters turned it on. And they don’t even have advanced alien technology to justify that. :P
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:38 pm MV Ghidorah was also getting repeatedly mind controlled by the Orca every time the characters turned it on. And they don’t even have advanced alien technology to justify that. :P
Distracted, not mind controlled. And Ghidorah sought to destroy it for the very reason it was quelling the other Titans' and its orders to them. Better than an alien race whose advance tech was bested by a radio lol

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

godjacob wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:49 pm
Kaiju-King42 wrote: Fri Nov 27, 2020 12:38 pm MV Ghidorah was also getting repeatedly mind controlled by the Orca every time the characters turned it on. And they don’t even have advanced alien technology to justify that. :P
Distracted, not mind controlled. And Ghidorah sought to destroy it for the very reason it was quelling the other Titans' and its orders to them. Better than an alien race whose advance tech was bested by a radio lol
This. Saying he was mind controlled is a bit like saying a fly is mind controlling you when you angrily swat at it. It caused you to take action yes, but I think it's a bridge too far to say it was forcing you.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

The orca was the equivalent of your nehiboor egging your house and telling you to do something about it.

Not mind control.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Getting back to topic....

GKG had the best head design of the Ghidorahs. The crescent horn was a nice touch, and the eyes had a menacing look.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

GKG I felt was hindered by the budget of the film he was in. There was a glorious destruction scene of the city which really could have help cemented its terrifying power and cruel nature, but the one we get instead is laughable due to the budget.

GKG deserved more there.

ShinGojira14
Xilien Halfling

Post by ShinGojira14 »

edgaguirus wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 1:19 pm Getting back to topic....

GKG had the best head design of the Ghidorahs. The crescent horn was a nice touch, and the eyes had a menacing look.
He definitely had a far more Showa-feel to his design than the previous incarnation did. Aside from the lack of manes on his necks, he basically looked like a perfect modernized (for the time) revamp of the Showa King Ghidorah.

Definitely one of my two favorite designs for the character.
"William Knifeman! AH! AH! AH!"

Resized ImageResized Image