GODZILLA VS. BIOLLANTE DVD/Blu-ray from Echo Bridge

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Ethan
G-Grasper

Re: Help get Biollante on R1 DVD 2.0

Post by Ethan »

I wonder, even if Echo Bridge isn't allowed to make their own tranfer, would Toho be awfully upset about colour correcting it?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

^ Funny that you should mention that, because if you compare the Classic Media DVD of RODAN to the Toho DVD, they are identical transfers (surprise, anyone?) except the CM has contrast and color alterations.

It would appear that Echo Bridge has the ability to get a new HD transfer made, but it's too expensive and they aren't risking it. I think it would be neat if Echo did a quick, fresh anamorphic SD transfer of the English print for the DVD and relegated the Toho HD version to the Blu-ray edition. If worse comes to worse, only the opening and ending credits could be transferred from the 35mm and included as an extra on the BD. Is there a chance any of this could happen, mxg744?
Last edited by Tamura on Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:58 pm, edited 14 times in total.

Ethan
G-Grasper

Post by Ethan »

Tamura wrote:^ Funny that you should mention that, because if you compare the Classic Media DVD of RODAN to the Toho DVD, they are identical transfers (surprise, anyone?) except the CM has contrast and color alterations.
For the better or worse?
"If only all garden variety fans had just one neck!"

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

Ethan wrote:
Tamura wrote:^ Funny that you should mention that, because if you compare the Classic Media DVD of RODAN to the Toho DVD, they are identical transfers (surprise, anyone?) except the CM has contrast and color alterations.
For the better or worse?
See for yourself:
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1157125/toho- ... t_17233721

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

wataru wrote: But it makes no sense to buy the same movie on more then one format at the same time. It's like buying Planet of the Apes on DVD and Blu-Ray at the same time. Why? The BRD is superior.

I could understand if the DVD came out first, then the BRD months or years later..

..and BTW it's not illegal to back up your own BRDs and DVDs. You can even do it legally at Walmart.
It's not practical, no. I'm not saying it is. But I want to complete my Godzilla DVD collection anyway. I'm not saying it's illegal to back up your discs either. There are people who think "Hmm, I like this" and then illegally download it online instead of paying the 15 bucks or whatever to buy it on home media. That's what I'm talking about, but that's sure to derail this thread so I'll leave the illegal subject to that much.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

KeizerKing81
Yojimbo

Post by KeizerKing81 »

mxg744 wrote:But also on this point... What do you guys think of the magazine Japanese Giants? A representative from there contacted us about the upcoming release and offered to assist in making bonus features, probably for a fee, so we would have to fight the marketing & product development team to approve of that expense, but is it worth exploring or do they have no credibility?
Truthfully, I wouldn't even waste the time...they may be reputable but you would probably have to pay a fee to Toho as well for whatever bonus features they produce. Toho charges for everything and they have to approve whatever extra content you want to put on that disc so I would be careful in regards to what you want to include.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

Tamura wrote:This is one of the few times I would rather not hear a historian commentary on a Godzilla film. I mean, it's only like 20 years old...
Yeah but there's quite an interesting story behind the making of the film (like the fact that the original script was the result of a contest). If the Toho-made features are approved and include much of this, that's one thing. But if they don't get approved (or don't cover it) then I'm all for it. And even so, it's nice to have an American perspective on these films since this is an NA release.

So mxg744, I'd recommend pursuing this. At least look into the cost. I feel like it may be cheaper overall than getting the Toho materials (but I'm no expert...maybe Kpa would know *hint hint*) and it would be a way to put the film into perspective for American audiences.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

KeizerKing81 wrote:
mxg744 wrote:But also on this point... What do you guys think of the magazine Japanese Giants? A representative from there contacted us about the upcoming release and offered to assist in making bonus features, probably for a fee, so we would have to fight the marketing & product development team to approve of that expense, but is it worth exploring or do they have no credibility?
Truthfully, I wouldn't even waste the time...they may be reputable but you would probably have to pay a fee to Toho as well for whatever bonus features they produce. Toho charges for everything and they have to approve whatever extra content you want to put on that disc so I would be careful in regards to what you want to include.
Why are you discouraging him, exactly? Did you not see my post earlier? :eh:
Goji wrote: Japanese Giants is edited and run by Ed Godziszewski, who is a very respectable person in the the fandom. Other than publishing Japanese Giants for several decades, as well as the The Illustrated Encyclopedia of Godzilla, he's done audio commentaries for Classic Media's releases of MOTHRA VS. GODZILLA, Sony's releases of MOTHRA and BATTE IN OUTER SPACE, and more recently, an audio commentary for Media Blaster's release of DESTROY ALL MONSTERS.

He also produced a documentary entitled BRINGING GODZILLA DOWN TO SIZE, about the legacy of Japanese SPX techniques, which was released in 2009 on Classic Media's RODAN/WAR OF THE GARGANTUAS double feature DVD set.
This is most definitely someone you would want helping you out with something like this. I don't know what paying Toho a fee has to do with having Ed G help out. He has relations with Toho, and may even have things from his personal collection that he could add. Sure, there will be a licensing fee for all the extra content that's added, but that's beside the point.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

KeizerKing81
Yojimbo

Post by KeizerKing81 »

Goji wrote:
KeizerKing81 wrote:
Why are you discouraging him, exactly? Did you not see my post earlier? :eh:

This is most definitely someone you would want helping you out with something like this. I don't know what paying Toho a fee has to do with having Ed G help out. He has relations with Toho, and may even have things from his personal collection that he could add. Sure, there will be a licensing fee for all the extra content that's added, but that's beside the point.
Yes, I saw your post from earlier.

I'm certain that Toho can charge a fee as well even if they don't supply the materials. Media Blasters used a great deal of items from Ed's personal collection and that's what got them into hot water because none of those extras were approved by Toho. Toho will have to give the ok for whatever additional content they wish to use for the disc and in addition, probably charge Miramax/EchoBridge for it.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Well...yeah. Hence me saying "there will be a licensing fee for all the extra content that's added". Echo Bridge just needs to not make the same mistakes that Media Blasters made, and make sure that all the extra content they want to include is first approved by Toho. It's really that simple.
Last edited by Goji on Fri Jun 08, 2012 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

I agree, have Ed do a commentary track or something.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Wow, I stop visiting the forums for a couple weeks and this is what happens? :shock: Maybe I should do this more often.

Seriously though, this is pretty cool. I'm excited.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tim85
EDF Instructor

Post by Tim85 »

I'm looking forward to this. I'm glad we have someone from Echo Bridge here to gauge fan reactions. I always appreciate a big company having someone that does this. While it shouldn't be 100% based off fans, it's nice that our opinions are being looked at and considered as well. Thank you.
I was mentioned in the SciFi Japan article about the appearence of extras on the Godzilla vs. Megalon DVD.

http://www.scifijapan.com/articles/2012 ... p-mystery/

GodzillaFreak99
EDF Instructor

Post by GodzillaFreak99 »

To whom it may concern,

Hello, my name is Matthew Bennett, and I heard you have the rights to Godzilla vs. Biollante. Do you have any thoughts or plans to release the film on either DVD, or BLU-ray?

If so, I would be extremely greatful, as that is one of my all-time favorite Godzilla films.

Not only is it one of my all-time favorites, but tons of other G-fan's as well, and all of us would appreciate the film's release On either one of the previously mentiond media devices.

Thankyou for your time,
Matthew Bennett
"There is no fate but what we make for ourselves."
GodzillavsJason wrote:I am considered to be one of the worst type of people in the world which is being a straight white man.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Yes, it's coming out on both DVD and BD. No date yet.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I eagerly anticipate this movie's home video release, and I'm very glad to hear that Echo Bridge is doing their best to give it a release that does it justice.

mxg744
Yojimbo

Post by mxg744 »

Ethan wrote:I wonder, even if Echo Bridge isn't allowed to make their own tranfer, would Toho be awfully upset about colour correcting it?
Its not that we aren't allowed. The issue is that the proper people who can approve this expense at Miramax and Echo Bridge don't see the ROI in getting a completely new transfer. As for color correction... we'll see. If we do, we would do it during the authoring process. Miramax told me they took delivery of a direct clone of Toho's HDCAMSR.

It would appear that Echo Bridge has the ability to get a new HD transfer made, but it's too expensive and they aren't risking it. I think it would be neat if Echo did a quick, fresh anamorphic SD transfer of the English print for the DVD and relegated the Toho HD version to the Blu-ray edition. If worse comes to worse, only the opening and ending credits could be transferred from the 35mm and included as an extra on the BD. Is there a chance any of this could happen, mxg744?
Again, any new transfer from 35mm (whether SD or HD) is quite expensive. I have not gone to any of the facilities we use for this process, but they always seem to quote us nearly the same price for both end results. SD is maybe $1,000-$2,000 cheaper than HD, but that's not a huge difference when the total cost is between $20-$30k. And just doing the opening and end credits... what is different about those in the english print from the international print? Am I forgetting something?
KeizerKing81 wrote:I'm certain that Toho can charge a fee as well even if they don't supply the materials. Media Blasters used a great deal of items from Ed's personal collection and that's what got them into hot water because none of those extras were approved by Toho. Toho will have to give the ok for whatever additional content they wish to use for the disc and in addition, probably charge Miramax/EchoBridge for it.
I am no expert on this... I've only been doing my job since 2004... I've never heard of Company A charging Company B for content created by Company C just because it was packaged with content from Company A. I do believe you are right on the approval part. Different contracts include different clauses and details about what can be done with the licensor's content. Luckily our contract does not extend to giving Toho approval on our disc. We rarely give any licensor full 'veto' approval so that we can release product that fits our customer base and our knowledge of what that customer base wants. (Some producers and content owners are a little disconnected to say the least)

I did email Mr Godziszewski on the 12th, but I have not heard back from him.

It does look like Toho is clearing the bonus content from their BD release for us to use on our domestic release. I will be sending it out as soon as we get final word on what's approved for subtitling. I'm not going to get dubs for these, mostly because of personal preference, but also because dubbing is quite a bit more expensive.

@GodzillaFreak99/Matthew Bennett
Yes, read the last couple pages of this thread :) we do not have a release date yet, but both a DVD and BD will happen.

As a general update, we still have not received the HDCAMSR in our vault. Apparently the English track the Miramax is trying to lay back against this master is not fitting perfectly so they are still working on it. I do have the HBO laserdisc, Hong Kong Laserdisc, and R3 DVD all waiting on hand in case we need them for reference.

Other than that, nothing much to say.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I thought that was quite a bit to say - and I appreciate it.

Admittedly, I don't actually understand all of what you're saying, but I appreciate that you're keeping in contact with us. It gives me a lot of faith in this project to hear about its progress. Thank you.

Gojira1963
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira1963 »

This is on my "must have list" and I will track this thread for when it will be released.
Liam F.

My science fiction/Fantasy blog. with Godzilla content! http://foleyfunfilmfacts.wordpress.com/

SteveRGR
GPN Volunteer

Post by SteveRGR »

mxg744 wrote:I'm not going to get dubs for these, mostly because of personal preference, but also because dubbing is quite a bit more expensive.
Does this mean there will be no English dub? Because, if so, that would be extremely disappointing. I mean, I can get the japanese dub on DVD just fine, I'm hoping for an english dub I can have on disc since that's the one that's really unavailable. If I'm misunderstanding, I'm sorry for the confusion.
Daddy's home. Cake. Every. Night.