How Toho and Criterion could get me back to the fandom...

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Gojira69
Yojimbo

How Toho and Criterion could get me back to the fandom...

Post by Gojira69 »

I am 65. I have been a Toho film fan since I was about 5 years old. I have seen every Godzilla film ever released in the US in the theater many, many, multiple times each. I have bought whatever Godzilla, Mothra, or other Toho special effects films have been released to home video in the US. I have bought them again, replacing the former in any new format as they have come out.

In 2019, Criterion released "Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975 (Criterion Collection) (Blu-ray)" I did not buy this.

I will tell you how this release has changed me, but also, how I perhaps could be changed back...

Before the release of this set by Criterion I was anxiously awaiting it, having every expectation that we would be seeing a release that would be even more epic than Classic Media's DVDs were more than a decade before. I even sold my out-of-print copy of Sony's Son of Godzilla thinking the same version of this film would be included in the Criterion set. I am glad I found out the real truth about the Criterion set before I sold off more...

When it was revealed in 2019 that the Criterion set would not contain the US versions of the films I was crest-fallen. I cannot tell you how disappointed I was. My disappointment turned to anger as I realized how poorly Toho has treated the US-based fandom in tying Criterion's hands. I realize now they do not appreciate the way fanatics like me have kept the franchise alive in the US, supporting each and every release in the US market. You see, I do not watch the Japanese versions of the films. I'm not that sort of fan.

Since then I have put Godzilla away, the figures, the ephemera. This fall, I finally sold off my entire Godzilla collection, gathered together since the early 60's for a few thousands of US dollars. I do not believe I am alone in feeling like this.

But now I have had some time to calm down. I realize there is a road back for me. I could become a Godzilla fanatic once more. Here's how I suggest Criterion and Toho make this right...

Criterion (if they didn't take it on the nose with people NOT buying the first set) could release "Godzilla: The Showa-Era Films, 1954-1975: The US Collection". In this set would be included:

Godzilla, King of the Monsters! (1956) Hollywood
Gigantis, the Fire Monster (1959) Ryder Sound Service, Hollywood
King Kong vs. Godzilla (1963) Ryder Sound, Hollywood
Godzilla vs the Thing (1964) Titra Sound Studios, New York
Ghidrah, the Three-Headed Monster (1965) Bellucci Productions, New York (credited to Joe Bellucci)
Monster Zero (1970) Glen Glenn Sound, New York
Godzilla versus the Sea Monster (1968) Peter Fernandez, New York (likely at the studios of Titan Productions, Inc.)
Son of Godzilla (1969) Peter Fernandez, New York (likely at the studios of Titan Productions, Inc.)
Destroy All Monsters (1969) Titan Productions, Inc., New York (the renamed sound recording division of Titra Sound Studios)
Godzilla's Revenge (1971) Ryder Sound Services, Hollywood
Godzilla vs. the Smog Monster (1972) Titan Productions, Inc., New York

There is a precedent for this sort of release catering to American fandom.  In 2014, Apple Records released The Beatles' "The U.S. Albums", which was the albums as originally released in the US in the 60's and 70's.

If Toho would give the greenlight to Criterion for releasing the US versions of the Showa era Godzilla films, and if Criterion would do so, I'd be back in "full fan mode". Not only would I buy that set, I'd buy the set released in 2019 in order to be a completist. For now, I'm happy with my Classic Media and Tokyo Shock DVDs, and fan reconstructions (thank you Red Menace!).

Please forgive me for wearing my emotional state so openly, but I felt I needed a platform to do this.

Bob Burns
San Francisco
Last edited by Gojira69 on Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Crazy Jim Films
Monarch Researcher

Re: How Toho and Criterion could get me back to the fandom...

Post by Crazy Jim Films »

Love to see it but not a very high likelihood of it happening.
Check out the PG version of my short film, "Destroy All Sisters".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNVCmLaqznA&t=1s

Maritonic
Admin | Forum Manager
Admin | Forum Manager

Re: How Toho and Criterion could get me back to the fandom...

Post by Maritonic »

There's no reason for this not to be in the Criterion thread.
Any issues, please feel free to private message me or e-mail me at MaritonicTK@gmail.com.
Bruno says we're not supposed to hate.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote: Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:24 pm Don't go to a friend's wedding, send him 100 copies of Gamera vs Zigra instead. Be a man.