I want to try to convince Toho to release "King Kong Escapes" on Blu-ray in Japan

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

I want to try to convince Toho to release "King Kong Escapes" on Blu-ray in Japan

Post by John Pannozzi »

Ok, this is a bold move on my part.

But I really want to do my help to convince Toho to release King Kong Escapes on Blu-ray in Japan.
It could be a tie-in with Godzilla vs. Kong, which is currently slated for release here in States on November 20th, and I guess a Japanese release is coming around the same time.

By now, Toho has released most of its more well-known non-Godzilla kaiju films (the two Frankenstein movies, all four Mothra solo films, Rodan, Matango and Atragon) on Blu-ray in Japan, but KKE is somewhat conspicuously absent.

An HD remaster of this film appeared on Japanese TV in 2018, so they could use that for the Blu-ray. And port over the extras from the DVD: the audio commentary, still gallery, 5.1 remixed audio track, textless trailer, and the Toho Champion Festival cut of the film (that last feature I personally don't care for, but I get that Japanese viewers of a certain age would be nostalgic for it).

At this page, you can send a message to Toho ( use maybe Bing Translator or Google Translate to help make out the Japanese text).

Here's the message I sent to Toho a few months ago, both the original English and the somewhat rough Bing translation into Japanese (the latter version is what I actually sent them, FYI):
I would like to see you release 「キングコングの逆襲」 on Blu-ray. It could be an appropriate tie-in to the upcoming release of 「ゴジラVSコング」 later this year.
Rough Bing translation:
私はあなたがブルーレイで「キングコングの逆襲」をリリースするのを見たいと思います。 今年後半に公開される「ゴジラVSコング」の劇場公開に適したタイアップになるかもしれない。
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Fri May 15, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Friends don't lie.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Re: I want to try to convince Toho to release "King Kong Escapes" on Blu-ray in Japan

Post by Rody »

I'd say go for it! Maybe a Japanese-fluent member could also review this for grammar.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Re: I want to try to convince Toho to release "King Kong Escapes" on Blu-ray in Japan

Post by John Pannozzi »

Rody wrote:I'd say go for it! Maybe a Japanese-fluent member could also review this for grammar.
We'll I've already sent Toho a message about it. I'd really appreciate it others did the same.
Last edited by John Pannozzi on Fri May 15, 2020 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Friends don't lie.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Ehhh.....
I doubt this will go anywhere. I'd much rather see a King Kong Escapes Blu-Ray with both the Japanese and English versions released in America.

Also the Bing translation is garbage because it makes it seem like you want to see King Kong Escapes on blu-ray as in you want to see a physical disc, versus the sentiment of "I want to buy a blu-ray of KKE" or "if it were available I would buy a blu-ray of King Kong Escapes".
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri May 15, 2020 6:09 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

You sure this film isn't getting a Blu-Ray release because of the absolute clustertruck that is Kong's rights? Just saying, it's a possibility.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

tyrantgoji wrote:You sure this film isn't getting a Blu-Ray release because of the absolute clustertruck that is Kong's rights? Just saying, it's a possibility.
No, they own this film outright. It's been released on video and DVD in Japan. The only reason it's not yet on Blu-ray is because there's not much of a market for BD in Japan.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:You sure this film isn't getting a Blu-Ray release because of the absolute clustertruck that is Kong's rights? Just saying, it's a possibility.
No, they own this film outright. It's been released on video and DVD in Japan. The only reason it's not yet on Blu-ray is because there's not much of a market for BD in Japan.
And if something is on BD here it's insanely overpriced.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

John Pannozzi
Monsterland Worker

Post by John Pannozzi »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Ehhh.....
I doubt this will go anywhere. I'd much rather see a King Kong Escapes Blu-Ray with both the Japanese and English versions released in America.
I'd rather see that, too. But that would probably be even more of a long shot. So, a Japanese Blu-ray of KKE is a easier thing to start with.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:Also the Bing translation is garbage because it makes it seem like you want to see King Kong Escapes on blu-ray as in you want to see a physical disc, versus the sentiment of "I want to buy a blu-ray of KKE" or "if it were available I would buy a blu-ray of King Kong Escapes".
Someone with more knowledge of Japanese grammar, please help me with the translation.
Friends don't lie.