Battle in Outer Space Blu Ray!

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Re: Battle in Outer Space Blu Ray!

Post by Great Hierophant »

One point to refute, it appears that Sony stopped using BD-Rs since June apparently according to this movie's thread on Blu-ray.com : https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=308788

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Great Hierophant wrote:One point to refute, it appears that Sony stopped using BD-Rs since June apparently according to this movie's thread on Blu-ray.com : https://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=308788
Great to hear but still...it's Battle in Outer Space :lol:

I'm not exactly going to be chomping at the bit for what is likely a minor upgrade to the preexisting Icons of Sci-Fi DVD. I'd rather get my hands on a bootleg of the German disc at this point unless a company like Arrow or Scream Factory licenses it for a bigger and better release.

That said...it is nice to see some more toku BR releases, as bare bones and slapdash as it likely is going to be.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:45 am, edited 2 times in total.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

But you don't know if your source is better because you don't know what Sony is putting out. Secondly, it doesn't matter how good your source is, if it is a pirated copy, then it's inferior shit. You are not entitled to bootlegs just because you don't like the official product.

Now I agree that BiOS isn't that good a movie, at least, I don't think it is, but the dubtitles could have really been the reason I didn't care for it, which is why I want to see the movie with actual subtitles. I'm just not willing to spend $25 on a blind buy. I might as well just give that $25 to a rich cracker if I was going to do that.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:But you don't know if your source is better because you don't know what Sony is putting out.
I can make an estimated guess based on the details that are available (or lack, thereof). And seeing as how it's a disc-on-demand release with virtually no information and generic looking artwork, I'm gonna say it's nothing to write home about.
Kaiju no Kami wrote:Secondly, it doesn't matter how good your source is, if it is a pirated copy, then it's inferior shit.
But how do you know my bootlegs are inferior shit if you don't know what they're putting out? :^)

Every bootleg I've gotten from my source has been better than anything official. Actually translated subtitles, extras from Japanese releases, alternate cuts, etc. Way better than any barebones official release. Only debatable differences are in picture quality which I don't really care as I'm not a huge videophile. The quality is near-perfect and that's good enough for me. Only exceptions I'll make are for Criterion's Showa releases which I'm willing to wait for.

I also find it funny that there's so many people in this fandom that are so vehemently against bootlegs. More than half of the entire genre is not available anywhere on Region 1 DVD or Blu-Ray and almost all the original English dubs for the Showa-era films are not available on the official DVDs. The only way to see these films is to buy a bootleg DVD or download it from a torrenting site. It's really mind-boggling to me.
Kaiju no Kami wrote:You are not entitled to bootlegs just because you don't like the official product.
Weren't you just accusing me of defending Sony? Oh how the turntables... :^)

I am entitled to spend my hard-earned money on whatever I want for my collection. I have no allegiance to any company, no matter what they put out. I'm not going to support a hastily thrown together release just because its an obscure title. I have my own methods of obtaining these films (or, in this case, I already own the damn thing) and I will get them that way if the official release does not cut it.
Kaiju no Kami wrote: Now I agree that BiOS isn't that good a movie, at least, I don't think it is, but the dubtitles could have really been the reason I didn't care for it, which is why I want to see the movie with actual subtitles.
Not sure why you'd be excited for this release then, the subtitles are likely going to be straight-up ported from the DVD. And if that's what you're waiting for announcements from Sony on, you'll be extremely disappointed as they're not going to tell you if they're a new translation or dubtitles until someone picks up the disc themselves.

Mr_Goji_and_Watch
EDF Instructor

Post by Mr_Goji_and_Watch »

UltramanGoji wrote:Actually translated subtitles
Are you sure they aren't using VDK subs?

But yeah, bootlegs are pretty much the best way to watch Toho's sci-fi/fantasy stuff if you don't want to torrent anything.
Moogabunga wrote:Ive said it before and I'll gladly say it again, this is going to be the best Godzilla film ever and more importantly, its going to be the film that truly makes Godzilla mainstream (and cool)
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:I'm glad to be a fake fan.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Mr_Goji_and_Watch wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Actually translated subtitles
Are you sure they aren't using VDK subs?
Possibly, I'm not too knowledgeable on the different translations out there but I know for sure there's no "don't utter strange voice" moments or dubtitles used.

MikeSTZillak
JXSDF Technician

Post by MikeSTZillak »

Is there anything wrong with BD-Rs besides that they're burned discs?
Resized Image
#IStandwithVic
#Pro-Life

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

MikeSTZillak wrote:Is there anything wrong with BD-Rs besides that they're burned discs?
The dyes in the disc may not last as long compared to a pressed disc, but bit rot issues on recordable media have been minor.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:But how do you know my bootlegs are inferior poop if you don't know what they're putting out? :^)
Because it's a bootleg. It's quality will always be inferior to an official product no matter what.
I also find it funny that there's so many people in this fandom that are so vehemently against bootlegs. More than half of the entire genre is not available anywhere on Region 1 DVD or Blu-Ray and almost all the original English dubs for the Showa-era films are not available on the official DVDs. The only way to see these films is to buy a bootleg DVD or download it from a torrenting site. It's really mind-boggling to me.
I'm not talking about the stuff that isn't legally available, which BiOS clearly is. Of course, you're also talking to the guy who would go out and import the Region 2 DVDs that had no subtitles for the series/movies I liked. I stopped giving pirates my money the moment I got high speed internet.
Not sure why you'd be excited for this release then, the subtitles are likely going to be straight-up ported from the DVD. And if that's what you're waiting for announcements from Sony on, you'll be extremely disappointed as they're not going to tell you if they're a new translation or dubtitles until someone picks up the disc themselves.
I don't recall ever saying I was excited for the movie itself, I'm just excited in getting the chance to own another Toho Showa film on BD. Of course, I'm not going to buy it on Day 1 to be the person to find out. I'll let someone else do that.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Sun Sep 16, 2018 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

I have a copy of the German Blu-ray, which uses Sony’s HD Master. It looks fantastic. Still buying this release because I’m excited to have a legal copy of that transfer and also I believe supporting legal domestic releases will convince companies there’s a market for their niche titles.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: Because it's a bootleg. It's quality will always be inferior to an official product no matter what.
Tell that to Star Wars fans. The official Blu-rays look like garbage (blurry scenes, terrible and unnatural colors, etc. Heck, an entire reel [about 20 mins] is out of focus on the official ROTJ Blu-ray) compared to some of the fan restorations sourced from actual 35mm theatrical film prints. While technically bootlegs, some of these projects are being done by professionals in their spare time and are done to levels of quality as good as the best official film restorations out there. There’s a recent 4K version of the original 1977 Star Wars that absolutely blows away any official home video release of the film ever. It’s absolutely stunning.

I fully support official releases whenever possible. But when studios show apathy or negligence (willful negligence in the case of the original theatrical Star Wars Trilogy) then I’m glad that there are people out there who take it upon themselves to make sure these movies are preserved and available. Heck, if it weren’t for “grey market” collectors and bootleggers, a number of classic films such as Metropolis and the full version of King Kong ‘33 would’ve been lost to time decades ago.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:But how do you know my bootlegs are inferior poop if you don't know what they're putting out? :^)
Because it's a bootleg. It's quality will always be inferior to an official product no matter what.
As canofhumdingers has pointed out above, nah. Not only that, what about bootlegs that are straight 1:1 reproductions of existing discs but with important additions such as English subtitles? The only thing separating them from the real thing is the look of the disc.
canofhumdingers wrote: I fully support official releases whenever possible. But when studios show apathy or negligence (willful negligence in the case of the original theatrical Star Wars Trilogy) then I’m glad that there are people out there who take it upon themselves to make sure these movies are preserved and available. Heck, if it weren’t for “grey market” collectors and bootleggers, a number of classic films such as Metropolis and the full version of King Kong ‘33 would’ve been lost to time decades ago.
Exactly. I'll gladly support a company like Kraken or Criterion when they put even a little bit of effort into their releases, but if it's a crappy barebones disc, you can forget it.

There are countless amounts of films, alternate cuts, and other material inaccessible on official contemporary home media. Some of the best Godzilla dubs in the series would be virtually lost now if it weren't for people preserving them via bootleg discs or torrents. To just throw that ease of access away for the sake of kowtowing to a company that doesn't even care enough to properly translate a completely different version of a movie is just insane to me. Especially in this fandom where the majority of the core media is not available in this country and will likely never see release in this country. The only option for a proper English translation for most of these films is to download it or buy a DVD, the only way to see a certain special feature on the R2 Blu-Rays is to buy a bootleg of the JPN disc, etc.

Anyway, I think it's time we cut this discussion down to size. It's got very little to do with the BiOS Blu-Ray and I think we're basically going in circles at this point.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

UltramanGoji wrote:There are countless amounts of films, alternate cuts, and other material inaccessible on official contemporary home media. Some of the best Godzilla dubs in the series would be virtually lost now if it weren't for people preserving them via bootleg discs or torrents.
inb4: "but hoo cares about teh dubs i just want good subz"
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

canofhumdingers wrote:Tell that to Star Wars fans.
Star Wars fans are whiny little brats who believe they are entitled to only the Star Wars chronology they themselves make up in their immature minds.

They will blantantly ignore all of the flaws found in the original trilogy while riding on the hate train for anything new that has a single flaw in it and then talk down on others who disagree with them (sometimes even threatening the actors of the film). Every time I take a dump and have to look in the toilet, I see the soul of a Star Wars fanboy.

BTW, you are totally full of shit with the SW BD quality. I have them and 20 minutes of a blurry scene is bs. Whoever told that is stupid. The only flaws they have are the stupid ass things like Vader's no added to RotJ and the pointless Jabba scene in ANH. Nevertheless, they look fantastic. With that said, I do agree about the negligence the trilogy has received when it comes to the original theatrical editions. There is simply no excuse for all versions to not be readily available to watch on a physical disc at the drop of a hat. Thankfully, I'm quite sure Disney will rectify that mistake once they finally acquire all of Fox's assets.
Last edited by Kaiju no Kami on Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

@UltramanGoji

This is where we disagree. If there is an official release, even barebones, you should buy it that first. If there are features available in another region that you desire, import that release. Then, if there are versions or features NOT officially available, SUPPLEMENT the official versions you've already purchased as needed. But foregoing an official purchase in favor of a bootleg is a big no-no and is directly responsible for the nasty reputation bootlegs have.

@Kaiju no Kami

Ignoring your distatsteful and insulting blanket jab at all Star Wars fans, your ignorance does not change the fact that the official discs are riddled with problems. Yes, an entire reel of film on the ROTJ transfer is out of focus. They applied a lazy sharpening filter in an attempt to hide it, rather than do a new scan of that reel like they should have. And yes, the colors are atrocious. But it's not just me who thinks so. I base my claims on information, screenshots, and video comparisons made by industry professionals who actually know what the heck they are talking about. You can't tell me you really think the intense pink flashes and explosions throughout the OT blurays look natural. They don't. And it's NOT how those films looked originally.

I am glad we agree the original versions of the OT deserve to be preserved and made available.

And to maybe open your mind about SW fans, I am a HUGE Star Wars nerd and a DIE HARD OT fan. And I LIKE the new movies. All of them (Rogue One and The Force Awakens are my favorites). I can't stand the prequels but that's a topic for another day. Just because there are some disgusting trolls out there who do awful things like make threats to actors doesn't mean we're all the turds you assume.

MaxRebo320
EDF Instructor

Post by MaxRebo320 »

I agree that Star Wars fans can be legit awful people, though I feel most that do partake in racist/sexist trolling or whatever aren't ones that concern themselves with preservation and the like (Because you know, they aren't smart). But there are some truly awful Godzilla fans too, yet nobody's bringing that up here

If you refuse to touch any bootlegs, then how are you just certain that the official releases are better quality than fan-made ones? What do you have to make that comparison?
Beta Capsule Reviews - Your Guide to Ultraman & other Tokusatsu episode-by-episode!
https://betacapsulereviews.wordpress.com
three wrote:leave me be maxrebo! damn you and your ability to play the game here....

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

canofhumdingers wrote: This is where we disagree. If there is an official release, even barebones, you should buy it that first. If there are features available in another region that you desire, import that release. Then, if there are versions or features NOT officially available, SUPPLEMENT the official versions you've already purchased as needed. But foregoing an official purchase in favor of a bootleg is a big no-no and is directly responsible for the nasty reputation bootlegs have.
Eh, I suppose. I have purchased every Godzilla film officially, all on DVD (except ROG which I bought the Kraken BR) and every Blu-Ray release besides the OOP ones. Any bootlegs I've added to my collection have been Blu-Ray upgrades I thought would never happen (Mothra vs. Godzilla and Ghidorah, which ended up being grabbed by Criterion right after I purchased them), supplements for OOP titles (Biollante and DAM, which I bought the DVDs of), or titles that have no official release anywhere (Godzilla 1985, Half Human).

At this point, if it's not better than my DVDs (Looking at you, Universal KKVG/KKE BRs...), I won't be picking it up and will likely shoot for a bootleg first.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

canofhumdingers wrote:I am glad we agree the original versions of the OT deserve to be preserved and made available.
There's simply no reason for Star Wars to not be given the same treatment as things like Blade Runner and Touch of Evil have.

Added in 6 days 17 hours 49 minutes 1 second:
Any reviews yet?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Kaiju no Kami wrote: Any reviews yet?
It's not out yet.

You'll probably hear something by Saturday at the earliest, depending on when people get their copies in.

Kaiju no Kami
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Kaiju no Kami »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Kaiju no Kami wrote: Any reviews yet?
It's not out yet.

You'll probably hear something by Saturday at the earliest, depending on when people get their copies in.
I meant from reviewers like bluray.com and thedigitalbits.