Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Yeah, I've seen so many people asking if they should keep their Media Blasters copies, and the answer is always "Well, that depends"
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

me personally, i keep everything...maybe except in this particular case feature only discs like the universal bluray for kong vs godzilla where its also included in criterions. But still, maybe I want the box art of universals. I wouldnt throw anything away. Selling is another story, maybe.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

airforce111 wrote:me personally, i keep everything...maybe except in this particular case feature only discs like the universal bluray for kong vs godzilla where its also included in criterions. But still, maybe I want the box art of universals. I wouldnt throw anything away. Selling is another story, maybe.
Some absolute mad lad over on the Blu-ray.com forums threw out the original book this set came in. That was wild. Even if I made custom cases, I'd personally keep the book.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I wouldn't begrudge anyone throwing the book away, I get it, even if I wouldn't do it myself.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

The book is ridiculous. I wish that was a limited run and a standard set was available. And I know all Criterion releases are limited you get the idea.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Malchik wrote:The book is ridiculous. I wish that was a limited run and a standard set was available. And I know all Criterion releases are limited you get the idea.
I'm with you on wanting a standard set, but I don't think all Criterion releases are really any more limited than anything else.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Great Hierophant
Interpol Agent

Post by Great Hierophant »

You just have to be watchful, when Criterions go out of print their prices skyrocket.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

How long do we likely have before this thing goes out of print? I've never bought anything from Criterion.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Gojira9310
Monsterland Worker

Post by Gojira9310 »

I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet, but I'm still subscribed to the Criterion Channel in this post-box set landscape, and it seems a lot of the Showa films have been removed from the service. The only ones still remaining are Godzilla 54, KotM 56, Rodan, Gargantuas, Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla and Terror of Mechagodzilla.

So I guess those who wish to wait out a price drop of the set by sticking with streaming are kind of out of luck. Fine by me, I own the set (and I'm subbed to the service for more than just Godzilla), but for others this might pose a problem.

I might be wrong though, but doing my usual scan through the collection using the filters "Science Fiction, 1950's, 1960's, 1970's, Japan" and that's all I found
Last edited by Gojira9310 on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Search for "Godzilla." Looks like everything that was there before is still there.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

don't know where else to put this, anyone interested in my criterion set for $80? Everythings in great condition, I used each disc once and thats it.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

50% off with another 10% because my wife was part of their membership thing. Ended up paying $108 and some
Change. So happy I got it, FINALLY!!!!

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

JAGzilla wrote:How long do we likely have before this thing goes out of print? I've never bought anything from Criterion.
I think Criterion tends to keep most of their titles in print; you can check the list of titles on their website and see how many are still available. The original Gojira release is still in print, and it's several years old now. With as well as this particular set seems to be selling, I bet it will be around for a good while, unless Toho is a butt about things again.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Rody wrote: I think Criterion tends to keep most of their titles in print; you can check the list of titles on their website and see how many are still available. The original Gojira release is still in print, and it's several years old now. With as well as this particular set seems to be selling, I bet it will be around for a good while, unless Toho is a butt about things again.
Yeah, Toho makes it hard to be sure about these things. Well, I'll get it with my tax return at the latest. Thanks.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

realinvaderdesign
GPN Volunteer

Post by realinvaderdesign »

Looks like the uk version of the set is already no longer available on amazon, as they say, first come first serve https://www.amazon.co.uk/GODZILLA-BOX-1 ... 152&sr=8-1

same goes with retailers like HMV and Zavvi, so if you are a Uk resident and didnt pre order beforehand, its either ebay or importing im afraid
Last edited by realinvaderdesign on Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

G-MAN
Interpol Agent

Post by G-MAN »

GodzillaRangerPrime wrote:I like that this forum is so open to criticism towards this set,
as oppose to other places like The Godzilla Collectors Group on FB, Reddit, and etc where people meltdown over the smallest hint of criticism/ negativity.

I hate when fanbases/ people in general are super docile/ complacent.
canofhumdingers wrote:
Godzilla21 wrote:I can finally get rid of some of my old bootlegs and DVDs with this upgrade.
Im genuinely not trying to pick on you or anyone who shares your sentiments. But I have the exact opposite reaction; with the release of this set I’m going to have to hang on to many old items I hoped to replace and even seek out additional fan restorations in addition to adding this set to my collection.
Yeah, when it comes to Godzilla films, older physical copies are always worth keeping.
Oh yeah that group is honestly notorious for being really bad with how they treat people. Not to mention just how much they honestly love to bash stuff yet how dare anyone not praise this set. Even got Jim Cironella doing bus rounds every so often attacking people who critique it. Healthy debate is good especially with stuff like this. Where we will never get better releases if we just keep quiet. Just hope criterion double dip and doesn't compress the heck out of the films like they have. Or maybe some foreign companies will have better luck and get masters that weren't so dnr'd like the toho blurays are.

Still can't believe Ghidrah is in fact missing frames. I knew something was a bit off when I watched it a few weeks back.

Added in 3 minutes 22 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote:
Rody wrote: I think Criterion tends to keep most of their titles in print; you can check the list of titles on their website and see how many are still available. The original Gojira release is still in print, and it's several years old now. With as well as this particular set seems to be selling, I bet it will be around for a good while, unless Toho is a butt about things again.
Yeah, Toho makes it hard to be sure about these things. Well, I'll get it with my tax return at the latest. Thanks.
True but for better or worse I can see this sticking with Criterion for quite awhile. Unless they weren't smart and signed a short term contract that they sat on for a few years. Honestly would love if someone else would get the rights later on since criterion really phoned it in on this set. And I feel with some other companies they can put more focus on at least making up with extras or anything for the fact that they are stuck with what toho gives them. Or just using the Sony transfers and not being so focussed on the Japanese titles being shown even if that results in subpar picture quality.
Last edited by G-MAN on Sun Dec 01, 2019 3:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

GodzillaXGomoraFight
Gotengo Officer

Post by GodzillaXGomoraFight »

Just ordered my Criterion Collection set from Amazon yesterday. I am looking forward to finally having non-VHS copies of Son of Godzilla, Godzilla vs. Megalon, and Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla. I have managed to find links or torrents for the Japanese copies of many of these films like the Japanese King Kong vs. Godzilla, but the quality of these recordings is definitely not ideal. I am looking forward to finally having legitimate means of acquiring some of the Japanese copies of these films.

One question: how is the picture quality of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster? Both the Classic Media release I have of this film and my online torrent were both kinda shoddy during some scenes. I would love to see the film clearly.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GodzillaXGomoraFight wrote:One question: how is the picture quality of Ghidorah: The Three-Headed Monster? Both the Classic Media release I have of this film and my online torrent were both kinda shoddy during some scenes. I would love to see the film clearly.
This one was, to my eyes, maybe the biggest improvement over previous U.S. releases.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

TitanosaurusFan
Yojimbo

Post by TitanosaurusFan »

Yeah, the best looking films in the set besides '54 are GTTHM and Megalon.

Statcat
Young Farmer

Post by Statcat »

Find this set to be okay but nowhere up to criterion standards thanks to Toho. The disc holder is atrocious for the amount of money this costs and I’m not crazy about it only being 8 discs. Some of the artwork is okay while most of it looks like fan art you’d see on deviantart. The 2007 classic media box set was way classier looking. I happily bought someone’s blu ray and dvd collection who wanted to replace them with the criterion set.