Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Angilasman
G-Grasper

Re: Criterion streaming Godzilla films + Criterion Showa Box Set

Post by Angilasman »

^^ Criterion also waited a couple of years to jump to DVD and then Blu-ray. As a company, they seem to make a principle of being cautious about jumping to new formats. Think of them like Nintendo; letting the other folks make the technological innovations and joining later when things are proven and settled.

As for not devoting themselves fully to genre fare more appealing to a general audience, that's just not their style or their mission statement. Sure, they put out, say, a classic science fiction movie or a broadly popular classic licensed from a major studio (including some that have already been released several times before, maybe even already having a half decent Blu-ray), but Criterion also does tons of obscure stuff that few people are interested in. That's the point. The popular titles are there to be successful enough that they're also able to restore the more obscure stuff. They're not here to make massive profits; they're legitimately film fans trying to add something to the culture by making sure stuff from the past is highlighted and preserved. They work with Martin Scorsese on the World Cinema project, for instance. These are box sets of classic foreign films often from countries that have only a marginal film industries and if someone's not there to rescue them these movies could be lost forever. That kind of stuff is their bag.

Devoting themselves to more commercial releases goes against their mission statement.

But I have to say, as a film collector I'm glad there are so many specialty labels that are devoted to releasing all kinds of movies. These last couple of years have been the best for Blu-ray in my opinion.

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

I haven't read into Criterion's stance on 4K in the past, but I will mention this: the 4K space is still in a state of flux. There are multiple competing HDR formats (off the top of my head, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision) and new audio formats like Dolby Atmos. These formats typically have hardware requirements to them (like the various revisions of HDMI), and as a consumer you have to ensure that your TV, BD player, and soundbar/receiver all support the same formats. I also don't believe there are TVs out today that support all HDR formats either.

Criterion might just be waiting for the 4K install base to expand and become more stable.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

heiseigodzilla425 wrote:I haven't read into Criterion's stance on 4K in the past, but I will mention this: the 4K space is still in a state of flux. There are multiple competing HDR formats (off the top of my head, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision)
Hoping TV's like Sony's Crystal LED screens get cheap over time once they become available on the market. OLED is not worth getting to experience HDR if they burn out just a few months out. QLED is fine but it seems like Crystal LED is just as as good as OLED in colors without the burn out.
and new audio formats like Dolby Atmos.
Ah, you just reminded me. Fiber optics can't handle sound more advance than 5.1 surround sound. No Dolby TrueHD.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

Living Corpse wrote:
heiseigodzilla425 wrote:I haven't read into Criterion's stance on 4K in the past, but I will mention this: the 4K space is still in a state of flux. There are multiple competing HDR formats (off the top of my head, HDR10, HDR10+, Dolby Vision)
Hoping TV's like Sony's Crystal LED screens get cheap over time once they become available on the market. OLED is not worth getting to experience HDR if they burn out just a few months out. QLED is fine but it seems like Crystal LED is just as as good as OLED in colors without the burn out.
Ah, you just reminded me. Fiber optics can't handle sound more advance than 5.1 surround sound. No Dolby TrueHD.
When you say “burn out“, do you actually mean “burn in”? I haven’t heard of OLED TVs burning out prematurely (which would mean the screen has died) but I have seen them warn of burn-in (permanent image retention). But burn-in isn’t really a problem unless you absolutely abuse the heck out of your tv and don’t know anything about how to even modestly take care of them. I’ve had a couple of plasma TVs (also susceptible to burn in if abused) for many years (the older one for about 14 years now) and have absolutely no issues with burn in. And I am a self proclaimed anal videophile who is extremely critical of picture quality and watch closely for issues like that.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

canofhumdingers wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:
When you say “burn out“, do you actually mean “burn in”? I haven’t heard of OLED TVs burning out prematurely (which would mean the screen has died) but I have seen them warn of burn-in (permanent image retention). But burn-in isn’t really a problem unless you absolutely abuse the heck out of your tv and don’t know anything about how to even modestly take care of them. I’ve had a couple of plasma TVs (also susceptible to burn in if abused) for many years (the older one for about 14 years now) and have absolutely no issues with burn in. And I am a self proclaimed anal videophile who is extremely critical of picture quality and watch closely for issues like that.
Yes sorry about the poor wording.

Gojira-Fan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Gojira-Fan »

Has anyone had any problems with this set with the discs sliding/falling down into the space where another disc is supposed to be? I have opened this up multiple times and I will find Disc 1 on top of Disc 3 >:(

I think it has damaged Disc 3. I tried watching Ghidorah recently and the movie stopped a few times and I had to skip over certain parts. It seems like there is a substantial scratch on the disc itself. So much for Blu-Rays being scratch resistant.

I think I will have to sell this set and buy a new one and house the discs in something else. Or atleast get the discs resurfaced. It is pretty disappointing (kinda like the video quality of the set itself)
Last edited by Gojira-Fan on Fri Aug 07, 2020 3:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

One of my friends in the industry watched DAM the other day and was so surprised by the softness that he had to ask me about it.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Tamura wrote:One of my friends in the industry watched DAM the other day and was so surprised by the softness that he had to ask me about it.
Did you show him the non anamorphic, LaserDisc era master of the film released by ADV in 1998? Did you also tell him that he should just be glad the film doesn't look like that?

Edit: Did you tell him that we should keep buying every new release of the same soft transfers in the hope that some day in the distant future we'll get another by-then-dated but better-than-presently-available transfer? Or call him an anal retentive videophile?
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon Aug 10, 2020 2:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Tamura
EDF Instructor

Post by Tamura »

No but I think people who watch and enjoy modern 4K transfers of movies like Tammy and the T-Rex could learn a thing or two about humility from Godzilla fans. We've been putting up with worse home video presentations than comparable film series since the beginning of home video and it's never going to change. We're numbed to it and aren't able to know what we're missing. Everything's just better than a less-bad transfer for us, there's no reference point for something actually really good.
Last edited by Tamura on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

I know that physical media is undergoing a loosing battle with everything being digital, but I really think that another format should be given a chance after Blu-ray. For example, this : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holograph ... atile_Disc

Imagine it, with 6 TB of data, you could potentially store the entirety of the Showa era on one disc, each film in 4K! 8-)
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 10, 2020 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

I have a feeling you have no idea how fucking big 6 TB is and how little space the entirety of the Showa series (nay, Showa era) would take up on that disc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

UltramanGoji wrote:I have a feeling you have no idea how skreeonking big 6 TB is and how little space the entirety of the Showa series (nay, Showa era) would take up on that disc.
Yeah, but The rights for the Godzilla IP are pretty scattered all over the place on this side of the Pacific. In addition to all 15 original films (possibly along with '84), it could feature of shitload of special features ranging from trailers and commentaries to each film, along with staff and cast interviews, production stills, posters, pamphlets ect. Plus, restoring each film in 4K will require a ton of memory.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Mon Aug 10, 2020 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla21
Keizer

Post by Godzilla21 »

Thought I'd check in here since I deleted my thread sub a few months back. I see its still basically the same song and dance going on.

Anyway I finally broke into the set after buying it last year. Watched Son of Godzilla with my actual son (the circle is now complete). It was great to experience a film I haven't ever seen in HD. I look forward to the rest of the set. Hopefully the Gamera set will get here in a few days and I'll be shocked looking at two box sets that I never thought would happen.
SpaceG92 wrote:
<=25% joke. >=75% topic. Even then - that's pushing it.

Purzel2205
Samurai

Post by Purzel2205 »

UltramanGoji wrote:I have a feeling you have no idea how skreeonking big 6 TB is and how little space the entirety of the Showa series (nay, Showa era) would take up on that disc.
With 6 TB you could include the whole Godzilla franchise in 4k :lol: PLUS the American versions and probably every single piece of Godzilla media there ever was! The one set to triumph over the Gamera collection! Coming as soon as you're dead and entering heaven :roll:
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Purzel2205 wrote: Coming as soon as you're dead and entering heaven :roll:
Afraid not. Toho signed a licensing deal up there too.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Purzel2205 wrote:
With 6 TB you could include the whole Godzilla franchise in 4k :lol: PLUS the American versions and probably every single piece of Godzilla media there ever was! The one set to triumph over the Gamera collection! Coming as soon as you're dead and entering heaven :roll:
I googled it and it appears that on 1 TB, you can store up to 15 hours of 4K footage. With 6 TB, you'd be able to feature the entire Showa series, combined with virtually every different version of each film, plus special features. I know it's not officially a Showa film, but I think such a set should include G84. They could dedicate the release to the first 30 years of the franchise.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

The tech might exist but you're not gonna see the Godzilla films (in any configuration) on a 6 TB disc.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Terasawa wrote:The tech might exist but you're not gonna see the Godzilla films (in any configuration) on a 6 TB disc.
Who would've ever guessed just 10 years ago we would be getting the entire Showa series in a single set?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LegendZilla wrote:
Terasawa wrote:The tech might exist but you're not gonna see the Godzilla films (in any configuration) on a 6 TB disc.
Who would've ever guessed just 10 years ago we would be getting the entire Showa series in a single set?
The only obstacle to that ten years ago was that not every Godzilla movie was with the same U.S. distributor. That’s a much smaller hill to climb.

There’s no shortage of obstacles to your 6 TB, every Showa era Godzilla movie on one disc idea. Like... for one, that format has never been sold, and as you yourself said, physical media sales decline every year. How are you going to introduce a stupidly expensive new product when people don’t buy the relatively cheap one right now? Home media sales are even worse in Japan.

No Toho Godzilla movie is available in 4K anywhere in the world. That doesn’t look to change anytime soon.

And all the extras you’ve considered have zero chance of happening.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

Just by way of comparison. I have a 4TB external hard drive. I know people talk about cloud storage, but I love my EHD. I have literally hundreds of hours of TV shows and movies on it, and it is barely half full.

I can plug it in most devices or smart TV and watch as well

I don't think we will see 4K Toho Godzilla films any time soon. I enjoy physical media and will support it until the end, but I can't see the films coming in any other formats than digital any time soon.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!