Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
Purzel2205
Samurai

Re: Toho's Godzilla 4K Restoration Project

Post by Purzel2205 »

Now that's a pretty elaborate April fools joke, kudos to you
Did you ever hear the tragedy of Gigantis, the fire monster? I thought not. It's not a story the Toho studios would tell you...

GodzillaFan1996
GPN Volunteer

Post by GodzillaFan1996 »

Purzel2205 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 9:43 am Now that's a pretty elaborate April fools joke, kudos to you
It's not an April fools joke.
https://www.cdjapan.co.jp/agency/yahoo/ ... 8621&nbl=1

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

oh god, I finallly collected all the japanese blurays in 2016, after the hi-vision remasters started. Took me a long time, now, GTA HERE WE GO AGAIN MEME. This time, the prices has tripled for 4k. Man, I'm always surprised at how expensive blurays in japan are....thats my only problem with these lol. Gonna take a while to collect every 4k release, that and theyre still working on the other films.

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

"Ahh, finally I can afford all these import UltraHD discs!"

canofhumdingers
EDF Instructor

Post by canofhumdingers »

May Arrow Video come to all our rescue...

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:06 am May Arrow Video come to all our rescue...
One can only hope, though as long as Criterion's got the Showa series I guess I won't bother hoping too much for 4Ks. :?

Long shot in the next few years would be Universal partnering with Toho to get King Kong vs Godzilla (both cuts) on 4K Blu-ray, but history implies they're only interested in the US cut, which hasn't been remastered in 4K yet we can assume (though, if I can add to my hope, I suppose they could release the 4K Blu-ray of the Japanese original cut and add the US cut as a "bonus" feature and not improve it any - I would still buy that release).

Or Paramount having the Miramax-controlled (as far as we know) Biollante and bringing out the 4K. Miramax themselves never cared to put the movie on DVD/Blu-ray (Echo Bridge did that, later Lionsgate effectively kept printing the EB disc). But again, not exactly likely.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

Oh my God, PLEASE let us have a US release.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

PuzzledAmphibian
Monsterland Worker

Post by PuzzledAmphibian »

Insert waiting skeleton meme

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 am
canofhumdingers wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:06 am May Arrow Video come to all our rescue...
One can only hope, though as long as Criterion's got the Showa series I guess I won't bother hoping too much for 4Ks. :?

Long shot in the next few years would be Universal partnering with Toho to get King Kong vs Godzilla (both cuts) on 4K Blu-ray, but history implies they're only interested in the US cut, which hasn't been remastered in 4K yet we can assume (though, if I can add to my hope, I suppose they could release the 4K Blu-ray of the Japanese original cut and add the US cut as a "bonus" feature and not improve it any - I would still buy that release).

Or Paramount having the Miramax-controlled (as far as we know) Biollante and bringing out the 4K. Miramax themselves never cared to put the movie on DVD/Blu-ray (Echo Bridge did that, later Lionsgate effectively kept printing the EB disc). But again, not exactly likely.
I don't think it's a matter of exclusive interest in the US version with Universal, so much as that's what they had the rights to already and they weren't going to go out of their way for the Japanese version. However now that Criterion has sat them down with Toho and gotten them to license the Japanese version, I could see them possibly doing something with it since they have it.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

omgitsgodzilla wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 2:34 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 am

I don't think it's a matter of exclusive interest in the US version with Universal, so much as that's what they had the rights to already and they weren't going to go out of their way for the Japanese version. However now that Criterion has sat them down with Toho and gotten them to license the Japanese version, I could see them possibly doing something with it since they have it.
I sure hope it would happen! I just won't spend too much time hoping lol.

Has Toho ever put the US cut of KKvG on physical media in Japan, Blu-ray or otherwise? I guess I don't know the answer to that question.
고질라

Joseph Goodman
Monarch Researcher

Post by Joseph Goodman »

Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 amHas Toho ever put the US cut of KKvG on physical media in Japan, Blu-ray or otherwise? I guess I don't know the answer to that question.

I don't think they have, which is a bit unusual since they did release the US versions of the first film (VHS and Laserdisc), Mothra vs Godzilla (VHS, Laser, and DVD), Godzilla 1985 (VHS), Frankenstein Conquers The World (DVD), and War Of The Gargantuas (same DVD as FCTW). Universal sent them a copy of their master for the 2014 reconstruction of KKvsG, so they could release that version if they wished, I guess.

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

I thought there was an element of King Kong vs Godzilla's ownership/rights where it was kinda like "Toho has the Japanese version, Universal has the US version" exclusively...meaning that if Uni or anyone wanted to release the Japanese version in the US(or elsewhere, I guess?) they still had to go through Toho, and if Toho(or anyone, I suppose?) wanted to release the US cut...they have to go through Universal.

Like....anyone else who wants to put a Godzilla movie out in the US must obtain the rights from Toho, but if Universal or someone else wants to put the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla out in the US...they only need to deal with Universal, not Toho.

Like...in theory, any boutique company could do some crazy collector's edition of the US version of King Kong vs Godzilla for North American release and never have to get involved with Toho at all.

That's my best understanding.

Added in 4 minutes 38 seconds:
Best hope is that Universal or SOMEBODY jumps on board and pairs with Toho to whatever extent necessary to give us a North American release of the equivalent of this.

I'm sure Universal would want to cash in on the new Godzilla vs Kong hype and buzz just as much as Toho. If Criterion could do XYZ to get both cuts in the Criterion Set...maybe the two of them are willing to come together between themselves and partner on North American version of this release?

Could you imagine if Universal also did a 4K...or even some kind of new HD restoration/remaster of THEIR version to go along with this?

To get a 4K or Blu Ray release with both versions presented in best-possible condition?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

heiseigodzilla425
GPN Volunteer

Post by heiseigodzilla425 »

Joseph Goodman wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:00 pm
Tohosaurus wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 7:43 amHas Toho ever put the US cut of KKvG on physical media in Japan, Blu-ray or otherwise? I guess I don't know the answer to that question.

I don't think they have, which is a bit unusual since they did release the US versions of the first film (VHS and Laserdisc), Mothra vs Godzilla (VHS, Laser, and DVD), Godzilla 1985 (VHS), Frankenstein Conquers The World (DVD), and War Of The Gargantuas (same DVD as FCTW). Universal sent them a copy of their master for the 2014 reconstruction of KKvsG, so they could release that version if they wished, I guess.
This might be fudging what "Toho" released a bit, but Godzilla 2000 was included in Kodansha's "Godzilla All Movie DVD Collectors" series as Box 43.

smagal
Samurai

Post by smagal »

So this "normal" - cheaper version - isn't 4K UHD? It says 4K but the box is for "normal" bluray...

goji1986
JXSDF Technician

Post by goji1986 »

smagal wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:51 pm
So this "normal" - cheaper version - isn't 4K UHD? It says 4K but the box is for "normal" bluray...
Yes. It’s the 4K restoration but on regular Blu-ray. Kind of like Sony’s Godzilla 98 4K Blu-ray a few years back, only there’s an option to actually buy the 4K version lol.
PM me for Godzilla versus The Sea Monster Titra Dub HD reconstruction! BLURAY-READY EDITION NOW AVAILABLE!
(Former V2.0 still available as well)
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=5561

Godzilla vs The Smog Monster AIP Dub HD reconstruction COMPLETE!
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=26132

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Ah yeah, that's good they're putting the nice new 4K transfer on regular Blu-ray also. It won't be the 4K Blu-ray but should still be an upgrade.

And that's the thing: Even if we never get 4K Blu-rays (either a no from Toho or lack of US distributor interest, etc), having companies able to use the 4K transfers would be an improvement over what's currently available. Put another way, it's entirely possible a new Blu-ray utilizing the 4K scan of Destroy All Monsters would look better than the Media Blasters DAM Blu-ray and Criterion's.

I believe it's unlikely Criterion would re-release any titles with the new scan and simply port over their subtitles and features. MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYBE 1954, but that's still quite unlikely. So that takes seven of the nine current/announced Godzilla 4Ks because Universal probably won't care enough about King Kong vs Godzilla either if history is anything to go by. Would love to be wrong though. Guess that leaves an outside chance of Paramount caring release Biollante and have Toho supply the materials. Not very likely either. And FUNimation, assuming their license doesn't expire this year (five years since they made a deal with Toho I believe), has only just begun to explore 4K Blu-rays.
고질라

Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Post by Chrispy_G »

Tohosaurus wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 1:57 pm Put another way, it's entirely possible a new Blu-ray utilizing the 4K scan of Destroy All Monsters would look better than the Media Blasters DAM Blu-ray and Criterion's.
I wouldn't just say it is "entirely possible" so much as it would be almost completely certain that it would absolutely look better than what we've had so far...in a pretty big and noticeable way.

As to everything else you suggested...there is no telling. For all WE know, Criterion put their set out to secure Spine 1000 as Godzilla, and act upon all of the films they obtained, to get something for it.

For all we know, they intend to do something dramatic in 2024 for the 70th anniversary. I would wager that if Toho or any US distributor was looking to really take advantage of putting out new Blu Rays or, lord in heaven, 4K Discs of these films....they would either act on it fast to sync with GvK hype OR try to plan something dramatic for 2024/the 70th anniversary which...is now only 3 years away.

Universal would certainly strike me as the type to at least want to cash-in on the GvK hype. I would hope they would do more than just re-issue another bare-bones edition of the same Blu Ray. Any studio with the distribution rights to a Godzilla film would certainly be tempting to capitalize on in this year.

Criterion has shown before that, a few years later, they do go back and re-visit and "upgrade" prior releases. Usually from DVD to Blu Ray, or to package films in with larger box sets(like a single release into a Director's collection, or into a trilogy set or something of that nature, or like how the original Godzilla was later a part of the Showa Collection)...

So...fast forward to 2024, maybe they'll be all set to do the Showa Set that the fans always dreamed of. Certainly the response to their set and to the Gamera set has proven that "if you build it, they will come". Maybe the NEXT set will go beyond the Showa Collection? Maybe that is when they will reach farther to include the likes of Rodan/Mothra/War of the Gargantuas...or reach farther to include the Heisei Set(or the upgrade of Spine 1000 will be first in a 2-3 Box Set sequence that covers the first 50 years of the franchise)...

I mean...as narrow as some of the possibilities seem, there are also any number of ways that things might play out when it comes to Toho, distributors who want money, GvK being so successful, the 4K restorations happening, studios looking to make whatever they can off of Godzilla's name...and the slowly slowly slowly approaching 70th anniversary.
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

omgitsgodzilla
E.S.P.Spy

Post by omgitsgodzilla »

Criterion didn't do this big overhyped release with this deluxe packaging just as a placeholder five years in advance of an anniversary that only means anything to Godzilla fans specifically.

Might they revisit some of these films? Maybe. King Kong vs. Godzilla strikes me as the most plausible candidate, considering its significance, the availability of a new master, how its presentation was compromised on the original set, etc.

Might we see some releases from someone else for the 70th anniversary? Maybe. I don't know how long Criterion's got what they've got, but I could see somebody doing something with the VS/Millennium films.

But Criterion wasn't playing some long game where they bought up and released 15 films just to reserve an arbitrary spot for another release five years down the line. They bought those films for the set we got, and in all likelihood that's all we're getting from them. If their plan was to hang onto these films until better masters came along, they'd have done that instead of releasing the existing set.
Last edited by omgitsgodzilla on Tue Apr 06, 2021 4:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RED MENACE
Projects YouTube Patreon

airforce111
Interpol Agent

Post by airforce111 »

why japan, why the near triple price tag for 4k! I already thought $60 for 1080p bluray was too much! this is nuts!

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

airforce111 wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:50 am why japan, why the near triple price tag for 4k! I already thought $60 for 1080p bluray was too much! this is nuts!
Their core demographic for Godzilla films is cult even in Japan so home media releases are usually more. They are not as much in the west simply because no one here would pay those prices and I think Toho understands this when licensing to distributers. Ironically they probably would make more profit releasing their media region free with subtitles than their traditional licensing model but when has Toho tried doing something new?