Gamera:GotU and Gamera:AoL on Blu-ray in the US on 10/12/10

For the discussion of Toho DVDs, Blu-Rays, CDs, streaming services, VHS, and other formats where Toho films and soundtracks can be found.
gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

So while going to Barnes and Noble's website and searching for Gamera I came across this listing for Gamera GOTU and Gamera 2 which is due out in October.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Gam ... SRI=Gamera

What do you make of that Al?

So far B&N is the only place I saw ths listing so might be a mistake or who knows.
Proud owner of a Xbox Series X, Switch OLED and PS5.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Re: Gamera on Blu Ray?

Post by Mulder »

gvamp wrote:So while going to Barnes and Noble's website and searching for Gamera I came across this listing for Gamera GOTU and Gamera 2 which is due out in October.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/DVD/Gam ... SRI=Gamera

What do you make of that Al?

So far B&N is the only place I saw ths listing so might be a mistake or who knows.
If this is true i will die. :huge: :D :) :o :g2k:

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

It says it is being released by Mill Creek Entertainment (MILL CREEK ENT). Hmm... Questionable since Mill Creek Entertainment did release this:

I call bootleg.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

g2kmaster wrote:It says it is being released by Mill Creek Entertainment (MILL CREEK ENT). Hmm... Questionable since Mill Creek Entertainment did release this:

I call bootleg.
And they also gave us the legit Ultraman: The Complete Series (both American and Japanese versions), and Iron King: The Complete Series (Japanese only), and Super Robot Red Baron: The Complete Series (Japanese only), all on DVD.

ADV owned the American distribution rights to the Gamera trilogy, but they've since gone under. I don't know who, if anyone, bought the rights to the trilogy, but if Barnes and Noble have their facts straight, our answer is Mill Creek. Or, who knows, maybe there aren't currently US distribution rights and these are region 1 "bootlegs?"
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

Maybe someone should shoot them an e-mail.

bananaoil
G-Force Personnel

Post by bananaoil »

Remember when Classic Media released those terrible pan-and-scan American versions of King of the Monsters, Rodan, Mothra vs Godzilla, Godzilla's Revenge, and Terror of Mechagodzilla on DVD with no special features and then they re-released far superior releases of the same films and then-some? It's too early to tell if Mill Creek is going down the same road, but their releases of the aforementioned Japanese tv-shows is a good indicator.

If they are releasing the Gamera trilogy, I assume we'll just get the Japanese versions since ADV produced the dubs for their releases (that is, unless the dubs are also up for grabs or if Daiei produced international dubs).

And to deter anyone from coming in and saying "You don't know any of this," oh, look, I'm using the qualifier "if" and italicizing it to make its usage even more obvious.
Daikaiju is better with rainbows!!!

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

Hmm...if Mill Creek has released Gammera the Invincible on DVD, maybe they could include it as a bonus feature on one of their Kaneko Gamera releases...either way, Gamera on Blu-Ray is an exciting thought!
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

Those Ultraman DVDs aren't really legit because they weren't licesned by Tsuburaya the owner/creator of Ultraman.

If these BDs are legit don't expect superior quality based on the price chances are they're going to be straight ports of the DVDs on one disc. Think of it as ADV's release of Destroy All Monsters.

PC Specs
CPU: Intel i9 10900k, Motherboard: MSI Gaming Carbon Wi-Fi, Case: Corsair 4000D airflow, RAM: G.Skill DDR4 32GB (16GBx2), GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3080 Ti Vision, Storage: WD SN750 1TB, Mouse and Keyboard: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Mouse and Logitech G905 Keyboard.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

gvamp wrote:Those Ultraman DVDs aren't really legit because they weren't licesned by Tsuburaya the owner/creator of Ultraman.
Good point. Another point I would like to make is that it seems that MCE's Iron King and Red Barron release just seem to be copies of the BCI-Eclipse runs. Atleast from what pics I have been. I have a feeling these are not going to be legit. And if someone is really looking for copies of the trilogy with great pic quality, buy the R2 DVDs/Blu-Rays or come talk to me.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

wataru wrote:Until bootleggers can inexpensively distribute BRDs. (theyre like $300 for a burner and $30 for 1 BRD), dont expect anything good for Gammy or Spoony.

Try $100 for a burner they've come down in price a lot but blank media is still expensive unless you buy in bulk and know where to shop at. ;)

PC Specs

Malchik
EDF Instructor

Post by Malchik »

wataru wrote:What benefit does Gammy get from a BRD release? We can REALLY see the strings on Gyaos now!
Good, God, do I hate you.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

wataru wrote:
gvamp wrote:
wataru wrote:Until bootleggers can inexpensively distribute BRDs. (theyre like $300 for a burner and $30 for 1 BRD), dont expect anything good for Gammy or Spoony.

Try $100 for a burner they've come down in price a lot but blank media is still expensive unless you buy in bulk and know where to shop at. ;)
Is that $100 for an internal burner or external burner?
Internal, $115 nets you a BD burner and a pair of 3D glasses.

PC Specs

O.MurdockEastwood
Ronin

Post by O.MurdockEastwood »

We've been talking about this on the Blu-ray website and Amazon and Best Buy have jumped the gun on this, but Mill Creek has the rights to Gamera: Guardian of the Universe and Gamera: Attack of Legion and are releasing it on October 12, 2010. Mill Creek will have more info on their page sometime in September. This will be a double feature Blu-ray, my guess is it's not going to be the source used for the Japanese Blu-rays, but one can hope. It's going to for the low price of around $11 on Amazon and $13 on Best Buy.

Blu-ray.com's page

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Re: Gamera:GotU and Gamera:AoL on Blu-ray in the US on 10/12

Post by gvamp »

PC Specs

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

I wouldn't worry too much about Gyaos strings. People who bought the Japanese blu-rays all seems to love them. I think it is a well known fact that special gels and even CG are used to cover such SFX secrets.

And for the record, I shot an e-mail to Mill Creek 3 days ago... no reply yet... I am still calling boot. And really, looking at their "Red Barron" and "Iron King" Dvds, they look like they could have just scanned the BCI/Eclipse release's covers and DVD designs and just re-released them for $$$. I call bootleg all around.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

This thread says it is also the first two as a double feature. That should be the number one indicator that this is a bootleg. And if any Gamera blu-rays or shit goes down, I would like to know about it. I know it won't happen, buy yeah. I can dream too! lolz. But seriously, this is just a load of bull.

gvamp
Xilien Halfling

Post by gvamp »

They're official, someone on MZ contacted them and they said a press release will be out this month (September). Also kpa mentioned mills creek was in talks with Kadokawa to license these.

However I wouldn't expect a quality release based on the price and this being a double feature.

PC Specs

G1 Startruck Jonez
Interpol Agent

Post by G1 Startruck Jonez »

^^^
Agreed. Give me a quality DVD without the bullshit redneck stuff from the ADV dvd's and I'll bite.
Geek Culture for the Geek in us all - https://www.facebook.com/G1and2
Become a fan.

g2kmaster
JXSDF Technician

Post by g2kmaster »

^^^^Agreed also.
Legion1979 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Well its better then nothing since the ADV DVD's of the Gamera movies are hard to find now.
But I'm willing to bet that they'll probably look like ass anyway.

If you buy these you're showing the company you'll pay money for shitty product.
Quoted for truth.
gvamp wrote:They're official, someone on MZ contacted them and they said a press release will be out this month (September). Also kpa mentioned mills creek was in talks with Kadokawa to license these.

However I wouldn't expect a quality release based on the price and this being a double feature.
Guess that they contacted them via phone, since they got something while my e-mail got shit. And when did Keith mention this? This thing stinks to high heavens. Why the hell would a company which has pretty much bootlegged ever Showa Gamera film sans "Super Monster Gamera" talk to the very company they have been stealing from, since I am pretty sure that all rights to ever print varriation of the Showa Gamera films reverted back to Kadokawa, hence why we had such an outcry of people getting finnacy over the Retromedia "Destroy All Planets" release. And really, this isn't some kept quiet release of the films either. When I see the boot box set I posted accouple of posts ago in my local Best Buy, I know there is trouble. This is just bull. If anything, Kadokawa should be getting onto Mills Creek for releasing the films as such. A stern talking too. I for one, am not buying these blu-rays. Knowing that most of you want to go the legal way, please buy the Japanese Blu-Rays. It comes in a nice hard box along with a 3D card which fits over the front for a 3D effect and though fallowing Kadokawa's/Daiei's policy to not re-release special features sans the theatrical trailer (GAMERA 1999 is never going to be released legaly on DVD for example, nor the Special features on the Gamera 3 Laserdisc box set, which has alot of cool stuff on it) though the blu-rays do have a new special feature on each of them of interviews and such with Kaneko, Hariguchi, and others. Who knows what behind the scenes footage and stuff is in there. Bottom line, please, I advise you don't buy this upcomming release. I really wish I could buy the rights...

EDIT
Hell, just for those who are going to complain about not having the films because it has been 6 years since they were released:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamera-3-DVD-box-se ... 4152473198
It is less than $40 for the trilogy if you bid wisely and it uses the first box set box. Get this if you need copies so bad.

Mulder
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mulder »

g2kmaster wrote:^^^^Agreed also.
Legion1979 wrote:
Hellspawn28 wrote:Well its better then nothing since the ADV DVD's of the Gamera movies are hard to find now.
But I'm willing to bet that they'll probably look like ass anyway.

If you buy these you're showing the company you'll pay money for shitty product.
Quoted for truth.
gvamp wrote:They're official, someone on MZ contacted them and they said a press release will be out this month (September). Also kpa mentioned mills creek was in talks with Kadokawa to license these.

Guess that they contacted them via phone, since they got something while my e-mail got shit. And when did Keith mention this? This thing stinks to high heavens. Why the hell would a company which has pretty much bootlegged ever Showa Gamera film sans "Super Monster Gamera" talk to the very company they have been stealing from, since I am pretty sure that all rights to ever print varriation of the Showa Gamera films reverted back to Kadokawa, hence why we had such an outcry of people getting finnacy over the Retromedia "Destroy All Planets" release. And really, this isn't some kept quiet release of the films either. When I see the boot box set I posted accouple of posts ago in my local Best Buy, I know there is trouble. This is just bull. If anything, Kadokawa should be getting onto Mills Creek for releasing the films as such. A stern talking too. I for one, am not buying these blu-rays. Knowing that most of you want to go the legal way, please buy the Japanese Blu-Rays. It comes in a nice hard box along with a 3D card which fits over the front for a 3D effect and though fallowing Kadokawa's/Daiei's policy to not re-release special features sans the theatrical trailer (GAMERA 1999 is never going to be released legaly on DVD for example, nor the Special features on the Gamera 3 Laserdisc box set, which has alot of cool stuff on it) though the blu-rays do have a new special feature on each of them of interviews and such with Kaneko, Hariguchi, and others. Who knows what behind the scenes footage and stuff is in there. Bottom line, please, I advise you don't buy this upcomming release. I really wish I could buy the rights...

EDIT
Hell, just for those who are going to complain about not having the films because it has been 6 years since they were released:
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gamera-3-DVD-box-se ... 4152473198
It is less than $40 for the trilogy if you bid wisely and it uses the first box set box. Get this if you need copies so bad.
And my Ebay account is suspended fuck. :mad: