Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Re: Mill Creek releasing ULTRA SERIES on Bluray!!

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Only one more Showa release until 80! Hell to the yeah. Unless they do Jonias after Leo. Now we're entering into the "will they or won't they" time of series as things get weird. Curious to see how they do Great and Powered. I'm personally hoping both series get packaged together along with the Zearth movies.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

IIRC, correct me if I'm wrong, 80, Great and Powered are still on the "not available yet but we'll get it when we can" list while Jonias and Zearth are acquired so we might see the latter two before the former three.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

Post by StreamOfKaijuness »

Mill Creek has indeed licensed The Ultraman and Ultraman 80. They don't have Great/Towards the Future nor Powered/The Ultimate Hero. They also don't have any of the Heisei UltraSeven specials, Ultra Q Dark Fantasy, nor the Ultraman USA/The Adventure Begins animated film. They don't yet have Ultraman Taiga, Ultraman Zett or the Netflix anime series but they intend to go for them when Tsuburaya Productions offers them for licensing.

Here are all of the yet-to-be-released shows and movies that Mill Creek is confirmed to have licensed:

• Live-Action Shows
    Ultraman Leo (Coming 04/13/2021)
    Ultraman 80
    Ultraman Tiga
    Ultraman Dyna
    Ultraman Gaia
    Ultraman Neos
    Ultraman Cosmos
    Ultraman Nexus
    Ultraman Max
    Ultraman Mebius
    UltraSeven X
    Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle
    Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle - Never Ending Odyssey
    Ultraman Zero: The Chronicle

Animated Shows
    The Ultraman
    Ultraman Kids 3000

Movies
    Ultraman Zearth
    Ultraman Zearth 2
    Ultraman Tiga & Ultraman Dyna: Warriors of the Star of Light
    Ultraman Gaia: The Battle In Hyperspace
    Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey
    Ultraman Cosmos: The First Contact
    Ultraman Cosmos 2: The Blue Planet
    Ultraman Cosmos vs. Ultraman Justice: The Final Battle
    Ultraman: The Next
    Ultraman Mebius & The Ultra Brothers
    The Super 8 Ultra Brothers
    Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends - The Movie
    Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial
    Ultraman Saga

I would post links, screenshots and videos to verify all of this but I'm afraid I just blue myself.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:41 pm I would post links, screenshots and videos to verify all of this but I'm afraid I just blue myself.
Those abilities have now been granted to you, you lucky thing!
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Sweet! I'll take them all!

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I hope they acquire the Heisei Ultraseven specials eventually. Really want those (plenty to enjoy untill then, of course).

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

eabaker wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:50 pm
StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 4:41 pm I would post links, screenshots and videos to verify all of this but I'm afraid I just blue myself.
Those abilities have now been granted to you, you lucky thing!

Here are screenshots from the SciFi Japan Facebook page shortly after Kaiju Con-Line this past July.

Ultraman 80 is on the way from Mill Creek but Ultraman Great is not:

Mill Creek doesn’t have the movie Ultraman Story (1984) but they do have all of the films from Ultraman Zearth (1996) to Ultraman R/B - The Movie (2019):

Mill Creek doesn’t have Ultra Q: The Movie - Legend of the Stars (1990):

When Mill Creek releases Ultraman Saga (2012), the English dub will be included as an optional audio track:

Both Zearth and the 1997 sequel are planned to be released as a set, and Mill Creek intends to include the Ocean dubs if TPC will let them:

Mill Creek has Ultraman Cosmos and its tie-in movies:

Tiga, Dyna and Gaia are also far off in the future but Mill Creek intends to release each series with its tie-in films and straight-to-video specials:

Mill Creek plans to bundle the series Ultra Galaxy: Mega Monster Battle with the follow-up Never Ending Odyssey series, the 2009 feature Mega Monster Battle: Ultra Galaxy Legends - The Movie, and the 2010 side story Ultraman Zero vs. Darklops Zero. Separately, the 2010 movie Ultraman Zero: The Revenge of Belial will be bundled with the 2011 side story Killer the Beatstar:

Mill Creek has Ultraman Nexus and it will be bundled with the 2004 movie Ultraman: The Next:

Mill Creek has Max too:

Mill Creek has Mebius and they’ll be bundling it with the movie Ultraman Mebius & The Ultra Brothers (2006) and all three of the side stories:

Mill Creek doesn’t have the Heisei UltraSeven specials, nor the Ultraman Nice Bandai infomercials, and they’ll be releasing The Super 8 Ultra Brothers (2008) on its own:

Mill Creek has the 2000 straight-to-video series Ultraman Neos:

Mill Creek doesn’t have the biography series Ultraman Retsuden:

Mill Creek doesn’t have the 1993 TV special Ultraman vs. Kamen Rider:

Among anime series, Mill Creek has The Ultraman and Ultraman Kids 3000:

Mill Creek is interested in licensing newer shows like Taiga and the Netflix anime when TPC offers them:

Here’s the Our Hero Ultraman! panel from Kaiju Con-Line, in which Keith Aiken confirmed that Mill Creek also has UltraSeven X but they don't have Ultraman Powered or Ultra Q Dark Fantasy:

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

I admit, I am rather bummed about the lack of Great and Powered. Been wanting good quality Great for over a decade now. Those VHS transfers just don't do it anymore. I do hope we get Taiga soon, however. Any word on if Mill Creek has already begun going after it and Z?

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:58 am I admit, I am rather bummed about the lack of Great and Powered. Been wanting good quality Great for over a decade now. Those VHS transfers just don't do it anymore.
The Japanese Blu-ray is just a standard def upscale.

寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

I ordered Taro (along with the Day of the Dead scream/shout factory bd and John Lemay's newest book) and it ought to be here today. Due to budget issues, I got the plastic case instead of the steelbook.

I plan on finishing Seven soon, then moving onto Return, etc. Mill creek has yet to disappoint me with these releases!

If only other studios and American distributors could follow suit...

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

I've been getting the standard release all along. I love the mural aspect, and there is extra room in the earlier sets for other discs ;) (I managed to get all of Cinar's UltraSeven dub spread across Q, Man, and Seven) . I also have random episodes of Return, Ace , and Taro in English. The dubs are awful, but I keep them for posterity sake.

Unless you've been getting the Steelbooks all along and this is your first standard release, then yeah, that would be unfortunate. I just don't like the idea of stacked discs. Steelbooks are a cool idea, but I think I've actually got rid of some, and I think the only ones I have now are because its the only way to get it (Mill Creek Mothra BRD comes to mind). Plus I can imagine over time that many of them would weigh a DVD cabinet down quite a bit.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

^ I like how there's room to stick Mill Creek's The Birth of Ultraman disc into the standard edition Ultraman case, turning it into a 7-disc set.

From Mill Creek's Twitter page:

Mac Daddy MM wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 6:58 am I do hope we get Taiga soon, however. Any word on if Mill Creek has already begun going after it and Z?
Based on what Keith Aiken said, it sounds like TPC needs to offer the home video rights for licensing before Mill Creek can go for them but they are interested. TPC probably won't offer Z until after they've released that show and its potential tie-in film on BRD in Japan. Have they released the Taiga movie on Japanese BRD yet?

MoarCrossovers
Xilien Halfling

Post by MoarCrossovers »

Yes, the Taiga series and movie are all available on BRD in Japan now.
Platypus Prime wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 1:21 pm I realized today that thanks to a few animations and manga she's appeared in, Biollante is an anime girl.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

StreamOfKaijuness wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:13 amImage
The Sacred Ultra texts!!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Has it been confirmed or only speculated that the mural ends with Leo?
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am Has it been confirmed or only speculated that the mural ends with Leo?
Not sure, honestly. But if you look at it... There's nothing on Leo's part that indicates there's something after it. All the prior ones have something from the next series bleeding over. Leo's doesn't and has a definite end look to it.

Quote of the Year:

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Terasawa wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:07 am Has it been confirmed or only speculated that the mural ends with Leo?
I think it was indirectly confirmed as the listings for it call it "the last of the original Ultra series" and since the New Gen shows don't have murals on their spines, I assume this is where it ends.

StreamOfKaijuness
Monarch Researcher

MoarCrossovers wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:29 am Yes, the Taiga series and movie are all available on BRD in Japan now.
Thanks for the info. Hopefully that means TPC will offer Taiga for home video licensing in the near future. It will probably be at least another year before they offer Z.

It was confirmed at the 30:18 mark in the Our Hero Ultraman! Kaiju Con-Line panel:
Keith Aiken wrote:They’re finishing the classic seven, which will be, you know, finishing up with Leo, so that will be Ultra Q through Ultraman Leo which will have the matched spines on the box sets and the steelbooks.

Return of Ultraman is meant to be the centerpiece of the mural, with three series to its left and three to its right, as Ultraman Jack is the only character facing forward.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I understand ending the mural there, as The Ultraman comes before 80, so extending the mural to it would mean having to shelve your sets out of chronological order (horrors!) !

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Yeah, although graphically it's a little weird that there's negative space to the left and not the right, and Leo's arm is cut off from the mural, and additional box that featured another Ultra hero would throw things even further out of whack visually.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.