Locations in The World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LegendZilla
Sazer

Locations in The World of Godzilla

Post by LegendZilla »

Hey people, LegendZilla here once again. This time, I would like to discuss what locations/cities you would like to see in The World of Godzilla. Which ones do you think should receive a visit and subsequent thrashing from any given kaiju (other than Tokyo for the umpteenth time that is)? For Japan, I would Like to see more action in the Kansai region (Where Osaka, Kobe and Kyoto are located) and maybe also re-visit Kyushu.

Perhaps they could even go outside Japan for once. If they did, I think they should give places like Africa and the Andes a second chance since they were considered being featured in rejected scripts back in the Showa era. Also, for the first time since 1965, maybe have a kaiju fight that takes place somewhere other than Earth.

Feel free to fill me in on ideas of your own. I look forward to your responces! ;) LegendZilla out.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Locations in The World of Godzilla

Post by Gigantis »

Considering the "World of Godzilla' is a marketing ploy i think it's time you changed the names of these threads.

Anyway, Godzilla heading over to Europe and Australia is long overdue and could introduce some nice destruction scenes with London, Moscow, Berlin and Sydney. Africa would also be cool.

Also, a kaiju goes to Dubai, and then tears down the Burj Khalifla, because why not?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Less Tokyo, please. Of the thirteen live action Godzilla movies made and released in the Heisei era, only four don't depict a monster's attack on Tokyo:

Godzilla vs Biollante (I think one of the few Godzilla movies in which he tramples western Japan.)
Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla II
Godzilla vs SpaceGodzilla
GMK

Except for GMK, the climax of every live action Japanese Godzilla movie from 1995-2016 took place in some corner of Tokyo. But it should also be noted that GMK winds up in Yokohama, which is part of the same (enormous) metro area as Tokyo. Obviously Tokyo is massive but it just seems lazy to keep using Tokyo as much as Toho has in the last 30 years.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Fight in a mecha's underground hanger bay.

Maybe Godzilla attacking a human/alien anti-kaiju base and walking over the elevator when it lowers him either due to a malfunction or intentionally and he fights their mecha and super weapon down there.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Living Corpse wrote:Fight in a mecha's underground hanger bay.

Maybe Godzilla attacking a human/alien anti-kaiju base and walking over the elevator when it lowers him either due to a malfunction or intentionally and he fights their mecha and super weapon down there.
I always wondered what a movie version of that one Trendmasters playset. Count me in on that!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Gigantis wrote:Considering the "World of Godzilla' is a marketing ploy i think it's time you changed the names of these threads.

Anyway, Godzilla heading over to Europe and Australia is long overdue and could introduce some nice destruction scenes with London, Moscow, Berlin and Sydney. Africa would also be cool.

Also, a kaiju goes to Dubai, and then tears down the Burj Khalifla, because why not?
He showed up in Australia in Final Wars.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote:
Living Corpse wrote:Fight in a mecha's underground hanger bay.

I always wondered what a movie version of that one Trendmasters playset. Count me in on that!
That toy and Gundam Wing having fights in hanger bays is where I got the idea and asked "why haven't we seen this movies and games? Heck even the Pipeworks games let you fight on and in an alien mothership."

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:
He showed up in Australia in Final Wars.
Yeah, for a scene played for laughs which isn't even funny now. Give us a real destruction scene down under!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Japan in the winter time. Why is it that whenever there's a kaiju fight in the snow it's always like in Antarctica? A snowy scene in the Japanese countryside or city would be great.

More underwater fights. With today's technology it could look very amazing.

Underground. A Lost World/Center of the World or some massive cave or tunneled out area.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote:Japan in the winter time. Why is it that whenever there's a kaiju fight in the snow it's always like in Antarctica? A snowy scene in the Japanese countryside or city would be great.
Assuming this isn't a rhetorical question, I think we don't see snow in kaiju movies because of when they're traditionally filmed just as much as where they're usually set. If you want kaiju in snowy Japan, it has to be in Hokkaido or along the Sea of Japan coast, and for some reason those regions aren't typically seen in kaiju movies. We did get snow in Sapporo in Gamera 2 but that was because they got to shoot the movie over winter. Most kaiju films historically have been shot in the summer.

It might also have been difficult in the past to portray snowfall convincingly on the kaiju scale, something that CGI can help with today. I agree that a snowy battleground would be a cool sight though.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Japan in the winter time. Why is it that whenever there's a kaiju fight in the snow it's always like in Antarctica? A snowy scene in the Japanese countryside or city would be great.
Assuming this isn't a rhetorical question, I think we don't see snow in kaiju movies because of when they're traditionally filmed just as much as where they're usually set. If you want kaiju in snowy Japan, it has to be in Hokkaido or along the Sea of Japan coast, and for some reason those regions aren't typically seen in kaiju movies. We did get snow in Sapporo in Gamera 2 but that was because they got to shoot the movie over winter. Most kaiju films historically have been shot in the summer.

It might also have been difficult in the past to portray snowfall convincingly on the kaiju scale, something that CGI can help with today. I agree that a snowy battleground would be a cool sight though.
I mean, it's all a stage, doesn't seem like it'd be more difficult than the Antarctic or Artic scenes.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Vakanai wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

I mean, it's all a stage, doesn't seem like it'd be more difficult than the Antarctic or Artic scenes.
In what regard: depicting a snowy location or falling snow? For the former you still need exterior shots that match your SFX footage, a luxury they don't necessarily have when they film their movies in July and August. For the latter, you can only miniaturize snow so much (like water), so all I'm proposing is that they might have found it difficult to convincingly portray snowfall against enormous monsters.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Snow in SFX scenes also presents its own set of challenges, in terms both of creating a convincing illusion and (with practical effects) of managing the fake snow elements.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Terasawa wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Terasawa wrote:

In what regard: depicting a snowy location or falling snow? For the former you still need exterior shots that match your SFX footage, a luxury they don't necessarily have when they film their movies in July and August. For the latter, you can only miniaturize snow so much (like water), so all I'm proposing is that they might have found it difficult to convincingly portray snowfall against enormous monsters.
Depicting a snowy location. I wasn't taking exterior shots in account, just thinking purely stage/sets. Yeah, that makes sense.
Hopefully they can pull it off in some future movies.

Of course with climate change they might not have long for such an option.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote:
Of course with climate change they might not have long for such an option.
I mean with CGI it's not hard to fake snow. And even with global warming, and with the fact this thread is about possible location from all over the world, there's still a lot of places that get it.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Fights in another reality/dimension. I dunno, maybe some reality invader opens a portal to our world and it can only be closed when it's defeated.

More fights in space or on moons or planets or asteroid. Space monsters probably fight each other when not fighting Godzilla and man is going into space more and more, so they are a threat as we explore.
Vakanai wrote:More underwater fights. With today's technology it could look very amazing.
I second this. Godzilla is a sea monster. Show more of it. Or at least other sea monsters fighting each other. Maybe have big floating man made island cities.
Vakanai wrote:Underground. A Lost World/Center of the World or some massive cave or tunneled out area.
A fight between Baragon and a Skullcrawler would be nice.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Fri Oct 30, 2020 12:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Living Corpse wrote:
Vakanai wrote:More underwater fights. With today's technology it could look very amazing.
I second this. Godzilla is a sea monster. Show more of it. Or at least other sea monsters fighting each other. Maybe have big floating man made island cities.
Godzilla vs Ebirah vs Titanosuarus vs that new mosasaur kaiju! Be epic. Be totally epic.
(Yes I believe that mosasaur is separate from Titanosuarus.)
Living Corpse wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Underground. A Lost World/Center of the World or some massive cave or tunneled out area.
A fight between Baragon and a Skullcrawler would be nice.
Can Toho even use the Skullcrawlers?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

How about a monster action scene somewhere in the desert? That's surprisingly rare.

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

Vakanai wrote: Tue Oct 27, 2020 10:44 am Japan in the winter time. Why is it that whenever there's a kaiju fight in the snow it's always like in Antarctica? A snowy scene in the Japanese countryside or city would be great.

More underwater fights. With today's technology it could look very amazing.

Underground. A Lost World/Center of the World or some massive cave or tunneled out area.
This. So much this.

Also, I'd like to see Godzilla and other monsters in Okinawa again.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gigantis wrote: Thu Nov 05, 2020 5:25 pm How about a monster action scene somewhere in the desert? That's surprisingly rare.
I'm reminded of that one kid's novel where Godzilla and a giant scorpion befriend each other and hang out in the desert outside of Les Vega.