Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

Post by DirektorSplennic »

To parallel the fears thread, what do you want in this new series?

My one hope is it's something brand new with a good execution to follow (looking at you anime trilogy).
Last edited by DirektorSplennic on Wed Oct 07, 2020 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Spuro
Keizer

Re: Your hopes for Godzilla: Singular Point

Post by Spuro »

Gen Urobuchi isn't involved this time, so that certainly gives me hope. I'm... not a fan of that man's storytelling abilities.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Let's expand the kaiju family! Give us some new monsters for Godzilla to fight against. Of course don't leave the old one's behind (can Varan, Gorosaurus and Maguma get cameos at least?) but the only new guy we've gotten was the Servum which didn't do poop.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KaijuDude810
Yojimbo

Post by KaijuDude810 »

Every monster gets a chance to shine. The episodic format could serve as a sort of "monster of the week" show with maybe 4 to 5 episode arcs? It would almost be like the 1998 Godzilla Series.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

I hope it's good and satisfies fan and casual viewer alike.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

I can only hope it's well made and interesting in its own way. I get a good impression from it already but we'll have to wait and see.

Interesting to note - A few years ago Doraemon surpassed Godzilla as the highest grossing film series in Japan, and now we have the director of the 2017 Doraemon film doing a Godzilla show. Smart/sneaky move by Toho, I guess.

Also, if you want to check these out, some of Toh Enjoe's work is available in English -
Self-Reference ENGINE
"Overdrive" in Saiensu Fikushon 2016
"List, Combination, Recursion" in The Battle Royale Slam Book
"Endoastronomy" in The Future Is Japanese
"Freud" in Speculative Japan 2

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Gigantis wrote:(can Varan, Gorosaurus and Maguma get cameos at least?)
No, they can't. Bad. You go sit in the corner and think about what you've done, and then you go buy some Mothra and Ghidorah vinyls and get hyped for their next appearance.

Seriously, I hope we don't get Ghidorah. I love Mothra, I can watch her all day so long as someone else shows up too, and Mechagodzilla hasn't had all that many appearances so he can still be kind of fresh and interesting... Ghidorah. I love the man, he's fantastic, but he doesn't fit every story. He loses his impact if we see him all the frigging time. Please give him a break, Toho.

I hope we see, ideally, some well-executed new monsters. Otherwise or also, I would like Anguirus, Rodan, Anguirus, Kumonga, Anguirus, Destoroyah, Anguirus, Manda, Anguirus, Biollante, or maybe Anguirus. Or anyone else that isn't Ghidorah.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

o.supreme
Futurian

Post by o.supreme »

The IDW comics series Rulers of Earth had a very robust use of Toho Kaiju. If we get that in this series, I'd be all for it.
To all you dub preservationists, my friends, you have my eternal thanks 8-) . Never stop what you do, you are amazing!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

JAGzilla wrote:
Gigantis wrote:(can Varan, Gorosaurus and Maguma get cameos at least?)
No, they can't. Bad. You go sit in the corner and think about what you've done, and then you go buy some Mothra and Ghidorah vinyls and get hyped for their next appearance.

But seriously, we have an entire library of monsters Toho, use them!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Showa Gojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by Showa Gojira »

Besides hoping it will be a well made and entertaining series that ends up being popular, I'm hoping for three things most of all:

#1. I want Godzila to transition from antagonist to hero over the course of the series. I want to see Godzilla have character development like in the Showa and Heisei series. Have him use some martial arts moves too, make him fight like a mix between Showa, Final Wars, and Legendary.

#2. I would like to see them use a ton of Kaiju from Toho's monster roster and I would love if they made new ones as well. Also Bagan, they should totally have Bagan in it.

#3. Likeable and interesting human characters. I want the Kaiju to shine of course but I don't want the human cast to be forgettable or boring.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Best kaiju game ever. Like, seriously, awesome to play and full of cool little nods to the films that make it up. Ten out of ten. Worth waiting for.

"GODZILLA - ULTRAMAN - GAMERA: ALL MONSTERS ATTACK!"
http://kaijubeatemup.blogspot.com/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6vZKr ... XgWG0hADNA
The Thread: http://www.tohokingdom.com/forum/viewto ... =19&t=5609

CrimsonBloodX
JXSDF Technician

Post by CrimsonBloodX »

I want to see them bring back at least one obscure monster, like Varan or Titanosaurus. Also, have the series be over 20 episodes long.
"You are the Arbiter. The will of the Prophets. But these are my Elites. Their lives matter to me. Yours does not."

"That makes two of us."

My YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaJhff ... 7ZcLGnZkaA?
My Twitter - https://twitter.com/Nintendozilla98

RELEASE THE AYER CUT!

2A, Shall Not Be Infringed

"The oldest and strongest emotion of mankind is fear, and the oldest and strongest kind of fear is fear of the unknown." - Howard Phillips Lovecraft

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:I want to see them bring back at least one obscure monster, like Varan or Titanosaurus. Also, have the series be over 20 episodes long.
Depends on which monsters they are willing to pay Toho money to use the rights for.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

LegendZilla wrote:
Depends on which monsters they are willing to pay Toho money to use the rights for.
Polygon didn't pay any money to have Ghidorah and Mechagodzilla. What's gonna make this different?

Gomi: Ninja Monster
G-Force Personnel

Post by Gomi: Ninja Monster »

CrimsonBloodX wrote:I want to see them bring back at least one obscure monster, like Varan or Titanosaurus. Also, have the series be over 20 episodes long.
Finally, someone other than me mentions Titanosaurus, I was getting worried I was the only one.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

I hope we get a pretty diverse human cast. The Earth Trilogy's characterization was hurt by a lot of 'Same Face' syndrome where a lot of characters weren't too fleshed out and the fact they looked similar didn't help telling who was who or why we should care. It's a problem animation uniquely faces. Thankfully, the character design for the human cast looks suitably diverse with appearances and (of what we can tell) mannerisms.
Last edited by Desghidorah on Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I don't need something new. Just basic, standard Godzilla goodness in an anime. A decent story, nice animation and character designs, great fights and destruction sequences, and I'll be ecstatic! That's my biggest wish really, I don't want them reinventing the wheel with this, I legitimately only want a standard, typical Godzilla story, only done extremely well and playing to the strengths of animation.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Hoping for something with substance, yet also slightly episodic. Similar to Neon G.

An overarching narrative, with unique creatures of the week, similar to the old films. But with that gritty 90s anime look to it. Animation style is gorgeous though. Way more character than the other anime attempt
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Moth
G-Grasper

Post by Moth »

God I hope Godzilla teams up with a friend again, outside of the passive aggressiveness he had with Mothra in FW, he has not had one team up with another kaiju in a Japanese production since like, 93?
I hope we see Anguirus and Mothra too.
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Nathus214 wrote:God I hope Godzilla teams up with a friend again, outside of the passive aggressiveness he had with Mothra in FW, he has not had one team up with another kaiju in a Japanese production since like, 93?
I hope we see Anguirus and Mothra too.
Eh, you can kind of argue he teamed up with his son in vs Destoroyah.
Last edited by Vakanai on Wed Oct 07, 2020 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

What's the chances this is the big "universe builder" Toho was rumored to have wanted to establish for the future of the japanese character. While keeping the MV as the mainstay "big budget movie franchise".

Or maybe this is a series that'll test the waters for future Godzilla related shows.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Wed Oct 07, 2020 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira