Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Apgigan
Monsterland Worker

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

Post by Apgigan »

vastatosaurus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:25 pm I've seen many SP screenshots with English subtitles in twitter. Is there any source you guys know?
Episode 1 with subs is up on Youtube. It's been split into parts but I don't think that's going to fool the copyright system for long...

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

Apgigan wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:36 pm
vastatosaurus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 5:25 pm I've seen many SP screenshots with English subtitles in twitter. Is there any source you guys know?
Episode 1 with subs is up on Youtube. It's been split into parts but I don't think that's going to fool the copyright system for long...
Oh, thanks! I'll try it.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Would someone PM me the link to the English subs episode? Idk why I thought there would be English subs on Netlix Japan.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Huh, King Caeser actually looks good. And is 2D animated?

I have no idea what the context of this shot is, but because it looks cool, I'm probably going to be disappointed when I find out what the context is. I'm guessing this isn't an actual monster scene in the show.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Having actually watched the show, based on the first two episodes, I can easily say the animation is stellar. I’m not saying this to call out anyone in particular, but it’s sort of annoying to see people assume that the animation in the end credits isn’t indicative or is somehow different than the animation we get in the show.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:30 am Having actually watched the show, based on the first two episodes, I can easily say the animation is stellar. I’m not saying this to call out anyone in particular, but it’s sort of annoying to see people assume that the animation in the end credits isn’t indicative or is somehow different than the animation we get in the show.
I think it's because, usually, the animation in the intro and outro are the best examples of animation in any anime or cartoon. They usually put a high amount of effort into them as they will be used for every episode and represent the show as a whole. Plus, it looks like a montage of clips form the show without context.

How are the monsters, btw? Are they 3d models? I'm not expecting them to be 2d. It would be utterly incredible to see monsters like in Godzilla The Animated Series again but with modern animation it's highly unlikely. (Not that it matters, of course. I was just wondering.)
Last edited by Thegarbagemonster on Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

vastatosaurus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:27 pm So did you guys notice that the blonde girl in the front, the guy behind her carrying a case, and the guy on the left who is apparently a cameraman are the references to Godzilla 1998? They are dressed in just same outfits as they were in the movie.
The folks at Wikizilla compiled a massive list of character references, it's astonishing just how much they were able to fit in there:

The ending sequence of Godzilla Singular Point contains numerous references to past Godzilla and kaiju films.
  • The sequence begins with Mei Kamino sleeping face-down on a desk. She is awoken by a nearby portable DVD player, which shows a woman resembling Kayoco Anne Patterson from Shin Godzilla reporting on the appearances of several monsters for the fictional network NNO. Biollante is seen floating on Lake Ashi in her Flower Beast form, followed by an Anguirus resembling the Showa incarnation erupting from underground in a city. Near Atami Castle, Miki Saegusa from the Heisei Godzilla series, Yuri Tachibana and Haruki Kadokura from GMK, and a man wearing clothing similar to that of Ichiro Miki from All Monsters Attack witness an object resembling a flying Gamera whizz past [I think this is probably Hedorah, though]. Finally, Fire Rodan from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II can be seen flying through the clouds from a jet cockpit. [Probably MonsterVerse Rodan?]
  • Next, Mei runs past several wrecked cars. Akane Yashiro, Tokumitsu Yuhara and his daughter Sara from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla can be seen talking behind an Anti-Megalosaurus Force truck. Mei also wears a Kiryu Squad patch.
  • In the next scene, a man resembling Daisuke Serizawa from the original Godzilla is seen inspecting the corpse of a Meganulon from Rodan. A crowd surrounds them, composed of Shinichi Ozaki, Miyuki Otonashi and Anna Otonashi from Godzilla: Final Wars, Yuji Shinoda, Io Shinoda, Yuki Ichinose and Shiro Miyasaka from Godzilla 2000: Millennium along with the Godzilla Prediction Network truck, Ichiro Miki and his mother Tamie from All Monsters Attack, and Gengo Odaka, Machiko Shima, Tomoko Tomoe, Shosaku Takasugi, Takeshi Shima, Fumio Sudo, Kubota and two Nebulan agents from Godzilla vs. Gigan.
  • In the following scene, Mei observes her laptop screen which displays "TERZETTO," "GAMESOME" and "TIGERISH" backwards, along with the letters O and D. Letters light up red to spell out the name of kaiju, including Godzilla, Rodan, "Meganuron," Anguirus and Manda. A video can then be seen paused on her screen, showing Yoshimura, Dayo, Yata and Ryota from Ebirah, Horror of the Deep with a Shockirus from The Return of Godzilla skewered on a pole.
  • After this, a Godzilla footprint is shown stamped into a road. Ichiro Miki and another boy are seen being held back by police, while a group of other onlookers gather a short distance away, one of which wears a red jacket similar to Yukio Keuchi from Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
  • The next shot shows a Showa-era Kumonga climbing on the front of a building, next to a sign with the Shobijin on it. On the ground, Zone Fighter, Zone Angel and Zone Junior from Zone Fighter and Namikawa from Invasion of Astro-Monster are among the onlookers.
  • The next scene depicts the Shobijin from Final Wars standing below Mothra, who flies a short distance away.
  • In the next scene, King Caesar can be seen biting Manda in the middle of a city. Among the fleeing citizens are Keisuke Shimizu, Masahiko Shimizu, Saeko Kanagusuku, Nami Kunigami, Tengan Kunigami, Hideto Miyajima, Ikuko Miyajima, Nanbara and what resembles a Simian all from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, as well as Niko Tatopoulos, Audrey Timmonds, Philippe Roaché, Lucy Palotti, Victor Palotti, Mendel Craven, Elsie Chapman and Mayor Ebert from the 1998 GODZILLA.
  • The next shot shows a damaged Showa Jet Jaguar holding Megalon's horn next to Kiryu, who turns his head backwards similar to the Showa Mechagodzilla.
  • In the penultimate shot, a Godzilla is seen picking up a train before firing his atomic breath into the distance. In the foreground, characters resembling Naotaro Daigo from Final Wars and Kyohei Yamane from the original Godzilla are depicted.
  • Finally, Mei is seen back on her laptop in a coffee shop. Behind her, characters resembling Emiko Yamane and Hideto Ogata from the original Godzilla can be spotted sitting at a table together.
There was also Hayato Igarashi and Machiko Tsuge from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla in the 360 turnaround sequence and ending shot sitting at a table (spotted by KaijuX). There're probably still a few more in there left to find!
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

Thegarbagemonster wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:45 am Are they 3d models? I'm not expecting them to be 2d. (Not that it matters, of course. I was just wondering.)
Eh. It only matters to me because the idea of making them CGI kind of defeats the purpose of making an animated property in the first place. We already have CGI monsters in Shin Godzilla and Legendary’s films.

I liked Pacific Rim: The Black, and even there I have the same complaint. Why bother making a kaiju anime otherwise?

It’s not a big issue. Just a minor disappointment for me.
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

EvaGhidorah01
Monsterland Worker

Post by EvaGhidorah01 »

GigaBowserG wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:36 am
vastatosaurus wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 4:27 pm So did you guys notice that the blonde girl in the front, the guy behind her carrying a case, and the guy on the left who is apparently a cameraman are the references to Godzilla 1998? They are dressed in just same outfits as they were in the movie.
The folks at Wikizilla compiled a massive list of character references, it's astonishing just how much they were able to fit in there:

The ending sequence of Godzilla Singular Point contains numerous references to past Godzilla and kaiju films.
  • The sequence begins with Mei Kamino sleeping face-down on a desk. She is awoken by a nearby portable DVD player, which shows a woman resembling Kayoco Anne Patterson from Shin Godzilla reporting on the appearances of several monsters for the fictional network NNO. Biollante is seen floating on Lake Ashi in her Flower Beast form, followed by an Anguirus resembling the Showa incarnation erupting from underground in a city. Near Atami Castle, Miki Saegusa from the Heisei Godzilla series, Yuri Tachibana and Haruki Kadokura from GMK, and a man wearing clothing similar to that of Ichiro Miki from All Monsters Attack witness an object resembling a flying Gamera whizz past [I think this is probably Hedorah, though]. Finally, Fire Rodan from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla II can be seen flying through the clouds from a jet cockpit. [Probably MonsterVerse Rodan?]
  • Next, Mei runs past several wrecked cars. Akane Yashiro, Tokumitsu Yuhara and his daughter Sara from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla can be seen talking behind an Anti-Megalosaurus Force truck. Mei also wears a Kiryu Squad patch.
  • In the next scene, a man resembling Daisuke Serizawa from the original Godzilla is seen inspecting the corpse of a Meganulon from Rodan. A crowd surrounds them, composed of Shinichi Ozaki, Miyuki Otonashi and Anna Otonashi from Godzilla: Final Wars, Yuji Shinoda, Io Shinoda, Yuki Ichinose and Shiro Miyasaka from Godzilla 2000: Millennium along with the Godzilla Prediction Network truck, Ichiro Miki and his mother Tamie from All Monsters Attack, and Gengo Odaka, Machiko Shima, Tomoko Tomoe, Shosaku Takasugi, Takeshi Shima, Fumio Sudo, Kubota and two Nebulan agents from Godzilla vs. Gigan.
  • In the following scene, Mei observes her laptop screen which displays "TERZETTO," "GAMESOME" and "TIGERISH" backwards, along with the letters O and D. Letters light up red to spell out the name of kaiju, including Godzilla, Rodan, "Meganuron," Anguirus and Manda. A video can then be seen paused on her screen, showing Yoshimura, Dayo, Yata and Ryota from Ebirah, Horror of the Deep with a Shockirus from The Return of Godzilla skewered on a pole.
  • After this, a Godzilla footprint is shown stamped into a road. Ichiro Miki and another boy are seen being held back by police, while a group of other onlookers gather a short distance away, one of which wears a red jacket similar to Yukio Keuchi from Godzilla vs. Hedorah.
  • The next shot shows a Showa-era Kumonga climbing on the front of a building, next to a sign with the Shobijin on it. On the ground, Zone Fighter, Zone Angel and Zone Junior from Zone Fighter and Namikawa from Invasion of Astro-Monster are among the onlookers.
  • The next scene depicts the Shobijin from Final Wars standing below Mothra, who flies a short distance away.
  • In the next scene, King Caesar can be seen biting Manda in the middle of a city. Among the fleeing citizens are Keisuke Shimizu, Masahiko Shimizu, Saeko Kanagusuku, Nami Kunigami, Tengan Kunigami, Hideto Miyajima, Ikuko Miyajima, Nanbara and what resembles a Simian all from Godzilla vs. Mechagodzilla, as well as Niko Tatopoulos, Audrey Timmonds, Philippe Roaché, Lucy Palotti, Victor Palotti, Mendel Craven, Elsie Chapman and Mayor Ebert from the 1998 GODZILLA.
  • The next shot shows a damaged Showa Jet Jaguar holding Megalon's horn next to Kiryu, who turns his head backwards similar to the Showa Mechagodzilla.
  • In the penultimate shot, a Godzilla is seen picking up a train before firing his atomic breath into the distance. In the foreground, characters resembling Naotaro Daigo from Final Wars and Kyohei Yamane from the original Godzilla are depicted.
  • Finally, Mei is seen back on her laptop in a coffee shop. Behind her, characters resembling Emiko Yamane and Hideto Ogata from the original Godzilla can be spotted sitting at a table together.
There was also Hayato Igarashi and Machiko Tsuge from Godzilla Against Mechagodzilla in the 360 turnaround sequence and ending shot sitting at a table (spotted by KaijuX). There're probably still a few more in there left to find!
It's even better when you realise this is only scraping the surface of the references.
"Take that you dinosaur!" - Major Spielberg

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

makes me wonder if "Singular Point" refers to all the different timelines happening at once.
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Thegarbagemonster
EDF Instructor

Post by Thegarbagemonster »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:34 pm makes me wonder if "Singular Point" refers to all the different timelines happening at once.
I never thought of that, it makes a lot of sense. You're smart.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I think the animation has a tiny bit of wonkiness that seems to come with the CG-style animes these days. To be honest, I really have no qualms with the animation here. The monsters move much more naturally than in the Polygon Trilogy. The jerky movements seem to be gone.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

Woah woah woah...King Caesar is in this? Well that’s a huge surprise lol
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Jermobooka wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:13 pm Woah woah woah...King Caesar is in this? Well that’s a huge surprise lol
In the credits, at least.

Added in 1 minute 39 seconds:
ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 12:34 pm makes me wonder if "Singular Point" refers to all the different timelines happening at once.
I'm pretty sure it's referring to how Godzilla is the root of the kaiju. They all have traits of him, except for Yogdorah and its steeds.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:02 pm They all have traits of him, except for Yogdorah and its steeds.
the fuck is a yogdorah
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:03 pm
Cryptid_Liker wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:02 pm They all have traits of him, except for Yogdorah and its steeds.
the skreeonk is a yogdorah
Hedorah is blue and can be seen inhabiting the Megalon/Gigan/Kumonga hybrids' bodies so I feel it's safe to say he's a hybrid with Yog.

vastatosaurus
JXSDF Technician

Post by vastatosaurus »

GigaBowserG wrote: Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:36 am
Wow thanks, this is really helpful. I was curious about all of the references.

Gotschiller
Interpol Agent

Post by Gotschiller »

Shot of Godzilla Ultima from a TV spot that's been out for weeks but nobody seemed to notice.
Hi!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

The first two episodes have been great so far.
I liked the second one had some cool action scenes and a bit of comedy between exposition and investigation. Loving the music and the conspiracy themes.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

gojizillakong
Samurai

Post by gojizillakong »

Gotschiller wrote: Sun Apr 04, 2021 5:10 am Shot of Godzilla Ultima from a TV spot that's been out for weeks but nobody seemed to notice.
Link to the TV Spot?