Godzilla: Singular Point Non-Spoiler Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Re: Godzilla: Singular Point - Netflix Anime Series

Post by vibramrunner »

Trailer looks amazing! The trilogy was supposed to be a series as well, but apparently cost cutting prevented that, and it really showed unfortunately. Didn't think I could get hyped for another Godzilla anime but 45 seconds later and I'm back, baby!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

vibramrunner wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:15 am Trailer looks amazing! The trilogy was supposed to be a series as well, but apparently cost cutting prevented that, and it really showed unfortunately.
Never heard of this rumor before. Source?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

vibramrunner
JXSDF Technician

Post by vibramrunner »

Gigantis wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:23 am
vibramrunner wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 8:15 am Trailer looks amazing! The trilogy was supposed to be a series as well, but apparently cost cutting prevented that, and it really showed unfortunately.
I did some digging and I guess it wasn't ever officially confirmed, but it was discussed and speculated on here during the trilogy movies. Examples:

by LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm
I’m not going to spoil much in the film, but the format of the film actually makes it seem like this easily could’ve been an anime but they just made it one long thing.

When watching the film, note that every 20-23 mins, there’s a scene where an episode would end on. There’s either a cliff hanger or something to end on. Effectively it’s the first five episodes wrapped up in one movie. Given that there’s three films, that’s like a 15 episode anime which is a good number.

Also, Netflix lists it as P1:EP1, implying that beyond the initial trilogy, there will be possibly a P2 or even 3, making it seem like a series.
by Relair » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 am
This movie just SCREAMED series to me. It would have been served much much better by being a standard 13 episode anime. The beginning and ending were too rushed, too many important bits glossed over, and the middle was just totally bogged down with tech jargon to pad it out it seemed. I enjoyed it dont get me wrong, but it just seems like a series format would have been better.

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

vibramrunner wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:42 pm
Gigantis wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 11:23 am
I did some digging and I guess it wasn't ever officially confirmed, but it was discussed and speculated on here during the trilogy movies. Examples:

by LSD Jellyfish » Wed Jan 17, 2018 2:54 pm
I’m not going to spoil much in the film, but the format of the film actually makes it seem like this easily could’ve been an anime but they just made it one long thing.

When watching the film, note that every 20-23 mins, there’s a scene where an episode would end on. There’s either a cliff hanger or something to end on. Effectively it’s the first five episodes wrapped up in one movie. Given that there’s three films, that’s like a 15 episode anime which is a good number.

Also, Netflix lists it as P1:EP1, implying that beyond the initial trilogy, there will be possibly a P2 or even 3, making it seem like a series.
by Relair » Fri Jan 19, 2018 1:18 am
This movie just SCREAMED series to me. It would have been served much much better by being a standard 13 episode anime. The beginning and ending were too rushed, too many important bits glossed over, and the middle was just totally bogged down with tech jargon to pad it out it seemed. I enjoyed it dont get me wrong, but it just seems like a series format would have been better.
That does sound like a pretty credible rumour, but without knowing the full behind the scenes story there's no way'll ever confirm it. But it's definitely a working theory!

(Too bad there's no guaranteeing the story, women, and kaiju would have been better written that way. :| )
"Kaiju are underrated." - Me
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Okay boy then Godzilla Earth could stand in the same spot for 5 episodes!

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:24 pm Okay boy then Godzilla Earth could stand in the same spot for 5 episodes!
You. You get this.
"Trust God from the bottom of your heart; don't try to figure out everything on your own." - Proverbs 3:5
"The only lemon content that should be on the internet is Lemon Demon music." - The Dapper Critter(A.K.A. Also me)

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oops I meant 'oh boy!' 'Okay boy' sounds like a put down.
But I mean I think 5 might be on the low side. I guess it depends if this is a 12-13 episode one or a 25-26 episode anime. If it's 26 episodes then I guess 7-8 episodes in one spot would fit in the timeline?
Maybe if the trilogy was as how we'd get more flashbacks and get to see more monsters?

Titanoterror98
Interpol Agent

Post by Titanoterror98 »

daveblackeye15 wrote: Sat Dec 12, 2020 10:15 am Oops I meant 'oh boy!' 'Okay boy' sounds like a put down.
But I mean I think 5 might be on the low side. I guess it depends if this is a 12-13 episode one or a 25-26 episode anime. If it's 26 episodes then I guess 7-8 episodes in one spot would fit in the timeline?
Maybe if the trilogy was as how we'd get more flashbacks and get to see more monsters?
Ah, see I thought you meant "Oh boy!" in the first place, but like in a sarcastic sense. :lol:
I think it's more likely it would have translated better into a 12-13 (or "one cours") series, unless they planned on somehow adapting the prequel novels as well if that was ever on the table.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Post by DirektorSplennic »

I wanna know where I can read the trilogy's prequel novels. Compared to the movies they kinda go batshit insane with some of the concepts I've heard in it, as well as the sheer amount of Toho monsters featured.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:57 am I wanna know where I can read the trilogy's prequel novels. Compared to the movies they kinda go batshit insane with some of the concepts I've heard in it, as well as the sheer amount of Toho monsters featured.
I think LSD is working on an English version, cause unless you know Japanese you're gonna need it lol

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

DirektorSplennic wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 9:57 am I wanna know where I can read the trilogy's prequel novels. Compared to the movies they kinda go batshit insane with some of the concepts I've heard in it, as well as the sheer amount of Toho monsters featured.
Available nowhere in English, unfortunately. Summaries and whatnot are much more readily available, at least. I'd still buy the hell out of those novels if they were localized. Speaking of those novels, I wonder if S.P will get similar treatment in the future.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

GigaBowserG wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 2:06 pm
Available nowhere in English, unfortunately. Summaries and whatnot are much more readily available, at least. I'd still buy the hell out of those novels if they were localized. Speaking of those novels, I wonder if S.P will get similar treatment in the future.
See im hoping SP has everything nicely contained in the actual series rather than relying on some books to make its universe actually cool. Some extended media would be cool, but the trilogy relied on it, and at the same time barely referenced it. How the hell is that even possible?

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

I been thinking because it mentions robotics and AI, what if there is an alien threat (Kilaak/Xilien/something new) but are using man's technology as a threat (ie: the Singularity) while prehistoric mutations run amok as s way of the sewing the seeds for man's technological war machine to turn against him?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

imposterzilla wrote: Mon Dec 14, 2020 8:51 pm I been thinking because it mentions robotics and AI, what if there is an alien threat (Kilaak/Xilien/something new) but are using man's technology as a threat (ie: the Singularity) while prehistoric mutations run amok as s way of the sewing the seeds for man's technological war machine to turn against him?
Nahh, i feel like this is gonna be one of those series' where mankind only has itself to blame for technology going against them.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Perhaps but a Cybusmen (Doctor Who ref) thing or similar could be a hidden threat.

Shadowfyre
Monarch Researcher

Post by Shadowfyre »

So this is still coming out right?

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 amOne thing that’s also interesting, is that while these won’t be competing, it’s funny realizing there will be new Godzilla content on two separate streaming services. I wonder when we will get an update.
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but what's the other new Godzilla content besides this on what streaming service?
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

DirektorSplennic
EDF Instructor

Vakanai wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:09 am
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:00 amOne thing that’s also interesting, is that while these won’t be competing, it’s funny realizing there will be new Godzilla content on two separate streaming services. I wonder when we will get an update.
Sorry if this was answered elsewhere, but what's the other new Godzilla content besides this on what streaming service?
Godzilla vs Kong on HBO Max

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Shadowfyre wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:40 am So this is still coming out right?
April...it looks like

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Shadowfyre wrote: Sun Dec 27, 2020 4:40 am So this is still coming out right?
I mean, it's not cancelled.