Should there be more human sized monsters and threats?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Should there be more human sized monsters and threats?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Godzilla movies have had smaller monsters before. Destoroyah's aggregates, the Praying Mantis in Son of Godzilla, and the hatchlings in Godzilla 98. Shin Godzilla nearly spawned an entire army of smaller creatures before the creature was incapacitated.

I got to thinking that Toho could play around with things like a zombie virus too. Or bring back stuff like Kumonga's web.

Would you want to see more smaller monsters for the humans to interact with? What about other threats?
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Voyager
Keizer

Re: Should there be more human sized monsters and threats?

Post by Voyager »

You forgot about Shockirus from RoG.
For Emperor and Empire!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Dracula. I don't know why, I haven't the foggiest how it could work well, but I always wanted the King of the Monsters and the Prince of Darkness to share the screen together. Maybe Dracula is vampirizing his own undead kaiju army, who knows. And only Godzilla's radioactive blood spares him from falling to the vampirism. So Godzilla must fight vampiric versions of some of his foes/allies while Dracula terrorizes the human cast. While defeating a giant bat version of Rodan or something the humans stake/kill Dracula at the same time.

Frankly the Japanese might get Dracula better than Hollywood these days anyway, so why not make it into a big event. Godzilla vs Dracula!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Vakanai wrote:Dracula. I don't know why, I haven't the foggiest how it could work well, but I always wanted the King of the Monsters and the Prince of Darkness to share the screen together. Maybe Dracula is vampirizing his own undead kaiju army, who knows. And only Godzilla's radioactive blood spares him from falling to the vampirism. So Godzilla must fight vampiric versions of some of his foes/allies while Dracula terrorizes the human cast. While defeating a giant bat version of Rodan or something the humans stake/kill Dracula at the same time.

Frankly the Japanese might get Dracula better than Hollywood these days anyway, so why not make it into a big event. Godzilla vs Dracula!
You pitching that idea has got my brain rushing with ideas of how to make the film a perfect blend of 30s Universal Horror and 50s Kaiju movie.
Spoiler:
Black and white, all practical effects, gigantic castle setting, have a score that is a mix of both classic Ifukube and classical pieces like Swan Lake, and get an actor to play Dracula that does a close enough imitation of Lugosi.

The story begins with a prologue explaining how the old legends of monsters like werewolves and vampires have faded from consciousness of most people, giving way for the horrors of atomic testing. We then get a reenactment of Godzilla's attack on Tokyo in 1954, showcasing the man made horrors of radioactive testing that have been unleashed on the world. This is where I pull a GXM. Instead of being killed by the Oxygen Destroyer, Godzilla leaves Tokyo in ruins, and goes back to the water, having not been seen since, although boats mysteriously disappear throughout the Pacific Ocean. Years pass without any definitive sightings of the beast. Dracula's part of the story starts off similarly to the 31 film, but in a 1950s setting. Renfield goes to the castle, has his encounter with Dracula, gets hypnotized into his service and they are on the boat with Dracula claiming victims left and right.

But then GODZILLA rises from the waters and attacks the boat. Renfield is killed, as well as any potential victims of Dracula, and Dracula is seemingly screwed. His only desperate ploy is to latch onto the titanic creature and drink his blood (yes Dracula's fangs can penetrate Godzilla's skin. Its my stupid head canon, my rules). Only traditional vampire weaknesses used in the 31 film are present: Stake in the heart, crosses, wolfbane, and sunlight. Because of this, he can survive underwater, though it is a terrible experience as he can't breath and has no idea where Godzilla is going. Because he's underwater with Godzilla, exposure to the sun doesn't kill him. All he can do is hold on for dear life and take a bite of Godzilla here and there (obviously coming nowhere near taking enough blood to turn Godzilla into a vampire or do any serious harm that Godzilla would notice).

Godzilla eventually comes ashore in the UK and begins to wreck havoc, destroying London in the process. Dracula's ride form hell is finally over, and London is in total ruins. Drinking Godzilla's blood does have an unforeseen effect on Dracula...it mutates him! The radiation turns Dracula into a vampiric bat monster that goes around killing victims at will. This draws the attention of Van Helsing who goes to study this new form of vampire that has been unleashed on London. Meanwhile, Dr. Yamane, still studying Godzilla himself, has been trying to locate the creature and once he appears in London, Yamane heads straight over to the UK.

Mutated Dracula starts to get bigger and bigger as he claims more victims in a small town. Dracula himself is actually horrified at what he's become as he preferred being the chameleon that could fit in among humans and seduce his prey. The beauty of being a vampire has been reduced to being a violent monster. Dracula eventually takes refuge in a nearby cave, but he will soon be too big for. However, it is here that Dracula discovers he still maintains many of his powers, such as transforming into a large wolf like creature or into a fog like mist that large enough to cover an entire city in a fog. It gets to a point where humans can no longer sustain him, and he starts attacking large animals like cows and such. Because of his situation, Dracula vows revenge against the creature that did this to him.

Meanwhile, Godzilla is back at sea and is seen heading towards France. He comes ashore and tears through the country in his usual MO. He moves closer to Paris as the military is helpless to stop him.

Van Helsing and Yamane eventually cross paths and compare notes on their respective monsters. After conferring, the two scientists deduce that Godzilla's appearance in Europe is somehow tied to the vampire attacks. They eventually locate and survive an encounter with the mutated Dracula, using Van Helsing's vampire repellents to force him away. The military tracks down the creature to his cave, opting to attack during the day per Van Helsing's advice. However, the do not find the beast in the cave, but do find signs of it digging underground. When night falls, a massive 50-60 meter tall bat mutation bursts from the ground and flies off.

Realizing that traditional vampire weaknesses still work on this creature, and Yamane letting it be known that Godzilla has no known weaknesses, they concoct a plan to lure Dracula to Godzilla in hopes that Dracula will kill Godzilla, and if possible, they keep Dracula distracted and unable to escape so that the sunlight will kill him. There are disagreements between Yamane and Van Helsing about whether or not these marvels of modern science should be destroyed (you can guess what side which doctor is on) but ultimately go ahead with the plan knowing that too many people will die if they aren't stopped.

Godzilla arrives in Paris, destroying the Eiffel Tower being a major highlight of the destruction. Van Helsing and Yamane realize that despite being a super natural creature, being a large bat probably means that Dracula is sensitive to sound, so they advice using high frequency waves to lure Dracula to Paris and his fight with Godzilla.

Then we get an explosive climax: The pure raw power of Godzilla vs. the Supernatural Force of a Mutated Dracula. He can transform into his various forms, and bites Godzilla a few times, draining him of blood, this time in a more harmful way to Godzilla. The battle concludes with Godzilla burning Dracula with his atomic blast and stabbing him in the chest with a piece of the Eiffel Tower. However, Godzilla's wounds prove to be too much as he continues to bleed out. He makes the long walk back to shore, but ultimately collapses in the water and seemingly dies as he sinks beneath the waves.

Everyone thinks Godzilla is dead, but Yamane isn't so sure that such a creature can be stopped so easily and Van Helsing is also concerned about the potential effects the battle with Dracula would have on such a beast. Sure enough, underneath the waters, Godzilla is showing waking up, now an undead vampire kaiju! BUM BUM BUM!!!!
Yeah, that's my rambling and insane take on Godzilla Vs. Dracula. Its not even a first draft or even a pitch, but rather the ravings of a lunatic fan of both characters.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Sure why not? Matango has some huge potential if that thing comes back. What if it's possible it can effect kaiju? Whatever disease we have in the real world would look miniscule in comparison if that's the case! :shock:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

Absolutely! The Monsterverse is already giving us something like this with all the smaller residents of Skull Island, and that's working out fairly well apart from the full-sized Kongs being horrendously out of scale with the rest of the island. I'd be all for seeing more of that kind of thing, or even a foray into more 'classic monsters' territory with zombies or werebeasts of some sort. Or, heck, vampires, why not?
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio