American Delays Impacting Japan?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

American Delays Impacting Japan?

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So, as many of you know, due to Covid-19, many big budget American films have been delayed to late 2020/2021. Most notably, Disney and Marvel films, like Black Widow and Mulan. Due to current Corona outbreaks, a lot of productions are also stopped. Even then, many of these companies do not want to compete with This means, we are essentially in a void, where a lot of big film productions will be pushed back by a few months and there won't be any big movies in production like before until the crisis is over.

But this is from the American side of things...
In Japan, movie theaters and back up and running. Toho Cinemas is currently back up and running. Unlike America, you pre-select your seats at a kiosk and your ticket is where you sit (of course I know that some higher end theaters are already doing this in America). So, people are only able to sit in a checkered pattern and are social distancing. Additionally, unlike America, there is not a current real outbreak, to the same degree as in America. In Japan, people also take wearing masks very seriously, and in general audiences here are a lot quieter and considerate of others. As a result, the Japanese theaters, while not at capacity, are still operating, and turning a decent profit. There have been some minor delays, but already, things are back on track.

This brings me to my point. A lot of Japanese theaters are overly reliant on Western American movies. Disney movies and marvel movies are huge here. I'm not saying that anime and original Japanese films don't make a ton either. However, the theaters suddenly don't have any tentpoles to stand on currently, minimus a few upcoming anime films.To promote Toho Cinemas re-opening, Toho has rereleased a limited run of Shin Godzilla in theaters.

Sooooooo....I'm wondering and speculating if Toho will try to make another Godzilla product, be it more anime, or some sort of other project, maybe not even Godzilla, to make up for the gap, and put audiences in their seats. That or have maybe runs of some classic films. I know they're doing some studio Ghibli releases.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Gigantis
Sazer

Re: American Delays Impacting Japan?

Post by Gigantis »

I mean, i guess Toho could, but it's probably gonna be another rushed product like Godzilla vs. Megalon given they only have a good couple of months to slap it together. :lol:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:I mean, i guess Toho could, but it's probably gonna be another rushed product like Godzilla vs. Megalon given they only have a good couple of months to slap it together. :lol:
Like we all won't watch a new Godzilla vs Megalon. :P
And it's probably going to be longer than a couple of months before filming in the West happens again, since I don't think productions will start until we have a vaccine.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I don't think toho will make another Godzilla film yet.

Their plan with the world of godzilla to my knowledge was make something like an MCU with kaiju, and they also had plans to expand their studio internationally. That tells me they wanted the world of godzilla/reiwa era to have international appeal. Furthermore, they may want to ride the momentum of Godzilla vs. Kong.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I don't think toho will make another Godzilla film yet.

Their plan with the world of godzilla to my knowledge was make something like an MCU with kaiju
, and they also had plans to expand their studio internationally. That tells me they wanted the world of godzilla/reiwa era to have international appeal. Furthermore, they may want to ride the momentum of Godzilla vs. Kong.
I think there's now debate that instead it's more of a marketing push and general expansion of the property and line rather than a MCU styled cinematic universe.

And while there is a hope for more international appeal in some projects, it is wise to note that doesn't preclude doing more domestically aimed films as well. Nothing in World of Godzilla would prevent something like Shin or the anime films between more internationally focused co-productions like KotM. So them slipping in a quickie isn't that unlikely.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

^All of this is assuming that Toho wasn't already working on the next Godzilla film months in advance^

Kong vs. Godzilla already got delayed once, and no doubt they would be the first people to know about what's going on. They've had literal years to plan and produce things. A release in November would be really nice.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:^All of this is assuming that Toho wasn't already working on the next Godzilla film months in advance^

Kong vs. Godzilla already got delayed once, and no doubt they would be the first people to know about what's going on. They've had literal years to plan and produce things. A release in November would be really nice.
At most if they've been working on anything it's still in the planning, writing, early preproduction stage. They aren't going to be able to produce a film in the time frame you're talking about, not within the year. Assuming that they decide to make one at all, which is a bit doubtful. And they would announce they intend to do so before filming starts either way.

I don't think we'll see another theatrical Toho Godzilla until after Godzilla vs Kong.