Should there be more female kaiju?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Should there be more female kaiju?

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

How would you feel about more female kaiju? Biollante and Mothra are pretty much the only ones right now.

And should there be more female characters in the series in general? Many Godzilla movies reduce them to sidekick/love interest roles.

I've always felt like the female market has a lot of untapped potential.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Sun May 17, 2020 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

BlankAccount
Sazer

Re: Should there be more female kaiju?

Post by BlankAccount »

I want Biollante to come back but only if they are gonna give their 100% and not if they are gonna phone it in. It's sad when Keizer Ghidorah being done as poorly as it was when the same company did something like Biollante so magnificently decades before.
Last edited by BlankAccount on Sun May 17, 2020 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:How would you feel about more female kaiju? Biollante and Mothra are pretty much the only ones right now.
Megaguirus and M.U.T.O erasure much? :P

I mean, fine i guess. As long as we get more female monsters that also aren't insects, we have too much of that in the kaiju genre, change it up a bit!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

In Rodan there was originally two of the title monsters, one female, but only the male survived on to the sequels. Going back to two of the monsters with one male and one female would add another female kaiju with some clout.

Other than that, more original female monsters would be great. As would more human women in the series, although this franchise has been pretty strong on that front - quite a few have been co-leads or leads (still love interests most of the time, but co-leads still).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

JAGzilla
Sazer

Post by JAGzilla »

I dunno… look what happened to the Star Wars fandom. Isn't the kaiju fandom angry and divided enough? ;)
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

Vakanai wrote:In Rodan there was originally two of the title monsters, one female, but only the male survived on to the sequels. Going back to two of the monsters with one male and one female would add another female kaiju with some clout.

Other than that, more original female monsters would be great. As would more human women in the series, although this franchise has been pretty strong on that front - quite a few have been co-leads or leads (still love interests most of the time, but co-leads still).
I would be fine with a second Rodan as long they made the female more unique. Rodan has sort of established a male persona over the decades.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

I don't think that sort of thing really matters and the only reason to do it, would be if it fit the story.

Also, Godzilla has never had a love interest in any of the films and should be kept that way.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

They should exploit more their already existing female kaiju. It's fine with Mothra, but Biollante and Megaguirus are incredibly underused.
I don't really care about the MUTOs, but I've heard they are popular, so there's another girl.

Other than those, I don't really think it matters. Most kaiju are either asexual or show no real sign about their sex.

If they ever get to make a gender swap, I'd vote for a male Baragon meeting a female Baragon or viceversa, with both raising a family of little Baragons in underground tunnels. That'd be cute.
Last edited by Destorogoji on Sun May 17, 2020 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Destorogoji wrote:If they ever get to make a gender swap, I'd vote for a male Baragon meeting a female Baragon or viceversa, with both raising a family of little Baragons in underground tunnels. That'd be cute.
Or, y'know, we could do it with the Toho kaiju who does have a significant other like that. ;)

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Destorogoji wrote:If they ever get to make a gender swap, I'd vote for a male Baragon meeting a female Baragon or viceversa, with both raising a family of little Baragons in underground tunnels. That'd be cute.
Or, y'know, we could do it with the Toho kaiju who does have a significant other like that. ;)

Yeah, Rodan too.
But knowing how films work, they'll probably make it incredibly tragic, just like the original. :(
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

tyrantgoji wrote:

BOW CHIKA WOW WOW

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

I think their is potential in Queen Ghidorah personally. I also wouldn't mind a female ice dragon to play the Fire and Ice element with Godzilla. Is Kumonga officially male or female becasue if not Kumonga could be a female spider.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

miguelnuva wrote:I think their is potential in Queen Ghidorah personally. I also wouldn't mind a female ice dragon to play the Fire and Ice element with Godzilla. Is Kumonga officially male or female becasue if not Kumonga could be a female spider.
I've always thought of Ghidorah as an asexual creature. I don't know, something about those three heads make me think about Ghidorah producing male and female gametes.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:
Vakanai wrote:In Rodan there was originally two of the title monsters, one female, but only the male survived on to the sequels. Going back to two of the monsters with one male and one female would add another female kaiju with some clout.

I would be fine with a second Rodan as long they made the female more unique. Rodan has sort of established a male persona over the decades.
Definitely want her to be unique - using the same design for both sexes is just kind of lazy and uncreative in this day. Just as long as she is still recognizable as a Rodan.

Although I'm not sure what a male or female persona is for giant monsters beyond their gender being known to the audience.

Added in 1 minute 37 seconds:
tyrantgoji wrote:

That's what I want to see. I know there's the urge to end like the original and one doesn't make it, but hopefully they'll at least resist it for a few films.

Added in 1 minute 36 seconds:
JAGzilla wrote:I dunno… look what happened to the Star Wars fandom. Isn't the kaiju fandom angry and divided enough? ;)
Just ignore those segments of the fandom.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

JAGzilla wrote:I dunno… look what happened to the Star Wars fandom. Isn't the kaiju fandom angry and divided enough? ;)
It was more than just the female characters and it was several battles over there.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

miguelnuva wrote:
It was more than just the female characters and it was several battles over there.
This
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Ever notice a staggering amount of monsters in Gamera are female or have traits that would be found in female animals?

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Legion & Jiger? Heisei Gyaos are said to be female but wouldn't they technically be hermaphrodites or even genderless? Monsters are typically only ever female if it fits into the plot somehow.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun May 17, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

It doesn`t matter. I want to see them fight, not reproduce.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Vakanai wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:

Definitely want her to be unique - using the same design for both sexes is just kind of lazy and uncreative in this day. Just as long as she is still recognizable as a Rodan.

Although I'm not sure what a male or female persona is for giant monsters beyond their gender being known to the audience.
One of the props or pupets used for the Rodans in, well, Rodan, have a green spot on it's back. That could be used as a sexual dimorphism.
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Legion & Jiger? Heisei Gyaos are said to be female but wouldn't they technically be hermaphrodites or even genderless? Monsters are typically only ever female if it fits into the plot somehow.
There's also that weird womb thing Iris has that Ayana gets sucked into.

Biollante weirdly seems to be the one confirmed female where the monster's sex has nothing to do with the plot. It kind of just turned out that way cause hey it's Dr. Shiragami's daughter. They could have easily written it to be his son instead. It just kind of happened like that. Maybe a coincidence or maybe on purpose since women do get compared to flowers "every rose has it's thorns" and all that.

Even Mothra falls into the reproducing thing sometimes.