Solo movies

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Solo movies

Post by Terasawa »

I’d like to see Toho create new monsters rather than rely solely on the same old Godzilla rogues gallery. The last solo monster movie besides Godzilla’s ‘84 and ‘16 films was Dogora, over half a century ago. Let’s see what new menaces can be dreamed up for today’s issues.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Literally no skreeonking problem with an Anguirus movie. You just said stupid poop that made no sense and I tirwd to correct you but you somehow both dont understand all of it but also know enough to correct me on every point.

I dont even know why i bothered to engage
I said stupid poop because literally I was just trying to make the small stupid point of "Hey, I don't care if people think Anguirus has some mysterious "thematic element" I just was a cool ass Anguirus pic" but somehow got dragged into some debate over themes and shit that I don't give a fuck about.
And yeah, I don't know why I bothered engaging either, I just wanted to have fun talking about ideas for stuff I'd love to see, not argue about stupid crap and have everyone pile on me. But I'm learning that Toho Kingdom is not really the place to have fun kaiju nerd talk so much as it is a angry nerd cesspool, and that I should be on my guard around here and watch what I get involved with or risk losing some of my enthusiasm for this fandom. I just like giant monster movies, not freaking cinematic arguments and whatever the fuck happened yesterday. I apologize for my involvement with that, but I really suspect people knew what I meant to say or be about but just wanted to drag things down and out because...I don't know.

End point: I like Angirus, I want a solo movie and think it would be cool, and I don't care if people think he's not thematic enough for a fun ass movie.
And I hate this forum sometimes.
Honestly, you and I perceive that conversation very differently. "Angry nerd cesspool"? "Drag things down and out"? All we were trying to do was have a straight-forward conversation about what would make for the strongest movies and why, mostly as a hypothetical, for the sake of fun - fun being what I think we all come here for.
Last edited by eabaker on Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

I apologise if I pushed this too far, but I thought we were just engaging in a fun conversation. I’ll try to be more self aware/ situationally aware in the future to avoid escalating things further.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:Literally no skreeonking problem with an Anguirus movie. You just said stupid poop that made no sense and I tirwd to correct you but you somehow both dont understand all of it but also know enough to correct me on every point.

I dont even know why i bothered to engage
I said stupid poop because literally I was just trying to make the small stupid point of "Hey, I don't care if people think Anguirus has some mysterious "thematic element" I just was a cool ass Anguirus pic" but somehow got dragged into some debate over themes and poop that I don't give a skreeonk about.
And yeah, I don't know why I bothered engaging either, I just wanted to have fun talking about ideas for stuff I'd love to see, not argue about stupid crap and have everyone pile on me. But I'm learning that Toho Kingdom is not really the place to have fun kaiju nerd talk so much as it is a angry nerd cesspool, and that I should be on my guard around here and watch what I get involved with or risk losing some of my enthusiasm for this fandom. I just like giant monster movies, not freaking cinematic arguments and whatever the skreeonk happened yesterday. I apologize for my involvement with that, but I really suspect people knew what I meant to say or be about but just wanted to drag things down and out because...I don't know.

End point: I like Angirus, I want a solo movie and think it would be cool, and I don't care if people think he's not thematic enough for a fun ass movie.
And I hate this forum sometimes.
Honestly, you and I perceive that conversation very differently. "Angry nerd cesspool"? "Drag things down and out"? All we were trying to do was have a straight-forward conversation about what would make for the strongest movies and why, mostly as a hypothetical, for the sake of fun - fun being what I think we all come here for.
Could just be my fault in how I interpreted it then, as we all know text doesn't really give the best impression of emotion/sentiment, just felt like I got ganged up on at the time on details when I just wanted to defend the idea that an Anguirus movie would be fun. Sorry if I took it the wrong way.

Added in 31 seconds:
Jetty_Jags wrote:I apologise if I pushed this too far, but I thought we were just engaging in a fun conversation. I’ll try to be more self aware/ situationally aware in the future to avoid escalating things further.
As will I. :)
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

I would love if Toho would do a satire on the Kaiju genre. Like a Mel Brooks movie except with Toho's library.

Maybe use Jet Jaguar dealing with Japanese politics, saving the day from giant monsters, and getting bitches at the end of the day.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Someone pitch the jet jaguar idea to Matt frank or something, maybe it could become like a one shot comic book or something. I know a lot more would need to happen with licensing and all but I’d love to see this come to fruition.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rewatching the tail end of vs Megalon right now and I definitely want a Jet Jaguar solo film, but not as a satire or parody. Sure the film is campy, but so was every Godzilla movie at the time. So was Batman back then. But they were allowed to move past that. It'd be one thing if Toho had intended JJ to be a joke, satire, or parody, but that has never felt like their intent. Jet Jaguar has always felt like an honest attempt at an Ultraman type hero setup, and the film was just campy because that was the era. If Jet Jaguar ever comes back, I want him to feel like current Ultraman and similar giant hero stuff in Japan. Never taken too seriously, but still an honest and upfront hero vs kaiju genre picture, no satire or parody of the genre. Unpopular opinion here, but I just feel like sticking with the original intent of the character is better than "since we can't take him seriously we should never try to make him anything but a campy throwback parody/satirical piece".

I mean, it's not like modern Ultraman isn't fun and light-hearted, but no one is arguing to make him a parody or satire.

Anyways, just my thoughts after rewatching his movie. Would love to see what a modern version of Toho's take on an Ultraman-type hero would look like.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Look if I’m being honest I’ll take any jet jaguar material I could get, and if you can’t tell by my profile, the guys practically my spirit animal. I love all aspects of him, ironically, unironically, or anywhere in between. While I think he has the things to make a parody of the genre I also would like to see a real attempt to seriously update him. Whatever we get with jj I’d consider a win.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Look if I’m being honest I’ll take any jet jaguar material I could get, and if you can’t tell by my profile, the guys practically my spirit animal. I love all aspects of him, ironically, unironically, or anywhere in between. While I think he has the things to make a parody of the genre I also would like to see a real attempt to seriously update him. Whatever we get with jj I’d consider a win.
Wasn't really directing that at you, actually saw the movie again then logged on with the intent of posting about it/him before I saw your post. I'm actually not against the parody or satire idea honestly, I just hate that that seems to be the first idea people here have whenever bringing him back is brought up and I just want to make the case he can still work just fine as originally intended. Felt like an argument for the possibility should at least be made.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Thought about the jet Jaguar idea a little more. Maybe not a satire, but a Jet Jaguar movie in the tone of "Batman 66'". Not everything has to be serious. I would love to see a throwback to campy kaiju action from the Showa era. I think a Jet Jaguar movie would be perfect for that type of tone.

kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Rodan95 wrote:Thought about the jet Jaguar idea a little more. Maybe not a satire, but a Jet Jaguar movie in the tone of "Batman 66'". Not everything has to be serious. I would love to see a throwback to campy kaiju action from the Showa era. I think a Jet Jaguar movie would be perfect for that type of tone.
Yes, that would be perfect.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

I hope for Toho to go new ways. We had way enough Motha films and Mechas. If they just look what was successful in the past we will see Mothra, Mechagodzilla an King Ghidorah again and again and again...
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rodan95 wrote:Thought about the jet Jaguar idea a little more. Maybe not a satire, but a Jet Jaguar movie in the tone of "Batman 66'". Not everything has to be serious. I would love to see a throwback to campy kaiju action from the Showa era. I think a Jet Jaguar movie would be perfect for that type of tone.
Eh, I'd try and go for a more modern feel if you had to go camp. I don't know why we always relegate campy stuff to the 60s/70s as though there haven't been campy type comedies in more recent years. Although the fact we tend to not know about modern camp versus older camp does kind of suggest there isn't much of a huge market for it now. Something campy might best be done as a web miniseries than a movie proper.

If you have to go both camp and film, rather than Batman 66 a movie I consider both campy and a better fit would be Army of Darkness, the best of the Evil Dead franchise. Doesn't take itself too seriously, cheesy as heck, but not something people would like "ironically" like I think a lot of people would go on about trying to ape the old Batman series. Of course the trick there is finding the right witty line speaking scenery chewing lead since Jet Jaguar doesn't speak himself.

Rodan95
Monarch Researcher

Post by Rodan95 »

Vakanai wrote:
Eh, I'd try and go for a more modern feel if you had to go camp. I don't know why we always relegate campy stuff to the 60s/70s as though there haven't been campy type comedies in more recent years. Although the fact we tend to not know about modern camp versus older camp does kind of suggest there isn't much of a huge market for it now. Something campy might best be done as a web miniseries than a movie proper.

If you have to go both camp and film, rather than Batman 66 a movie I consider both campy and a better fit would be Army of Darkness, the best of the Evil Dead franchise. Doesn't take itself too seriously, cheesy as heck, but not something people would like "ironically" like I think a lot of people would go on about trying to ape the old Batman series. Of course the trick there is finding the right witty line speaking scenery chewing lead since Jet Jaguar doesn't speak himself.
Whether a Jet Jaguar movie was "old school" or "Modern", I think the character should be treated with a "fun and charming" personality that adds humor to the dangerous situations he is in. A Jet Jaguar movie shouldn't be too serious. That face doesnt scream "serious" to me. And JJ should never talk. He should be written like a Silent character from the silent movie era if he ever does come back.

Could you imagine Jet Jaguar acting like Superman in Tokyo and wears a "cheesy" disguise in public and fights crime on a daily basis? Maybe have the Seatopians the main villains of the storyline too. In my mind, that's the perfect storyline for what a Jet Jaguar movie. Throw Godzilla in there at some point and there's my pitch at a Jet Jaguar movie :)

And Army of Darkness? One of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. I agree, it's the best of the trilogy.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Rodan95 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

Whether a Jet Jaguar movie was "old school" or "Modern", I think the character should be treated with a "fun and charming" personality that adds humor to the dangerous situations he is in. A Jet Jaguar movie shouldn't be too serious. That face doesnt scream "serious" to me. And JJ should never talk. He should be written like a Silent character from the silent movie era if he ever does come back.

Could you imagine Jet Jaguar acting like Superman in Tokyo and wears a "cheesy" disguise in public and fights crime on a daily basis? Maybe have the Seatopians the main villains of the storyline too. In my mind, that's the perfect storyline for what a Jet Jaguar movie. Throw Godzilla in there at some point and there's my pitch at a Jet Jaguar movie :)

And Army of Darkness? One of my top 10 favorite movies of all time. I agree, it's the best of the trilogy.
I think we agree on the basic premise that you can't take it too seriously, it's just a matter of how far you take it that I think we differ. JJ should definitely have the charming and fun personality, and I like the idea of overly expressing himself like a silent film star, but I don't think he should be wearing a regular cheesy disguise. I think a balance closer to the various Ultraman series is a good basis - usually fun and a little bit ridiculous, but not to the point where you can't have the occasional serious important scenes when the story calls for it.

I really think you need a supporting cast, the inventor scientist, the kid, the other guy from the film. JJ isn't Superman, he shouldn't be trying to blend in with a secret identity. He should be like public, the new friendly face of AI or something, a famous robot with no disguise. Maybe do like a Chewbacca thing where only say the scientist and the kid can interpret JJ's sounds as language.

So fun and comedic, but not to the point of parody where you can't sneak in some emotional scenes.

onerichman
Monsterland Worker

Post by onerichman »

I am hoping that they do a Anguirus and Varan solo movies.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

I'd love a new Mothra movie based around similar religious concepts as the 1961 film. I think the religious element has been severely downgraded in Mothra through the years.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

^^^^ this the dichotomy off the religious islanders and the industrial mainlanders is a theme I loved in the shows films that hasn’t been touched on in a long time.
He Jock it Made of Steel