Shinkalion Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
kingkevzilla88
Gotengo Officer

Re: Shinkalion Godzilla

Post by kingkevzilla88 »

Vakanai wrote:
kingkevzilla88 wrote:
Vakanai wrote: What makes you think/say that?
Its what I think the villains do in this, the wiki isn't any real help in explaining anything about this show.
Ah. I know nothing about this show, so heck if I know. But even so, I wouldn't say this isn't Godzilla, just the Godzilla of that world is different maybe. I mean, the last anime Godzilla was a plant...
Well, I'm guessing that this Godzilla is either going to be what I said, or it's this universe's Godzilla.

Also, Snow Godzilla. Safe guess here, I think this version is going to have ice powers.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote: I was wondering how that little puppet show got started. So does that mean Gojiban was the winner? How many entries were there in total, and can they all be watched?
Yep, Gojiban won. I don't know exactly how many entries there were in total, but you can see most of them by searching "GEMSTONE ゴジラ 応募作品" in YouTube's search.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote: I was wondering how that little puppet show got started. So does that mean Gojiban was the winner? How many entries were there in total, and can they all be watched?
Yep, Gojiban won. I don't know exactly how many entries there were in total, but you can see most of them by searching "GEMSTONE ゴジラ 応募作品" in YouTube's search.
Thanks!
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

So what’s this anime movie and when is it coming out in Japan?
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

We got Burning Godzilla, Godzilla Earth and now Snow/Ice Godzilla. When are we getting Wind Godzilla?
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

He Jock it Made of Steel

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Tyrant28 wrote:We got Burning Godzilla, Godzilla Earth and now Snow/Ice Godzilla. When are we getting Wind Godzilla?
Depends, how many beans you got?

G-Matt
Futurian

Post by G-Matt »

Cookson wrote:So what’s this anime movie and when is it coming out in Japan?
I think it's been out in Japan for a while now.
G2000 wrote:Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 + 1.0: You Did (Not) Expect Godzilla, Did You

gigaraptor99
Samurai

Post by gigaraptor99 »

UltramanGoji wrote: He's talking about the Gemstone Godzilla fan project contest held a while back where Japanese fans sent in different short films for the chance to have one turned into a YouTube series (this is where that puppet show Gojiban comes from).

This was one of the entires and the Godzilla design featured is almost 1:1 the same as the one in this Shinkalion cameo:

That looks cool, i really like the designs, especially Gigan! :D
“Your scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, they didn't stop to think if they should.”

''Mankind is poised midway between the gods and the beasts, that may have been true in Plotinus time, but clearly we've fallen quite a way since then."

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

UltramanGoji wrote: He's talking about the Gemstone Godzilla fan project contest held a while back where Japanese fans sent in different short films for the chance to have one turned into a YouTube series (this is where that puppet show Gojiban comes from).

This was one of the entires and the Godzilla design featured is almost 1:1 the same as the one in this Shinkalion cameo:

Thinking about this, ShinkaGoji does look like this fan design. Just with a longer snout and white scales/scarred skin.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/x6LrB3ZorS8

Here's snow Godzilla.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Wow, it really is the GEMSTONE model reused. That's a really weird pull, but I'm not complaining. That design is lovely.

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by imposterzilla »

Maybe but a Gemstone story did mention a white G.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Here's my review:

Transformable Shinkansen Robot Shinkalion Movie (2019) - For the sake of comparison, I'm pretty sure that if I asked my late dad to watch the third Pokémon film without having seen any of the other films or the series itself, he would view it with the same sense of bewilderment that I watched Shinkalion today. This is definitely a film for the kiddies/fans, overflowing with characters that such will be undoubtedly familiar with, pseudo-scientific babble that will probably make more sense to people more familiar with the program, and subplots involving minor (or major) villains that come and go at a moment's notice. Add all that to a film set in a world that fetishizes trains, and in which said trains transform into giant robots to protect the world from the bad guys, and you have a real head scratcher. Oh, and there's a barely-coherent story involving time travel, to boot!

Hayato is a 14-year-old boy who's in love with trains and whose father, Hokuto, is president of the Shinkasen/Train company in Japan. An excavation in Hokkaido by the Shinkasen company reveals a completed Alfa X model train, which is still in development at company labs. Where did it come from? The excavation also causes a rip in the time-space continuum, resulting in a giant monster showing up near the Hokkaido station. Hayato and his family are on a much-needed vacation to Hokkaido when the monster shows up, so Hayato and Hokuto get into the train-cum-giant-robots to fight the monster. However, the monster's beam has an abundance of light particles--sigh--which cause a second rift in space-time and replace adult Hokuto with his 9-year-old self. All the while, the previous inhabitants of Earth, the Valhallans, who live on a space station and travel the galaxy on trains made of light, decide that they want to take back their old home. And lots more stuff happens.

The plot is ridiculously convoluted for a kid's animation film and assumes that person watching will have an intimate knowledge of all the characters, their relationships, the different train/mechs and their powers, and God knows what else. A world in which the greatest technology and defense weapons are reserved for trains that transform into powerful robots is a bizarre one, but then you get the bit where teenage popstars sing J-pop songs about railways that run up and down the Japanese coast and it gets surreal.

I mainly watched this one because the aforementioned giant monster who shows up is none other that Godzilla himself. This incarnation is now known as "Snow Godzilla." He fights the Shinkasen mechs on two occasions, and then inexplicably shows up as a Deus ex Machina at the end to blast the villain with his atomic ray when all the heroes are unloading their Insanely Powerful Beam Weapons at the villain, too. The reasoning? Something about Light Particles, that simultaneously open portals to other times and dimensions, but make you lose your memory in the process. Or something like that.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

How's the actual Godzilla scenes, are they at least good for us Godzilla fans who don't know this series? Any chance just the Godzilla scenes might get uploaded sometime?

H-Man
G-Grasper

Post by H-Man »

Vakanai wrote:How's the actual Godzilla scenes, are they at least good for us Godzilla fans who don't know this series? Any chance just the Godzilla scenes might get uploaded sometime?
The Godzilla scenes are already on Youtube, as is the film itself.

The scenes look good and Ifukube's music plays in the background. The design is very Heisei and his height is stated to be 118 meters. It's mainly Godzilla facing down one of the Shinkalion mechs before blasting at them with his atomic breath. So not very substantial, but good looking at least.
Last edited by H-Man on Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Godzilla does pretty much what stronger more famous characters do in crossovers. He scenes are quick, he outmatches the Shinkalions in every fight but eventually
Spoiler:
he takes out the villain who was using him and saves the day.
Curious that he is suppose to have the strongest atomic breath period.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

miguelnuva wrote: Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:38 pmCurious that he is suppose to have the strongest atomic breath period.
that is quite curious, considering the breath destroys literally nothing any time he uses it. it held a couple mechs in place and somehow turned people back into children, but not much else
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

This was a very cool incarnation! A frost themed Godzilla is certainly different, but they definitely pulled it off. Not to mention the powers over time he seems to have. Very unique and a welcome cameo incarnation to add to the roster.