Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Chrispy_G
Gotengo Officer

Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

Post by Chrispy_G »

For example, when most people think about the Godzilla franchise, the films are the sort of main consideration. Animated series like the Hanna Barbera and 98 animated series are typically considered something separate and off to the side.

Do you look at the anime project in a similar light? Not so much 3 films in the series but more of a 'project' occurring off to the side?
"I'm saying a prayer, George. A prayer for the whole world."

JAGzilla
Sazer

Re: Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

Post by JAGzilla »

Being animated and having a very distinct style unlike anything else in the series, they can't help but stand a little bit apart from the live-action films. I do lump them in with the rest, though. Whatever else they might be, they are legitimate movies, and there's no reason to sideline them.
"Stop wars and no more accidents. I guess that's all I can ask." -Akio

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Re: Do you consider the Anime Trilogy as wholly separate from the live action films?

Post by Terasawa »

They’re part of the film series, just as the American films are.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

To my mind, the "Godzilla series" is first and foremost a series of Japanese-made live-action theatrical releases.

There is a larger set which is "all theatrical Godzilla releases," and that can be reduced to either "all live-action theatrical Godzilla releases" or "all Japanese theatrical Godzilla releases," but - for me - talking about those sets means using qualifiers.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gerdzerl

Post by Gerdzerl »

Nope. To me, they're just more Godzilla films and much a part of the franchise as the live-action films.

SG-17
G-Force Personnel

Post by SG-17 »

No, they are separate from the main series like the Hanna-Barbera cartoon and the Sony cartoon.

szmigiel
G-Force Personnel

Post by szmigiel »

Not wholly separate, they are still theatrical films, so like the Hollywood films they are included. However there are always classifications like "Era" or "Categories" where they will be separated.

B34sT
Interpol Agent

Post by B34sT »

A separate project. It was originally developed as a 12 episode anime and it is obvious by pacing (about every 22 minutes is a noticeable change in what is going on either from scene or tone). Toho split it into three movies for marketing purposes

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Not anymore separate than any other Godzilla films are from one another. I treat them like the Monsterverse and Shin, just some more modern Goodzilla goodness to enjoy.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't typically count them when referring to the Godzilla series. The series in my mind is films directly produced by Toho. The MonsterVerse and anime trilogy are more like side projects as Toho's involvement was minimal to non existent. That doesn't make them any less Godzilla films just not part of the mainline series.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Yeah, they’re part of the main series, 100%. Same goes for G98, and the Legendary series. Pretty much everything that Toho has some creative input in, to me is part of the series.

Do I make a distinction that they’re separate stylistically? Totally. But it’s like saying G14 and KOTM are not in the same cannon as the shows series, the Godzilla series can be meticulously divided into smaller and smaller portions.

And as much as I hate to say it, in many ways by being a Japanese production, I do mentally consider it closer to the main line then something like G14 or 98.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

No, I still group them in with the other films. I sometimes forget they exist, however...
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

Orichalcum
Interpol Agent

Post by Orichalcum »

GigaBowserG wrote:No, I still group them in with the other films. I sometimes forget they exist, however...
This. Not that I hate them or anything, I just forget about them a lot :lol:
*Formerly known as Stump Feet*

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I still classify them as Godzilla films. I do it for 98 why wouldn't i do it for the Anime Trilogy?

It still doesn't change the fact that it's trash tho.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think the standard moving forward is that all it needs is a theatrical release in Japan for me to consider it a main-line entry. Should moving forward there be a television series, or something that exclusively debuts on a Japanese streaming service then that's wholly separate.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

I classify them as Godzilla films, and I count them whenever discussing the films.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

I count them, yeah.

Pretty much everything that isn't a TV show i count.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I count them, yeah.

Do you count the Zone Fighter series? That’s a big question, that I’m not sure myself. But I consider it part of the showa series in terms of Toho’s output.

Destoroyah of Worlds
Gotengo Officer

Post by Destoroyah of Worlds »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Destoroyah of Worlds wrote:I count them, yeah.

Do you count the Zone Fighter series? That’s a big question, that I’m not sure myself. But I consider it part of the showa series in terms of Toho’s output.
Nah. That, Hana Barbara, Godzilla: The Series, and Godzilla Island I do not count.

I kind of shove it all into the same place as the video games and comics. Extra credit expanded universe stuff.
Last edited by Destoroyah of Worlds on Mon Sep 02, 2019 4:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Come fourth, Ghidorah! Great Golden Winged Destroyer; deliver onto us a beautiful demise!

Dust Errant
Samurai

Post by Dust Errant »

GigaBowserG wrote:No, I still group them in with the other films. I sometimes forget they exist, however...
Very much this. I didn't even hate them like a lot of people here. I honestly just forget their existence a lot of the time though.