Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I believe that was also the series outline for Ultraman Powered.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Baltan are the main villains. Maybe with a kaiju or two as attack dogs.
Wasn't there an early draft in the original show's Neronga episode where the titular kaiju was just Baltans pet? It can easily be used and i'm pretty sure Baltan has mind control powers.
Yes and no.

The original draft did have Neronga as Baltan's attack dog.

However, they dont really mind control people, at least in the original series. More posses them. They're a lot weirder then the normal types of aliens we get.

Also, holy FUCK do I want to see a Shin Baltan even if it doesn't happen

RIP Evan.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I actually wouldn't be surprised if the Baltan are the main villains. Maybe with a kaiju or two as attack dogs.
Wasn't there an early draft in the original show's Neronga episode where the titular kaiju was just Baltans pet? It can easily be used and i'm pretty sure Baltan has mind control powers.
Yes and no.

However, they dont really mind control people, at least in the original series. More posses them. They're a lot weirder then the normal types of aliens we get.

Also, holy skreeonk do I want to see a Shin Baltan even if it doesn't happen
Oh. I haven't been keeping up with the Ultraman series of late.. :oops:

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

SoggyNoodles2016

Post by SoggyNoodles2016 »

tyrantgoji wrote:
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Yes and no.

Also, holy skreeonk do I want to see a Shin Baltan even if it doesn't happen
Oh. I haven't been keeping up with the Ultraman series of late.. :oops:
Me neither lol. Just what I remember when I watched the original series years ago. They maybe changed it already who knows

RIP Evan.

Major sssspielberg!
EDF Instructor

Post by Major sssspielberg! »

I feel like for someone like Higuchi, who's a huge toku fan, Ultraman should be pretty hard to screw up. Anno scripting it, and the fact that the basic premise of the original series is so simple, means I ain't sweatin'. There's also less pressure to 'reinvigorate' the franchise than there was for Godzilla. From what I know, Ultra-stuff has maintained a pretty steady level of mainstream popularity that Godzilla hasn't, so that gives the film a little leeway to be imperfect.
Last edited by Major sssspielberg! on Mon May 11, 2020 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kaltes-Herzeleid wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 9:44 am I love Final Wars. I praise Final Wars. Simple as.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Like Shin Godzilla Shin Ultraman is about taking the original concept of the character and bringing it to life in ways that wasn't possible in the time of their release. Doing the characters how they were originally envisioned on paper and making it reality.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

My only fear is that the movie becomes too nihilistic. Maybe it’s just the material I’ve been exposed to, but while I love Anno, a lot of his works are quite dark, gloomy, and sometimes downright oppressive. I think this works in those stories, and many of them do end with glimmers of hope, but I don’t think this will work well for Ultraman. Again, I haven’t seen all of Anno’s works, and even less of Higuchi’s, so it may be that I’ve only watched his darker stuff.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue May 12, 2020 7:05 am, edited 3 times in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

I don't see it. That's never really been what the character is about and I'm pretty sure Anno and Higuchi understand that.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

It's possible that my concern for this is the subconscious reaction to multiple irrelevant factors, the more I think about it. I know that there has been a trend in western media to reinvent historically optimistic ips in a pessimistic, "mature" way. Sometimes this works out, other-times it comes across as a betrayal of the source material more than anything. But again, this is western media, so I really shouldn't be too concerned about its influence in a work like this. And I do agree that my worry is doubly dubious considering the design philosophy seems to be a reinvention of the original character, meaning Anno and Higuchi would have to massively misunderstand the character for this to happen, something that is especially unlikely considering their status as fans of the original material.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jetty_Jags wrote:It's possible that my concern for this is the subconscious reaction to multiple irrelevant factors, the more I think about it. I know that there has been a trend in western media to reinvent historically optimistic ips in a pessimistic, "mature" way. Sometimes this works out, other-times it comes across as a betrayal of the source material more than anything.
I feel like this is happening a lot more in modern media nowadays. Most new comic book characters are just people who shout edgelord poop and not actually inspire others to maybe make a good difference in the world. Hopefully, SU is not gonna be anything like that.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

tyrantgoji wrote:I feel like this is happening a lot more in modern media nowadays. Most new comic book characters are just people who shout edgelord poop and not actually inspire others to maybe make a good difference in the world. Hopefully, SU is not gonna be anything like that.
It's a shame that many people equate having a heavy story to mean that every aspect of it must be depraved of any human decency which is downright wrong, (although is probably due to bad writing more than anything). My go to example is the Incredibles. It is a very dark story. There is genocide, death and consequences, and an entire subplot revolves around a potential affair, how could this possibly be a family movie? And yet it is, because the main cast, while having flaws, exhibits a positive outlook on humanity. Yes the story has real stakes and consequences, but this is balanced out by the inherent desire to do good within its protagonists. So many works in this time think that to have a heavy story, the protagonists must be equally as bleak as the story's events, and again while this works in some stories, I get tired when it permeates through everything, especially in media that has historically been philosophically against this mindset.
Last edited by Jetty_Jags on Tue May 12, 2020 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
He Jock it Made of Steel

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

https://youtu.be/CxswrL3AzKQ

I've heard this on kaiju network on twitter as well. Small hints that a shin universe is in the works?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Like Shin Godzilla Shin Ultraman is about taking the original concept of the character and bringing it to life in ways that wasn't possible in the time of their release. Doing the characters how they were originally envisioned on paper and making it reality.
Did they real envision Godzilla having tail lasers in 1954?

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

miguelnuva wrote:https://youtu.be/CxswrL3AzKQ

I've heard this on kaiju network on twitter as well. Small hints that a shin universe is in the works?
I’m taking this more as a translation error than anything. I’m all for a anthology but am totally against a cinematic universe.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

Would have been nice and responsible of him to share the original source instead of literally anything he did in that video.

Edit: He also published a video titled "Godzilla 2014 - 6 Years Later: An Unappreciated Work of Art"... unappreciated? He doesn't hang around most online Godzilla fans then. :roll:
Last edited by Terasawa on Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

^Yeah i'm really not sure why people are saying the MonsterVerse films are underrated. Sure i don't like the two Godzilla films, but i'm like, the 3% that doesn't.

Anyway, i would prefer the Shin films separate, at least film wise. Promotion material though? Go right on with it! Just like the Godzilla vs. Evangelion merchandise, do the same for Shin Godzilla vs. Shin Ultraman! :)
Last edited by Gigantis on Mon May 18, 2020 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jetty_Jags wrote:

I’m taking this more as a translation error than anything. I’m all for a anthology but am totally against a cinematic universe.
We haven't had a Toho cinematic universe since the mid-90s, so I'm totally for it at this point.

Added in 3 minutes 1 second:
tyrantgoji wrote:^Yeah i'm really not sure why people are saying the MonsterVerse films are underrated. Sure i don't like the two Godzilla films, but i'm like, the 3% that doesn't.
He could hang around this forum, the anti-Monsterverse people here probably is higher than elsewhere, and louder...
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Vakanai wrote: He could hang around this forum, the anti-Monsterverse people here probably is higher than elsewhere, and louder...
One forum that literally no one cares about doesn't make up the entire population of Godzilla fans. Again, really don't know what people are seeing that's enough to call the MonsterVerse "underrated".

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote: He could hang around this forum, the anti-Monsterverse people here probably is higher than elsewhere, and louder...
One forum that literally no one cares about doesn't make up the entire population of Godzilla fans. Again, really don't know what people are seeing that's enough to call the MonsterVerse "underrated".
That was kind of half-joking there you know (the other half was mild-whining at the divisive ranting that pops up here sometimes).
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

We've gotten pretty far off topic here, but I just wanted to point out that "Godzilla 2014 is underrated" and "the MonsterVerse as a whole is underrated" are not the same claim.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.