Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
Gigantis
Sazer

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by Gigantis »

Cookson wrote:Maybe not a direct sequel from Shin Godzilla.... but using the Shin Godzilla design.
For what purppse? The monsters don't have to be Shin level ugly and Ultraman himself really doesn't need to look terrifying.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Cookson wrote:Maybe not a direct sequel from Shin Godzilla.... but using the Shin Godzilla design.
For what purppse? The monsters don't have to be Shin level ugly and Ultraman himself really doesn't need to look terrifying.
Because the Shin Godzilla design is the face of the Japan series’ right now.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cookson wrote:
tyrantgoji wrote:
Because the Shin Godzilla design is the face of the Japan series’ right now.
Yeah but Anno isn't gonna keep the same motive going for every film that he makes. If anything i'd be shocked if Shin Ultraman was just Shin G 2.0

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

A crossover with Shin is likely, but will not have anything to do with films. Most likely some merch tie-ins (which is exceedingly common in Japan). If we get lucky, maybe we will get something similar to the USJ Godzilla X Evangelion Ride. I'm of the belief that Godzilla should never cross over with Ultraman anyways to begin with.

I haven't stated this before, but the Ultraman franchise has gotten really stale and I'm glad this could put something into it I'd like.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Yeah, the Ultraman franchise just has too much in it. It’s hard to even know what’s going on because there’s shows CONSTANTLY every year. I’m picking up the Millcreek releases... but it’s like... am I really gonna watch all this?

A new movie and possibly cross merchandising with other franchise (like Godzilla) gives it a breath of fresh air. Maybe Shin Ultraman should just be a new beginning and produce good quality movies only every 2-3 years like Godzilla has become/will be with future films.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Anno and Higuchi have both come out to say that Return of Ultraman is their favorite series. I imagine this movie might take a lot of I inspiration from it.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:Anno and Higuchi have both come out to say that Return of Ultraman is their favorite series. I imagine this movie might take a lot of I inspiration from it.
There’s a ton of praise for that series, so very much looking forward to seeing what the fuss is about with Millcreeks release right around the corner. Good stuff.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

I'll quote these to keep them easy to locate:
szmigiel wrote:Maybe it will be an expanded remake of his "Return of Ultraman" fan film?
https://youtu.be/mwm6fw7lu3w
With the original Return of Ultraman getting released in a few more months, I'm interested to see just how much that show influenced Anno's own techniques; watching this fan short, one can already see hints of the style Anno would become famous for in programs like Neon Genesis Evangelion.
One particular detail I like in the film is the captain's glasses, which give the captain a cold, distant air for most of the runtime (perhaps foreshadowing Coach from Gunbuster and Gendo from Evangelion?), until the climax when the captain loses them in the middle of realizing his actions - a human connection is restored.

ray243 wrote:This might be useful to people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q-mZJ3TXoE8
I wouldn't be surprised if Shin Ultraman ends up resembling Nexus in certain ways - some of the comments Anno and Higuchi make here, like how people today would realistically react to Ultraman, remind me of subjects and issues which were brought up in Nexus. That's not a bad thing by any means in my opinion, mind you.
For that matter, didn't Ultraman's appearance in The Next have a certain organic look to it? Maybe something along those lines will fit here as well.

Finally, although this is a pretty late reply:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
DirektorSplennic wrote:I can almost guarantee Sagisu will compose. Makes me wonder how his style will work with Ultraman, since most of the Ultraman shows have very happy/heroic music, while Sagisu is more serious and sometimes chaotic (God's Message is one of those)
Eh the series as a whole, especially Ultra Q, does have its share of creepy music.
Let's not forget Shiro Sagisu's work on the original Neon Genesis Evangelion, which practically sounds tailor-made to fit an Ultra series. And then there's his recent score for SSSS.GRIDMAN, hitting the nail even closer to the head.
Honestly, at this point I feel like Sagisu has essentially scored an Ultraman show already - which just makes me even more interested to hear what he would come up with if he ends up scoring Shin Ultraman.

Spoiler:
...Also, what the heck is wrong with the formatting? Can the pages not handle more than one YouTube embed per post??

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

While this is just kind of an overview, here are some more similarities between Ultraman and the Eva,

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=767BoFiu_7E
He Jock it Made of Steel

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

^Thanks for sharing that. Anno's quote about CGI's issues is particularly interesting, considering all the computer effects in Shin Godzilla - and maybe a bit more enlightening, since a lot of the effects in the film still LOOK kind of like they were done practically. I suspect the Ultraman film will have more traditional effects than we might be led to believe.

fred25_ca
Monarch Researcher

Post by fred25_ca »

LegendZilla wrote:The fact that Shinji Higuchi is set to direct this worries me.
It should, Higuchi is a God awful director. He is the Uwe Boll of Japan at this point. People have to be delusional if they think this will be good. I was still holding out hope Anno would end up directing in the end but now that they have wrap filming, the project is pretty much doomed. Ugh.
And no, it wasn't the writing that killed the two Attack on Titans movies (which was cringe worthy, mind you), it was sorely Higuchi's directing. The movies were awkward in every ways.
After how bad his movies were received, I figured Toho had wised up but nope. They are doubling down!

I also don't think people realise how important Anno's directing was to Shin Godzilla. What I find awful is that most people who enjoyed Shin God will not understand (and won't see it coming either) when they go see Shin Ultraman and end up with something far worse than Godzilla because Toho and co. will sell this as "from the makers of Shin Godzilla". Even the fx will look a lot worse, Higuchi has no restraints. He's good but only when he has a good director like Kaneko or Anno telling him what to put on screen. He doesn't know how to shoot his own Fx (as seen with Attack of titans or his 2 previous movies) but Anno does. Look at how beautiful Shin Godzilla was. You loose Anno, you loose everything.

In a way, i'm kind of happy this is happening. I wish we were getting a good movie but at least, when this comes out and bombs (or at the very least be a disappointment compared to Shin Godzilla) and is ridiculed by most critics and audiences (like the Titans movies were), it will save (hopefully) Godzilla. After the success of Shin Godzilla (and Anno probably not up to returning), you can bet Higuchi was at the top of the list to make the next Godzilla movie. Hopefully Shin Ultraman's upcoming disaster will come fast enough to wake up Toho about Higuchi's shortcomings (i'm sure they were disappointed after the colossal failure of the Titans movies and that it was the combo of Anno and Higuchi that convinced them to give him another chance for Shin).

Or Toho will be Toho and after Ultraman disappoints, they'll still give Higuchi the keys to Godzilla's future simply because they will be desperate to recreate Shin Godzilla's success...

Added in 39 minutes 56 seconds:
Rody wrote:^Thanks for sharing that. Anno's quote about CGI's issues is particularly interesting, considering all the computer effects in Shin Godzilla - and maybe a bit more enlightening, since a lot of the effects in the film still LOOK kind of like they were done practically. I suspect the Ultraman film will have more traditional effects than we might be led to believe.
But Anno is not directing. He only wrote the movie. What he likes won't matter, this will be up to Higuchi. It seems to me there's a certain disconnect here from most users who don't seem to realise that Anno is simply writing Shin. Anno was directing the last Evangelion movie at the same time Higuchi was shooting Ultraman. Higuchi might still go for more practical effects (it is where he shines afterall) but that would be up to him, not Anno.
Last edited by fred25_ca on Sun Dec 01, 2019 1:05 pm, edited 7 times in total.
My newest monster movie, "Home sweet home":
https://vimeo.com/134487385

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Don´t let Evangelion ever cross over the Ultraman or Godzilla universe for the sake of god.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

That’s not what they were saying at all. Besides the promotional crossover and ride, There are no official crossover material. And while we may see promotional crossovers I doubt we will see any canon material. Regarding the movies direction, Annos beautiful shots will be sorely missed.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

How about we see how it looks first lol

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Setting aside the actual movie itself, I hope their leadership uses this opportunity for the property to be given a little more clout. The Ultra series, in the world of monster-type franchises, is one of the biggest yet because of the ownership disputes has been artificially held back for a long while (globally). It's a franchise that, much like Godzilla, inspired a lot of imitators.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Tohosaurus wrote:Setting aside the actual movie itself, I hope their leadership uses this opportunity for the property to be given a little more clout. The Ultra series, in the world of monster-type franchises, is one of the biggest yet because of the ownership disputes has been artificially held back for a long while (globally). It's a franchise that, much like Godzilla, inspired a lot of imitators.
Plus, this movie sort of gives the franchise a chance to RELAX and focus on delivering something pretty good instead of CONSTANTLY rolling out shows... though I don’t know if there’s shows currently filming. If so, they should slow it down. There’s just so much Ultraman product out there I don’t think newcomers really know where to begin honestly.

Tohosaurus
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Tohosaurus »

Cookson wrote: Plus, this movie sort of gives the franchise a chance to RELAX and focus on delivering something pretty good instead of CONSTANTLY rolling out shows... though I don’t know if there’s shows currently filming. If so, they should slow it down. There’s just so much Ultraman product out there I don’t think newcomers really know where to begin honestly.
It's daunting but also something done by other successful franchises. Anything from Doctor Who to The Simpsons have enormous episode counts. Some, like Trek, don't demand you actually see everything to enjoy or "get" a particular series.
고질라

한국, 일본: 친교

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle. -Ian Maclaren

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Cookson wrote: Plus, this movie sort of gives the franchise a chance to RELAX and focus on delivering something pretty good instead of CONSTANTLY rolling out shows... though I don’t know if there’s shows currently filming. If so, they should slow it down. There’s just so much Ultraman product out there I don’t think newcomers really know where to begin honestly.
Newcomers can easily jump into any of the new shows and not have a problem. I think out of the last five, we've only had like two duds so the yearly shows aren't really as big of a problem as you think.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The Shin Ultraman design has been revealed. Not gonna post it since I’m not sure if it’s officially been revealed... just at a convention today.

It looks pretty traditional but something about it is creepy.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cookson wrote:The Shin Ultraman design has been revealed. Not gonna post it since I’m not sure if it’s officially been revealed... just at a convention today.

It looks pretty traditional but something about it is creepy.
Can you at least describe it?

EDIT: Just found it and..wow, he really looks good! Although seeing him without the chest timer is kinda weird, also he's rather tall.
Last edited by Gigantis on Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.