Shin Ultraman NON-SPOILER THREAD

For the discussion of any Ultraman related shows, movies, comics, video games, etc.
miguelnuva
Justiriser

Re: Shin Ultraman Officially announced

Post by miguelnuva »

The video I posted is from a member here, and I wanted to use the original link but couldn't find it. I personally don't think the films are connected but I could also see with Toho and the team working just getting a csmeo.

We could see frozen Shin for example even if there are no plans for a full crossover.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

"Find out in Shin Ultraman" and "Lets wait till next year and be excited for what is next" simply reads as "Right now we are focused on making Shin Ultraman and aren't really thinking too much. I would not worry about it.

By some chance, if it is connected to Shin, I'm sure we will know well before, in a well documented and clear statement, rather than "some side remark someone said in an interview". I'd be happy if it's an anthology, and shin doesn't crossover. I've always been super iffy about a Godzilla and Ultraman crossover to begin with.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon May 18, 2020 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:"Find out in Shin Ultraman" and "Lets wait till next year and be excited for what is next" simply reads as "Right now we are focused on making Shin Ultraman and aren't really thinking too much. I would not worry about it.

By some chance, if it is connected to Shin, I'm sure we will know well before, in a well documented and clear statement, rather than "some side remark someone said in an interview". I'd be happy if it's an anthology, and shin doesn't crossover. I've always been super iffy about a Godzilla and Ultraman crossover to begin with.
What about if the extent of the crossover is just Shin is Frozen in Tokyo and nothing else happens? I'm leaning toward you where they want to hype Shin Ultraman up and are not thinking about Shin Godzilla right now but at the same time if Shin Godzilla had nothing to do with Shin Ultraman like I'm sure most of us are assuming anyway why not just say their different projects?

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:"Find out in Shin Ultraman" and "Lets wait till next year and be excited for what is next" simply reads as "Right now we are focused on making Shin Ultraman and aren't really thinking too much. I would not worry about it.

What about if the extent of the crossover is just Shin is Frozen in Tokyo and nothing else happens? I'm leaning toward you where they want to hype Shin Ultraman up and are not thinking about Shin Godzilla right now but at the same time if Shin Godzilla had nothing to do with Shin Ultraman like I'm sure most of us are assuming anyway why not just say their different projects?
Then it becomes a Cloverfield Paradox situation where things are just being referenced and forced in, rather than it organically belonging there.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Vakanai wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:https://youtu.be/CxswrL3AzKQ

I've heard this on kaiju network on twitter as well. Small hints that a shin universe is in the works?
I’m taking this more as a translation error than anything. I’m all for a anthology but am totally against a cinematic universe.
We haven't had a Toho cinematic universe since the mid-90s, so I'm totally for it at this point.
My personal stance is, cinematic universes are becoming like 3D Movies post avatar. They most certainly aren’t anything new, but someone recently did it really well so everyone’s doing them again I guess. We’ve had cin universe after cin universe, and the track record seems to show that unless the focus is on making consistently average movies it won’t work. So I’m kind of tired of them, let alone mentioning that we are currently in a cinematic Godzilla universe. But if Toho needs to go this route, I’d rather it not be attached to shin Godzilla, and definitely not have the first crossover be ultra man. Honestly the only thing that’s probably draw my attention would be if they brought back real suits but that’s not looking like it’s happening. So in the meantime I’ll take this wanna be millennium era reboot.

Also I’m not knocking you, this is just my opinion. Neither is right or wrong.
He Jock it Made of Steel

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote: We haven't had a Toho cinematic universe since the mid-90s, so I'm totally for it at this point.
A series of films with one overarching continuity isn't a cinematic universe.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue May 19, 2020 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote: We haven't had a Toho cinematic universe since the mid-90s, so I'm totally for it at this point.
Toho canceled their Heisei cinematic Universe when Godzilla vs Biollante underperformed. The showa era was their last one.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Jetty_Jags wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Jetty_Jags wrote:
I’m taking this more as a translation error than anything. I’m all for a anthology but am totally against a cinematic universe.
We haven't had a Toho cinematic universe since the mid-90s, so I'm totally for it at this point.
My personal stance is, cinematic universes are becoming like 3D Movies post avatar. They most certainly aren’t anything new, but someone recently did it really well so everyone’s doing them again I guess. We’ve had cin universe after cin universe, and the track record seems to show that unless the focus is on making consistently average movies it won’t work. So I’m kind of tired of them, let alone mentioning that we are currently in a cinematic Godzilla universe. But if Toho needs to go this route, I’d rather it not be attached to shin Godzilla, and definitely not have the first crossover be ultra man. Honestly the only thing that’s probably draw my attention would be if they brought back real suits but that’s not looking like it’s happening. So in the meantime I’ll take this wanna be millennium era reboot.

Also I’m not knocking you, this is just my opinion. Neither is right or wrong.
To each their own, but any kind of real Godzilla x Ultraman would get me hyped. I'm the kind of fan crossovers appeal to most. Whereas them going back to suits in a big way might get me to go "meh" at most. Seen it.

Added in 49 seconds:
UltramanGoji wrote:
Well, continuity would be nice too.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote: Toho canceled their Heisei cinematic Universe when Godzilla vs Biollante underperformed.
??? What in the world are you talking about?
miguelnuva wrote:The showa era was their last one.
The Showa series wasn't a cinematic universe either. The films were not made with the intent to connect to each other and feature little-to-no returning characters aside from the monsters who can be argued are only returning due to budgetary concerns more than an attempt at continuity.
Last edited by UltramanGoji on Tue May 19, 2020 3:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: Toho canceled their Heisei cinematic Universe when Godzilla vs Biollante underperformed.
The Showa series wasn't a cinematic universe either. The films were not made with the intent to connect to each other and feature little-to-no returning characters aside from the monsters who can be argued are only returning due to budgetary concerns more than an attempt at continuity.
Trying to graft 21st century American media trends and terminology to a 20th century Japanese film studio is always hilarious.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

UltramanGoji wrote:
I think he's referring to Mothra vs. Bagan, which was supposed to feature Miki Saegusa and include references or maybe even a brief appearance from Godzilla.

Prior to the Monsterverse that's the closest Toho got to its characters in a deliberate "cinematic universe".
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Reboot and shared universe are just Hollywood buzzwords that don't mean much of anything anymore.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Godzilla's cinematic universe as well as the original universal monster universe weren't built the same way Marvel did there's. Rodan and Mothra were brought over into Godzilla and Ghidorah fits as a team up film at the point it was created.

I wasn't aware their were rules to what constitutes a cinematic universe in film but I feel the Showa series was one.

In Heisei Toho was going to make Mothra vs Began, Godzilla was going to appear at the end and then Godzilla vs Bagan would have been the next film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

miguelnuva wrote: I wasn't aware their were rules to what constitutes a cinematic universe in film but I feel the Showa series was one.
Well, it's not that there's "rules", it's just that the formulas barely match and applying 21st century terminology created in an entirely different studio setting to something from 60+ years prior just seems disingenuous. For the Showa series I don't think it really fits the definition because the concept of what a "cinematic universe" is and why people warmed up to it so much was in fact cemented by Marvel. It's not as simple as "all these characters had their own movies and then they technically crossed over", it was the continuity and intentional linking of separate films that evolved into a greater narrative conclusion that, in turn would sprout more story strains which would come together for its own conclusion and so on and so forth. Actors are chosen to play characters and they stick to those characters throughout each film. The characters link to the next entry and stick with the story until they die or are written out.

The Showa series doesn't follow any of those. Rodan and Mothra are self-contained stories that don't connect in any way to Mothra vs. Godzilla or Ghidorah other than the same monsters (though not the same individuals) being reused. There are no connecting human characters and the stories do not take into account what happened in the previous "solo films" beyond the monsters existing. The implication behind the scenes was not to create a mega-sequel to all the individual films as in the 1950's/60's, studios didn't expect audiences to remember the finer details enough to connect them.

I mean, I'm not gonna stop you from calling them that but I think it's just a little bit weird to give it more thought now than the studios did 60+ years ago and equally weird to act like an intentional connection was being made between the films in the same general concept as Marvel.
Terasawa wrote: I think he's referring to Mothra vs. Bagan, which was supposed to feature Miki Saegusa and include references or maybe even a brief appearance from Godzilla.

Prior to the Monsterverse that's the closest Toho got to its characters in a deliberate "cinematic universe".
miguelnuva wrote: In Heisei Toho was going to make Mothra vs Began, Godzilla was going to appear at the end and then Godzilla vs Bagan would have been the next film.
Ah, alright. That makes sense.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Jetty_Jags wrote:My only fear is that the movie becomes too nihilistic. Maybe it’s just the material I’ve been exposed to, but while I love Anno, a lot of his works are quite dark, gloomy, and sometimes downright oppressive.
I recommend checking out His and Her Circumstances; Anno got in trouble with the mangaka for adding MORE levity to the story than was originally present (to the show's benefit, in my opinion).

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

You guys should see Cutie Honey. :lol:

If anything I'm concerned about Anno having less involvement in this compared to Shin Godzilla - where he was 'chief' director over Higuchi and Onoe.

I would recommend checking out Daicon Film's Return of Ultraman if you havn't already - it might hint at the direction the film could go in.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote: I wasn't aware their were rules to what constitutes a cinematic universe in film but I feel the Showa series was one.
Well, it's not that there's "rules", it's just that the formulas barely match and applying 21st century terminology created in an entirely different studio setting to something from 60+ years prior just seems disingenuous. For the Showa series I don't think it really fits the definition because the concept of what a "cinematic universe" is and why people warmed up to it so much was in fact cemented by Marvel. It's not as simple as "all these characters had their own movies and then they technically crossed over", it was the continuity and intentional linking of separate films that evolved into a greater narrative conclusion that, in turn would sprout more story strains which would come together for its own conclusion and so on and so forth. Actors are chosen to play characters and they stick to those characters throughout each film. The characters link to the next entry and stick with the story until they die or are written out.

The Showa series doesn't follow any of those. Rodan and Mothra are self-contained stories that don't connect in any way to Mothra vs. Godzilla or Ghidorah other than the same monsters (though not the same individuals) being reused. There are no connecting human characters and the stories do not take into account what happened in the previous "solo films" beyond the monsters existing. The implication behind the scenes was not to create a mega-sequel to all the individual films as in the 1950's/60's, studios didn't expect audiences to remember the finer details enough to connect them.

I mean, I'm not gonna stop you from calling them that but I think it's just a little bit weird to give it more thought now than the studios did 60+ years ago and equally weird to act like an intentional connection was being made between the films in the same general concept as Marvel.
Alot of that is me applying a new term to an old series of films and a lot could also be me making connections that weren't there I'll admit. Growing up and for a long time I always believed the majority of the 50's and 60's showa films were connected. I thought Godzilla was fighting the 61 Mothra and as they say in GTTHM that is one of the Rodan's from 56 coming back. One of the things about being a fan is we find things in films that creators didn't attend to be on film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Return of Ultraman is great, I haven’t thought about that in a while though.
He Jock it Made of Steel

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Shin Gamera when?

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Living Corpse wrote:Shin Gamera when?
Soon.