THAT Jet Jaguar trailer might had been legit...

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Re: THAT Jet Jaguar trailer might had been legit...

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:Am I the only one who doesn't want Jet Jaguar to be some social robot trying to blend into human culture? And as some businessman to boot? I mean, that's not what he was in Godzilla vs Megalon, so where is this idea coming from? Why is there a desire to reimagine him that way?
Because its interesting and builds upon an aspect of his character that was glossed over in Godzilla vs. Megalon: his spontaneous artificial intelligence.
Yeah, but there's other, arguably more interesting ways to explore his newly minted intelligence than the cliché "trying to be human" angle, especially considering he couldn't talk in the movie. Frankly a character who can't speak and properly communicate through verbal language and thus can't really blend in or fully integrate into human society is a more interesting concept to me because it hasn't been explored as much. How does one question one's own existence when they can't even put it to words? How does one connect with family? Certainly the family aspect is more interesting I think than a business setting personally.

You can stick with the original idea and still more thoroughly explore what was glossed over last time without reinventing everything. But that's just my opinion.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

Lol, no one besides LSD suggested that Jet Jaguar should outright be apart of functioning society, and he did so as a joke.

I simply suggested dressing him up to hide the fact he was a robot when on the go.
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 7:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
*Looks at GKOTM’s box office numbers*
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Stump Feet wrote:Lol, no one besides LSD suggested that Jet Jaguar should outright be apart of functioning society, and he did so as a joke.

I simply suggested dressing him up to hide the fact he was a robot when on the go.
I can really only see dressing him up working as like one comedic scene in a movie where they have to get him across the city or something, with like a trench coat and a hat on and his goofy robot face peering out. Which would actually be a nice scene if utilized right in a larger picture, but should not be something done regularly throughout.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:
Stump Feet wrote:Lol, no one besides LSD suggested that Jet Jaguar should outright be apart of functioning society, and he did so as a joke.

I can really only see dressing him up working as like one comedic scene in a movie where they have to get him across the city or something, with like a trench coat and a hat on and his goofy robot face peering out. Which would actually be a nice scene if utilized right in a larger picture, but should not be something done regularly throughout.
I dunno, I'm of the school of thought that if JJ is brought back, it should probably be purely for broad comedy. I love the idea of Jet Jaguar: Salaryman. Anything more serious I would expect to come off pretty cheesy.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:

I dunno, I'm of the school of thought that if JJ is brought back, it should probably be purely for broad comedy. I love the idea of Jet Jaguar: Salaryman. Anything more serious I would expect to come off pretty cheesy.
Well then we disagree strongly. Not saying I want some serious drama with the character, but I think relegating him to pure comedy would be a mistake. My preference is more the normal semi-serious semi-funny action superhero route, more like say what I assume Ultraman and Kamen Rider are.

Also, cheesy can be wonderful, some of my favorite action movies are cheesy as hell. Rather have a good cheesy action movie than a forgettable comedy the character will never come back from.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote: I can really only see dressing him up working as like one comedic scene in a movie where they have to get him across the city or something, with like a trench coat and a hat on and his goofy robot face peering out. Which would actually be a nice scene if utilized right in a larger picture, but should not be something done regularly throughout.
Well then we disagree strongly. Not saying I want some serious drama with the character, but I think relegating him to pure comedy would be a mistake. My preference is more the normal semi-serious semi-funny action superhero route, more like say what I assume Ultraman and Kamen Rider are.

Also, cheesy can be wonderful, some of my favorite action movies are cheesy as hell. Rather have a good cheesy action movie than a forgettable comedy the character will never come back from.
Yeah, I'll take camp over kitsch any day.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
eabaker wrote:

Do you consider cheese to be camp or kitsch? Because to me what I was talking about falls more into the camp category than the later, though you of course can disagree.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote: Well then we disagree strongly. Not saying I want some serious drama with the character, but I think relegating him to pure comedy would be a mistake. My preference is more the normal semi-serious semi-funny action superhero route, more like say what I assume Ultraman and Kamen Rider are.

Do you consider cheese to be camp or kitsch? Because to me what I was talking about falls more into the camp category than the later, though you of course can disagree.
Generally I consider "cheesy" to refer to something kitschy, something that is simply insincere and unconvincing, as opposed to camp, which is more... sincere in its insincerity. :)

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Generally I consider "cheesy" to refer to something kitschy, something that is simply insincere and unconvincing, as opposed to camp, which is more... sincere in its insincerity. :)
Then yes, we'll definitely have to agree to disagree (which makes sense as I use cheese to refer to camp and poop to refer to kitsch [and by poop I think you know the word I actually use]). I think Salaryman Jet Jaguar would risk falling into the kitsch comedy just as much as the camp comedy, but even if it was successfully camp I still feel campy action movies often are better than campy comedies (kitsch action and kitsch comedy are both equally terrible however). And there's no reason to think an honest attempt at an action oriented Jet Jaguar movie would be kitsch.

And for the record, movies I consider "cheesy" in a good way include Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Vakanai wrote:And for the record, movies I consider "cheesy" in a good way include Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness.
Those are both damned good movies, and I'd definitely call them campy, but I wouldn't call them cheesy. Just a difference in definitions. :)

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Jet Jaguar..... I didn't forget him, I forgot how much I love him.

Keep him loveable and campy, and build from there.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

eabaker wrote:
Vakanai wrote:And for the record, movies I consider "cheesy" in a good way include Big Trouble in Little China and Army of Darkness.
Those are both damned good movies, and I'd definitely call them campy, but I wouldn't call them cheesy. Just a difference in definitions. :)
Yep, our definitions of the word "cheesy" are miles apart (and that's okay), because to me those movies are cheesy as hell and I love them for it. :D

But yeah, I'd prefer a Jet Jaguar movie more in the vein of those films. Not in the same tone exactly, but more how they both kind of lean into their specific genre or whatever the correct word is. BTiLC leans full in and full camp with the pseudo-Chinese mysticism and over the top martial arts, AoD does the same with over the top blood fountains, horror comedy whatever-ness, and Bruce Campbell. A Jet Jaguar that takes the same sort of approach to mad science shenanigans and kaiju/mecha action would be pretty neat. Just my opinion of course, and actually pulling off such a movie would be hard (there's a reason why the list of films like those is kind of short), but I still think the end result of such an attempt would be fun. And worse comes to worse, I still get to see Jet Jaguar lay the smack down to Megalon again, and at the end of the day that's what I really want to see.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Army of Darkness is definitely not the Evil Dead film I think of when I hear "over-the-tip blood fountains, horror comedy".

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:Jet Jaguar..... I didn't forget him, I forgot how much I love him.

Keep him loveable and campy, and build from there.
Well I don't think we'd have to worry there - Toho would have to be foolish not to realize part of the charm of Jet Jaguar is how campy he and his big goofy smile are. I don't think anyone wants to see a "serious" film here, most of the discussion is more along the lines of "what kind of camp" do we most want to see. I imagine if Toho does plan to bring him back they're having more or less the same discussion, what kind of camp do they feel is best to utilize in his return.

Perfect world, hell, I'd love to see my campy action movie and LSD's and eabaker's campy comedy series (done as a series of shorts online) along with maybe an anime or some other project or two. Jet Jaguar Salaryman could also work as a gag comedy anime, with Megalon and other kaiju as coworkers all in business suits.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

UltramanGoji wrote:Army of Darkness is definitely not the Evil Dead film I think of when I hear "over-the-tip blood fountains, horror comedy".
I didn't think anyone did :lol:
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote:Army of Darkness is definitely not the Evil Dead film I think of when I hear "over-the-tip blood fountains, horror comedy".
Since the comedy elements in the first one are rather small I'm guessing that means you prefer the second film? It is a good film, but Army of Darkness is definitely my personal favorite.

And of course the tv series feels like a pretty fun balance between the tones of the second film and the third, albeit more gory than any of the old films managed to be.

Added in 5 minutes 22 seconds:
Stump Feet wrote:
I didn't think anyone did :lol:
Then you'd be wrong, it's always the first Evil Dead film I always think of. Of course to be fair as a child the first two films were way too scary and way too gory for me (I was a squeamish child), but Army of Darkness was something I could be exposed to and enjoy even back in...first grade? Second grade? Kindergarten? Fairly young in life. It was the Evil Dead film I could watch before I was ready to watch an Evil Dead film, so it's always had a special place for me.

Plus it's just damn fun!

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Vakanai wrote:
Since the comedy elements in the first one are rather small I'm guessing that means you prefer the second film? It is a good film, but Army of Darkness is definitely my personal favorite.
Actually, no! Army of Darkness is my favorite too. It's just, it's not as gory as Evil Dead 1 or 2 so that's where the confusion came from.

Stump Feet
Gotengo Officer

Post by Stump Feet »

AoD is nowhere near as graphic in any way :lol:
Last edited by Stump Feet on Thu Jul 25, 2019 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Long Live The Sting

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Actually, no! Army of Darkness is my favorite too. It's just, it's not as gory as Evil Dead 1 or 2 so that's where the confusion came from.
Oh, I see where the confusion comes from - I was referencing the literal fountain (maybe geyser would have been a better word) of blood shooting out of that pit scene. So yeah, less gore reference and more specific scene reference.

Added in 7 minutes 56 seconds:
Just a quick question: Am I the only one stuck with some bizarre Jet Jaguar vs the Army of Darkness crossover somehow stuck playing in his head?
Because I do, and it is awesome.

Fish Cakes
G-Force Personnel

Post by Fish Cakes »

I mean, did they say afterwards it was an April Fools' joke or not? That's typically how it goes on April 2nd, any company that celebrated will announce it was a joke, right?
Drink 32oz of water a day, exercise daily for at least 30 minutes, take your meds as prescribed, eat healthy (count calories), reach out to your support network when you need them, practice basic hygiene, learn from your mistakes, forgive yourself for your failures, admit when you're wrong, be humble when you're right, be nice to animals, and try again.
"You were born perfect, keep improving."