Short Godzilla Film Being Made For Eiji Tsuburaya Museum

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Short Godzilla Film Being Made For Eiji Tsuburaya Museum

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

So...I took a week long class sponsored by the local government and people I work for taking an interpretation and translation class. I’m not fluent in Japanese, but I can definitely translate some stuff. I think the book I purchased would be a good idea. I would anyone be interested in me translating some sections of this? If you have a specific question or section?
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:So...I took a week long class sponsored by the local government and people I work for taking an interpretation and translation class. I’m not fluent in Japanese, but I can definitely translate some stuff. I think the book I purchased would be a good idea. I would anyone be interested in me translating some sections of this? If you have a specific question or section?
On the last page, the second panel where it looks like the book is going into detail about the actual suit, could you possibly translate what aspects they’re covering about it?

#BotM

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla165 wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:So...I took a week long class sponsored by the local government and people I work for taking an interpretation and translation class. I’m not fluent in Japanese, but I can definitely translate some stuff. I think the book I purchased would be a good idea. I would anyone be interested in me translating some sections of this? If you have a specific question or section?
On the last page, the second panel where it looks like the book is going into detail about the actual suit, could you possibly translate what aspects they’re covering about it?
Will do! Give me a few days. Currently wrapping up a project I'm working on and a manga translation. Added to the roster!
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Awesome, thanks mate! Looking forward to it :)!

#BotM

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla165 wrote:Awesome, thanks mate! Looking forward to it :)!
You’re gonna laugh, but this took me two hours, cheers:
Modeling 08: Completion of the First Generation Godzilla Suit

Finally, in July 18th 2018, the First Generation Godzilla suit was completed. After reassembling the suit actor Mr. Saito entered inside the suit again. (The ability) Walking and movement are confirmed.
Further, to test the suits ability to function, every single part of the suit, such as the suits colors, eyeball operation, mouth opening and closing, the tail movement are meticulously tested and checked.
I can do way more if desired. Don’t worry, it’s good practice.

Basically, there’s 1-8 parts detailing the creation of the suit, going from a clay mold to the final product. What I wound up translating is the final part, just talking about how the suit is essentially taken for a test run and made sure to work.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Mon Dec 16, 2019 5:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

No worries! It’s fascinating nonetheless, especially the part about eye operation; I didn’t know this suit would have that implemented, which is pretty cool. It appears like they’ve created a very lively suit with a ton of emotion.

#BotM

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Yes, it was very interesting. Thank you for that LSD Jellyfish.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla165 wrote:No worries! It’s fascinating nonetheless, especially the part about eye operation; I didn’t know this suit would have that implemented, which is pretty cool. It appears like they’ve created a very lively suit with a ton of emotion.
There's a page listing the eyes itself. I'm curious and starting to believe this isn't a one for one creation of the OG suit, at least internally.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I’m not sure why they would have wanted to completely replicate the original suit down to its internal structure. By all accounts the original costume was a nightmare.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:I’m not sure why they would have wanted to completely replicate the original suit down to its internal structure. By all accounts the original costume was a nightmare.
Perhaps for the same reason Thor Heyerdahl chose to build and sail on the Kon-Tiki?
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I’m not sure why they would have wanted to completely replicate the original suit down to its internal structure. By all accounts the original costume was a nightmare.
At the very least, I meant something close to what technology would have been accomplish-able at the time. The whole point is to celebrate effect things. There's a really thorough breakdown of how the suit was made and eventually I'll be able to provide more info.

Added in 6 hours 39 minutes 35 seconds:

“The eyeballs are made of polyester. The iris is painted black. Then, the eyes are coated in a glossy pearl white. In recent years, there was an idea that the original Godzilla suit’s eyes were painted silver, so after consultation with the Tsuburaya Museum and Mr. Katsuro Onoe(VFX artist/supervisor on Shin Godzilla), Sakai decided on the color pictures above. “

Translated that. The idea that the original Godzilla suit might have had silver eyes is news to me, but would make sense given black and white film quality in the era. Bear in mind it’s just noting that it’s a recent theory amongst creators in the Godzilla inner circle so to speak. Feel free to cite me in obscure Godzilla trivia videos on YouTube. :D
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Translated that. The idea that the original Godzilla suit might have had silver eyes is news to me, but would make sense given black and white film quality in the era. Bear in mind it’s just noting that it’s a recent theory amongst creators in the Godzilla inner circle so to speak. Feel free to cite me in obscure Godzilla trivia videos on YouTube. :D
News to me as well. Though, the eyes do have this almost sparkle or "sheen" to them in a lot of shots, so I wouldn't be surprised if that information were true. I would love to somehow learn even more obscure details about just what went on during the making of Gojira.

But, I have two more questions for you, LSD; sorry, I just find this stuff pretty interesting :lol:. Are there any cool details about the miniatures and set used in the film? And, do we know the name of the actor playing Godzilla?

#BotM

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

And do they have plans to use the suit for more traditional movies? Maybe the short film was for testing purposes how suitmation could look alike today.
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

^I doubt it.

If the goal was to replicate the costume as the original was made in 1954 then I'm not sure why they'd continue to use it (on film or even as a test); as mentioned, that costume was hell for Nakajima and Tezuka, and the suitmakers quickly modified internal mechanisms and build materials for later costumes in part to make the job easier for the actors. I get why a crew in 2018/19 would want to make the exact same costume for a Tsuburaya exhibit, but honestly they'd be foolish to do the same for a feature film. A better test would be to create a brand new costume using state of the art tokusatsu techniques and see how that looks on film.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Godzilla165 wrote:
News to me as well. Though, the eyes do have this almost sparkle or "sheen" to them in a lot of shots, so I wouldn't be surprised if that information were true. I would love to somehow learn even more obscure details about just what went on during the making of Gojira.

But, I have two more questions for you, LSD; sorry, I just find this stuff pretty interesting :lol:. Are there any cool details about the miniatures and set used in the film? And, do we know the name of the actor playing Godzilla?
The suit actors name is Kenya Saitou (齋藤謙也). There's a large interview with him towards the end of the book.

And yes, there's a big section on the miniatures as well as tanks and other stuff.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Tue Dec 17, 2019 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Awesome, thanks mate!

#BotM

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

I'd like to know if there are any references to the number of toes the original costume had. There's some debate as to 3 or 4, since many post-production shots show the filming costume with three toes per foot.

Also discussed here, with production photos that show a costume with (apparently) three toes. I'm just curious what Japanese sources might say about this.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:I'd like to know if there are any references to the number of toes the original costume had. There's some debate as to 3 or 4, since many post-production shots show the filming costume with three toes per foot.

Also discussed here, with production photos that show a costume with (apparently) three toes. I'm just curious what Japanese sources might say about this.
Just skimming though it, there is a section regarding the feet, but nothing stood out regarding "three versus four". I'm going to be busy today and tomororw, but over the weekend I'll work harder and post a substantial amount.

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Terasawa wrote:I'd like to know if there are any references to the number of toes the original costume had. There's some debate as to 3 or 4, since many post-production shots show the filming costume with three toes per foot.

Just skimming though it, there is a section regarding the feet, but nothing stood out regarding "three versus four". I'm going to be busy today and tomororw, but over the weekend I'll work harder and post a substantial amount.
No worries, thanks for looking! It's not a pressing need or anything, just curious about it.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Terasawa wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:

No worries, thanks for looking! It's not a pressing need or anything, just curious about it.
I’m just quoting you cause I think you’d find this interesting, but I started translating the opening of the design...and it’s not intended to be a “pure” 1954 Godzilla!

Apparently, the facial expression takes inspiration from this poster:

It’s talking about how the projects manager, Yuji Sakai, was directly also looking at King of the Monsters Godzilla’s poster at the time. Strangely, it lists the year of that film as 1957...possibly a Japanese re-release of the American version? Interesting...Do we have any info on this?
Edit: mystery solved! KOTM56 has a Japanese release! Wow!
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Fri Dec 20, 2019 5:05 am, edited 4 times in total.