Short Godzilla Film Being Made For Eiji Tsuburaya Museum

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Short Godzilla Film Being Made For Eiji Tsuburaya Museum

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Those daytime shots make me both wish this would come to western audiences, and also wish for more modern suitmation.
Agreed.

More of what to expect:

Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Godzilla165
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzilla165 »

Yeah, that suit is absolutely beautiful. I’d love to see full blown suitmation possibly brought back in future Toho films.

#BotM

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Thank you very much for posting this LSD Jellyfish! The pics are really amazing.

Added in 1 day 30 minutes 45 seconds:
Godzilla165 wrote:Yeah, that suit is absolutely beautiful. I’d love to see full blown suitmation possibly brought back in future Toho films.
Absolutely. It`s still another kind of action imo.
Last edited by Gailah 1966 on Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
BIG FAN SURVEY 2023 --> viewtopic.php?t=34920
BIG FAN SURVEY 2020 --> viewtopic.php?t=30470
Video of 2020´s results --> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUxyzsQxwa4

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Got the book today(surprised as my tracking number hasn’t updated in a few days). Yeah, the suit is absolutely beautiful. Toho really should work with Netflix and get an updated Showa style movie series or something going using this suit. Wow..
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Ick, no more streaming service exclusive movies. Godzilla's meant to be seen on the big screen.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

UltramanGoji wrote:Ick, no more streaming service exclusive movies. Godzilla's meant to be seen on the big screen.
Couldn't agree with this more.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
UltramanGoji wrote:Ick, no more streaming service exclusive movies. Godzilla's meant to be seen on the big screen.
I agree too... BUT I understand streaming service deals are the way of the future.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
I agree too... BUT I understand streaming service deals are the way of the future.
I think it's far more likely if the film ever gets some home release it will be in the form of a DVD extra, or just uploaded to a youtube channel.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cookson wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote: Couldn't agree with this more.
I think it's far more likely if the film ever gets some home release it will be in the form of a DVD extra, or just uploaded to a youtube channel.
This short film yes. The conversation above was about future films using this suit and style

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Preach.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote:
LSD Jellyfish wrote:
Cookson wrote:
This short film yes. The conversation above was about future films using this suit and style
I don't see it - even if they go back to suitmation, and that is a huge if, it probably won't be this 54 suit. They're bound to do another redesign of some sort.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

That`s why there are 2 sub-forums meanwhile. The monsterverse is for CGI-lovers, the Reiwa-Era is for tradition-lovers.

G2000
Xilien Halfling

Post by G2000 »

All Reiwa-era films so far use CGI Godzillas though
gerdzerl wrote:DONT STOP G2000 YOU SEXY BEAST

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

G2000 wrote:All Reiwa-era films so far use CGI Godzillas though
Absolutely, but Shin was still made similarly to how a lot of previous films were made. Miniatures were used. I think the word the original poster used “CGI” is a bit incorrect but the sentiment of wanting future Godzilla films to be more like this short film and shin ring true.

If we are talking about the short film, and some materials I’ve been reading, I think it’s interesting that there’s still a lot of untapped potential with miniatures and suits.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gailah 1966 wrote:That`s why there are 2 sub-forums meanwhile. The monsterverse is for CGI-lovers, the Reiwa-Era is for tradition-lovers.
What does that have to do with anything? All the Reiwa films so far are CGI, there is no reason to assume that will change going forward, and on top of everything else I'm not sure what that comment has to do with the posts that came before it - I said even on the slim chance they do go back to using suits in future movies this won't be the suit they'll use.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

Gailah 1966 wrote:That`s why there are 2 sub-forums meanwhile. The monsterverse is for CGI-lovers, the Reiwa-Era is for tradition-lovers.
It's be more accurate to say Monsterverse is second America Goji and Reiwa is new Japan Goji.

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Vakanai wrote:
What does that have to do with anything? All the Reiwa films so far are CGI, there is no reason to assume that will change going forward, and on top of everything else I'm not sure what that comment has to do with the posts that came before it - I said even on the slim chance they do go back to using suits in future movies this won't be the suit they'll use.
Of course Toho will use CGI in thier new films (and already has used) but I´m hoping for a niche where films will be produced like in the "good old times"
Godzilla vs the legendary wolfman or the 64th anniversary short film could be the last films using suitmation.
I´m just not satisfied with the new CGI kaiju movies except Shin Godzilla. Just don`t want to see the tradition dying because I´m a kaiju-movie-hardliner

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

When we were discussing using suits, I don’t think anyone meant using the 54 suit, but rather just go back to suitmation, and show what it can offer in this day and age.
He Jock it Made of Steel

Gailah 1966
Monarch Researcher

Post by Gailah 1966 »

Jetty_Jags wrote:When we were discussing using suits, I don’t think anyone meant using the 54 suit, but rather just go back to suitmation, and show what it can offer in this day and age.
Which can be very impressive :mrgreen:

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Gailah 1966 wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
Of course Toho will use CGI in thier new films (and already has used) but I´m hoping for a niche where films will be produced like in the "good old times"
Godzilla vs the legendary wolfman or the 64th anniversary short film could be the last films using suitmation.
I´m just not satisfied with the new CGI kaiju movies except Shin Godzilla. Just don`t want to see the tradition dying because I´m a kaiju-movie-hardliner
Yeah I know that, but that has nothing to do with there being two subforums - this subforum isn't for "tradition-lovers", it's for discussing the Reiwa era films made so far and what you'd like to see in the future, suitmation or CG or whatever (come on hand-puppets!). Personally I'd prefer a mix, a few suitimation films here and a few CGI films there (and I'm talking both from Toho - not that "Legendary does CG and Toho does all suits" idea some have spouted). But for now everything is just theoretical, however I'm skeptical of suits making a comeback any time soon considering the success of Shin's CGI version.

Added in 2 minutes 12 seconds:
Jetty_Jags wrote:When we were discussing using suits, I don’t think anyone meant using the 54 suit, but rather just go back to suitmation, and show what it can offer in this day and age.
My bad then, the way it was worded I thought it was meant this suit in particular being in future movies, and I just don't see that happening.