How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Easy

Let Junji Ito make it's own Godzilla short story, or even full on manga.
All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home

imposterzilla
G-Force Personnel

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by imposterzilla »

Legend, the dinosaurs weren't atomic powered. I'm saying a bit of a mixotrophic amphibious dinosaur that already is may be 10 or 15 meters tall. Then mutated further.

Grievous
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Grievous »

Oh...I know...

Let Hideo Kojima write a screenplay for a film...
Last edited by Grievous on Mon Dec 17, 2018 1:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
The A.D.F Needs You! Join The Anguirus Defense Force via Private Message Today!

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Why not. I bet he'd relish the chance to write a Godzilla movie.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

I honestly like the "Alien Godzilla " idea. it's a nice way to make him stand out from the rest, but they won't go through with it i'm sure.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I don't think Toho needs to make Godzilla "weirder". Shin was good for one movie IMO. I don't need to see that version again.

If you think about it, the 70's Showa versions of Godzilla were weird. His personality and intelligence is human-like. The scores for the movies were weird. You can actually make a weird Godzilla film without Godzilla himself being weird. Comes down to atmosphere, tone, which you can control visually and through score.

I grew up with all versions of Godzilla, so an Alternate Universe type Godzilla film is welcomed. The child and nerd in me would like to see a modern reboot of Mechagodzilla 74. Love that 74 design! If you really want Godzilla to look different, maybe use that spiky red chested unused concept design from Godzilla Final Wars?

If I were to go that direction, Godzilla would have to have more than his standard Atomic Breath. I would at Spiral Blasts and Nuclear Pulse.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

It'd be interesting to see an amphibian textured Goji, crocodilian head, with a more salamander-ish tail, but keeping all the known aspects in tact, maybe emphasis on the keloid scars in certain spots
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Well obviously Godzilla needs to go on Maury to see if he's really Minilla's dad because I personally have some doubts.

Seriously though, Shin Godzilla and the Anime Trilogy really went outside the box with Godzilla (for better or worse) and my pea brain can't imagine it getting any more out there than that while also staying true to the character.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they do.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

_JNavs_ wrote:It'd be interesting to see an amphibian textured Goji, crocodilian head, with a more salamander-ish tail, but keeping all the known aspects in tact, maybe emphasis on the keloid scars in certain spots
someone the next page over said one of the earlier concepts for Godzilla 54 was in fact a more amphibian version, so it's been brought up before and it's not to out of the question.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
_JNavs_ wrote:It'd be interesting to see an amphibian textured Goji, crocodilian head, with a more salamander-ish tail, but keeping all the known aspects in tact, maybe emphasis on the keloid scars in certain spots
someone the next page over said one of the earlier concepts for Godzilla 54 was in fact a more amphibian version, so it's been brought up before and it's not to out of the question.
Yeah if we're talking about the same version Nauts are making a figure based on that concept art, It's a great design, but I meant along the lines of a fishlike texture, similar to a Giant Salamander, no scales, more deep sea skin mixed with deep tissue keloid scars.

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

GojiDog wrote:Well obviously Godzilla needs to go on Maury to see if he's really Minilla's dad because I personally have some doubts.

Seriously though, Shin Godzilla and the Anime Trilogy really went outside the box with Godzilla (for better or worse) and my pea brain can't imagine it getting any more out there than that while also staying true to the character.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they do.
Your first idea needs to be a priority for Toho :P
Yeah, I loved all the new takes but I can't imagine any new "scientific" takes without going too far. I suppose going spiritual or mystical would be a nice change of pace.
If the World of Godzilla and MV fails, then I guess I could go back to formula and watch the Holy Showa Era and Shin for the 176th time.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Here's a silly one I just came up with.

Make him a salamander who was bitten by a sailfin lizard who was infected with radioactivity, which leads to the salamander becoming a weird combination of a sailfin lizard and grows big and have him lay eggs who once they hatch, all resemble fat toads with Godzilla's dorsal fins and shoot atomic breath.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

You can find me elsewhere here: https://linktr.ee/AllosaurHouse

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Make him what a modern day Mosasaurus would look like after millions of years of evolution. (Obviously fictionalized a bit)
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Fri Mar 29, 2019 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

Another idea could be make him a being from hell, retaining the classic Godzilla shape but with a charcoal burnt look and the dorsal fins are entirely flames of fire. You can already imagine how this would look on a t-shirt or all the fan art pairing him with Ghost Rider.
A maker of fun cartoons and puppets for everyone's entertainment on my YouTube channel "Allosaur House"
Your local stan of Lone Wolf Baron Corbin, Shin Godzilla and Dinosaur enthusiast and Mexican young adult that lives in Canada.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

If we wanted to go weirder how about giving Godzilla some kind of voice? Like a psychic link to someone that Godzilla uses to actually speak lines of dialog through?

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

cloverfan98 wrote:If we wanted to go weirder how about giving Godzilla some kind of voice? Like a psychic link to someone that Godzilla uses to actually speak lines of dialog through?
Toho wouldn't allow that. I think that's one of their rules they use for licensing and stuff like that.

Ben Shapiro
Interpol Agent

Post by Ben Shapiro »

Atomic Ghost.
(Not 2001 either)
Facts don't care about your feelings

AllosaurHell
Monarch Researcher

Post by AllosaurHell »

cloverfan98 wrote:If we wanted to go weirder how about giving Godzilla some kind of voice? Like a psychic link to someone that Godzilla uses to actually speak lines of dialog through?
If he's gonna have a voice, he better sound badass, like a Josh Brolin or Keanu Reeves type if you get my drift.

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

UltramanGoji wrote:
Toho wouldn't allow that. I think that's one of their rules they use for licensing and stuff like that.
Makes sense that's just one of the crazier things I could think of.

Manuelito Canelito
G-Grasper

Post by Manuelito Canelito »

Maybe something like how Jormungandr speaks in God of War?

All houses have the same. Roof. Floor. Walls. People yelling at you that they're calling the police because you broke into their house. It's only when you give them love that they truly become Home