How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:30 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:29 am
LegendZilla wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 7:02 am
Well obviously. Any other ideas?
98 was made with pretty much no respect for the original source material while Shin was made by two people who ACTUALLY wanted to do Godzilla justice.
If GINO actually had been done by someone who desired to do the character justice, would've that made a difference? Even with all the deviations?
Well, wait... If GINO had been done by someone who desired to do the character justice, then the monster and - perhaps more importantly - the story he occupied would have come out very differently. There might have been just as many deviations, but by and large they wouldn't have been the same deviations.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Re: How could Toho make Godzilla even "weirder"? What new directions might they go in after 2020?

Post by LegendZilla »

eabaker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:36 pm
Gigantis wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:29 am

98 was made with pretty much no respect for the original source material while Shin was made by two people who ACTUALLY wanted to do Godzilla justice.
If GINO actually had been done by someone who desired to do the character justice, would've that made a difference? Even with all the deviations?
Well, wait... If GINO had been done by someone who desired to do the character justice, then the monster and - perhaps more importantly - the story he occupied would have come out very differently. There might have been just as many deviations, but by and large they wouldn't have been the same deviations.
My question is would've GINO been accepted with the same deviations we got.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LegendZilla wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:54 pm
eabaker wrote: Fri Jan 15, 2021 4:36 pm

My question is would've GINO been excepted with the same deviations we got.
The same finished product would have gotten the same response, because it would be the same.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

My point is, some like new "creative" routes for Godzilla and slavishly gobble it up no matter how weird things get, while others like to keep things plain, such as myself. Those of you in favor of the former should be satisfied with your fill that both Shin and the Anime trilogy gave us. Sometimes we all have to turn things back a notch. For me, It takes more than just Godzilla looking and acting the part to make me happy.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Jan 26, 2021 12:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

Angilasman
G-Grasper

Post by Angilasman »

you know what we be a cool new thing for Godzilla to do? Shed.

Like, he appears dead for some such reason in the narrative and his flesh appears carbonized (ala Gamera in G2) and in the third act he erupts from the shell. Would be a gool visual, and you could do interesting, surprising things with the new Godzilla design.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

^ That's basically how Shin 2 should start.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

tbeasley wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:48 pm ^ That's basically how Shin 2 should start.
either that or the tail demons jumping off and hitting the ground below
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Here's an idea : If Toho actually cared to re-visit older continuities, particularly the Heisei one, Godzilla Jr could develop psychic powers. I mean, there is a president for such an idea and he did show hints of psychic abilities right when he hatched.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Tue Feb 23, 2021 12:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

If Toho can figure out a way to get their films released in China... they would be good.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LegendZilla
Sazer

Post by LegendZilla »

Cookson wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 pm If Toho can figure out a way to get their films released in China... they would be good.
That would require a ton of kowtowing to a corrupt, totalitarian regime. Look at what happened when Disney did it with their Mulan remake.
Last edited by LegendZilla on Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Cookson wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 4:44 pm If Toho can figure out a way to get their films released in China... they would be good.
They have Legendary for that.

kaijuguy19
Monarch Researcher

Post by kaijuguy19 »

Toho's still pretty strict when it comes to how Godzilla's used even though their World of Godzilla project aims to be more worldwide so i can't imagine them going the way of Disney when it comes to pleasing a government. Especially with how they don't want another GINO incident to happen again.
Why am I always chasing rainbows?

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

The likelihood of Japanese company kowtowing to China is a next to impossible. They've sort of done with Legendary, but that's different.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

darthzilla99
JXSDF Technician

Post by darthzilla99 »

While it is similar to Shin Godzilla, they could have Godzilla's origin be the result of a radioactive virus mutating reptiles and sea life.

As for new creative ways for his powers, they could have his nuclear pulse be used as a reactionary shield to energy attacks and projectiles. Somewhat similar in function like anti-ballistic defenses, he can use to take out incoming missiles, fireballs, ect....

For other weirder ideas, have a story arc of Godzilla getting cured of his radiation and return to his natural state type of plot (doesn't have to be limited to a heisei style Godzillasaur. Let the writer and director go wild with his pre-radiation state).

Make both Godzilla and Ghidorah guardians of nature but rival guardians of different parts of Earth and Nature. Basically Legendary KOTM Godzilla vs. GMK Ghidorah. Also paves the way for an uneasy alliance team up against a common foe type story. Hedorah, Destroyah, or new created kaiju for the threat works.
GVK: TNE is a modern day 70s Showa Godzilla movie. Being a massive budget modern blockbuster CGI film instead of traditional 70s tokusatsu techniques doesn't change that. Fight me.

Anguirus and Godzilla being friends in the Showa series is cannon. Deal with it.

Monsterverse is not similar to either MCU nor Bayformers just because all three are big budget CGI blockbuster franchises.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Give him photo realistic genitals. And never explain why.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Hyper realistic, dinosaur build. Obviously.

Last edited by Mac Daddy MM on Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

MM when Toho unveils the next Godzilla -

Killswitch
G-Force Personnel

Post by Killswitch »

I’m not in favor of making anymore “weird” Godzilla movies or Anime. How about giving me a modern take on the 60’s Showa Godzilla? Anyway, if I had to come up with a “weird” Godzilla movie or trilogy, I would take design characteristics from the Godzilla Final War Concept Art. I like the way Godzilla looked. I could see that suit design in a futuristic and alternate universe G Film. Give G some extra powers and give it more of that Ultraman feel with the fights.

GojiSquid
Interpol Agent

Post by GojiSquid »

What if the real Godzilla was the friends we made along the way?

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Y'know how a good chunk of Godzilla's rogue gallery consist of clones? Two of them being alien clones?

What if a future Godzilla incarnation IS the alien clone?

No seriously, hear me out on this. Earth's Godzilla is dead (or at the very least, assumed to be dead), and sometime after that, Earth gets invaded by aliens like the Xiliens, Kilaak etc. and they find some of Godzilla's DNA and they take it to bio-engineer there own... but Godzilla, being, well, Godzilla, proves too much to handle and they throw the alien clone onto Earth to let humanity get killed by him. This could be the in-universe explanation of why of why most of Earth's monsters aren't in the same category of strength Godzilla is, because the alien added parts to him make him stronger than what most Earth kaiju can throw at him, and also why most other E.T kaiju hold their own better. This Godzilla could look more alien too. He doesn't share the same skin color as the first Godzilla, his atomic breath is a different color and is stronger, he has more powers, his organs and skeleton barely match any terrestrial being at all. Show that there's something off about him..

And THEN, Earth's Godzilla returns, getting pumped on some Super Radiation or something like that, and the two Godzilla get into a fight to finally see who's superior!

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!