Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Your Hopes for World of Godzilla

Post by eabaker »

I sense a lot more emotion associated with Godzilla in Shin than in any of the Tezuka movies.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

eabaker wrote:I sense a lot more emotion associated with Godzilla in Shin than in any of the Tezuka movies.
Certainly. I love GxMG but Godzilla himself is just a failure.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:I sense a lot more emotion associated with Godzilla in Shin than in any of the Tezuka movies.
Kiryu Godzilla is looking for the bone of predecessor and according to Tezuka it's his parent. That's more of a plot for him to be there than Shin to me.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

miguelnuva wrote:
Kiryu Godzilla is looking for the bone of predecessor and according to Tezuka it's his parent. That's more of a plot for him to be there than Shin to me.
Having a plot (particularly one explained offscreen but not conveyed by the narrative) is not the same as having characterization, though.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

eabaker wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
Having a plot (particularly one explained offscreen but not conveyed by the narrative) is not the same as having characterization, though.
Tokyo Sos explains he's coming for the bines, Tezuka just says it's like his parent off screen.

Like I said just to me personally I didn't see Shin show anything other than he needed to be there to move the plot., like he was truly a God like they were trying to convey.

Well on second thought he got very pissed off when he got hurt by the bunker busters.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

But as eabaker said, that's not characterization, it's exposition. A character saying Godzilla is returning because of the bones is not the same thing as Godzilla emoting.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:But as eabaker said, that's not characterization, it's exposition. A character saying Godzilla is returning because of the bones is not the same thing as Godzilla emoting.
Godzilla is showing emotion to me during the action of looking for his family's bones or maybe he just wants revenge and knows the thing he wants to fight is similar to himself. Godzilla himself can't talk but when I see him coming back to Japan and heading in a certain direction not even fully healed the characters are just telling me why he is doing so.

The majority of Godzilla's attacks are random rampages so when the films try to explain what he is doing I take that into account.

At least in Tokyo sos I perceived that Godzilla as wanting to meet Mechagodzilla again.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

miguelnuva wrote:
Terasawa wrote:But as eabaker said, that's not characterization, it's exposition. A character saying Godzilla is returning because of the bones is not the same thing as Godzilla emoting.
At least in Tokyo sos I perceived that Godzilla as wanting to meet Mechagodzilla again.
That’s headcanon. With in the actual film, Godzilla expresses no emotion.
For Emperor and Empire!

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

For King Ghidorah to look like himself from the Zone Fighter manga with manes of course.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:For King Ghidorah to look like himself from the Zone Fighter manga with manes of course.
Needs to look more gold.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Gigantis wrote:
Cryptid_Liker wrote:For King Ghidorah to look like himself from the Zone Fighter manga with manes of course.
Needs to look more gold.
We also need the cackle and the crescents on his heads as well as his horns. Also, I prefer him to have his crimson eyes.
For Emperor and Empire!

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
No it isn't, its said Godzilla was heading toward the bones of Godzilla 54. His motives are not clear once he got to Mechagodzilla but it is clear he wants to meet MechaG again.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Terasawa
Xilien Halfling

Post by Terasawa »

miguelnuva wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
No it isn't, its said Godzilla was heading toward the bones of Godzilla 54. His motives are not clear once he got to Mechagodzilla but it is clear he wants to meet MechaG again.
But again... that's just exposition. Establishing that Godzilla has a purpose for visiting Japan does not equal Godzilla displaying emotion.
寺沢. He/him/his, etc.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Terasawa wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
But again... that's just exposition. Establishing that Godzilla has a purpose for visiting Japan does not equal Godzilla displaying emotion.
Right, an objective isn't really a character motivation if we don't know the purpose behind it. Godzilla has marginally more explicit motivation than does the Chicken for crossing the road. There's no particular emotion or drive - certainly no psychology - associated with any of it.

In Shin, all of that has to be inferred, of course; but the music, the photography, the sounds Godzilla makes, his posture, they all provide sort of fruitful bases from which to extrapolate. It's not explicit at all, but it's terribly evocative.
Last edited by eabaker on Mon Aug 24, 2020 8:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Terasawa wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
He shows pain when Kiryu uses the drill and then hyper maser.nit been awhile but I think Mothra suprises him as well.

It's been a while since I saw Shin or Tokyo Sos but like I said to me personally Kiryu Goji seemed a little more alive than Shin did.

I only got emotion out of shin twice in his film.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

VoyagerGoji wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
Needs to look more gold.
We also need the cackle and the crescents on his heads as well as his horns. Also, I prefer him to have his crimson eyes.
The crescents are there and his eyes look pretty reddish to me.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:
VoyagerGoji wrote:
Gigantis wrote:
Needs to look more gold.
The crescents are there and his eyes look pretty reddish to me.
The eyes look coffee-coloured and the “crescents” look like barely-curved horns jutting out from his skull.
For Emperor and Empire!

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Can we have a Rodan who isn't incredibly smaller than Godzilla again?

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

KingKong2005
EDF Instructor

Post by KingKong2005 »

Gigantis wrote:Can we have a Rodan who isn't incredibly smaller than Godzilla again?
t h a n k y o u

Mothra and Rodan were waaayyyy too small!
Image Image

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

KingKong2005 wrote:
Gigantis wrote:Can we have a Rodan who isn't incredibly smaller than Godzilla again?
t h a n k y o u

Mothra and Rodan were waaayyyy too small!
I want the terrifying Showa Rodan back.
For Emperor and Empire!