Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Re: Could Kong show up in the world of Godzilla?

Post by Omegazilla »

Oh please no. Kong would also need roids to fit in a modern Toho universe and of course another crossover is gonna result from this. I could see something like another King Kong Escapes but I imagine legal loopholes would make this very challenging to come to fruition.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Omegazilla wrote:Oh please no. Kong would also need roids to fit in a modern Toho universe and of course another crossover is gonna result from this. I could see something like another King Kong Escapes but I imagine legal loopholes would make this very challenging to come to fruition.
Except Toho could just wait for Kong to be public domain so they don't need to worry about any loopholes.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Omegazilla wrote:Oh please no. Kong would also need roids to fit in a modern Toho universe and of course another crossover is gonna result from this. I could see something like another King Kong Escapes but I imagine legal loopholes would make this very challenging to come to fruition.
Well, Toho "roided" up Kong before, and as you pointed out Legendary is doing the same thing and crossover with him now, so what's the problem? He shouldn't be any harder to do than last time. And as has been pointed out, King Kong is soon to be in public domain, and versions of him already are.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I like Kong, and I like KKVG, but I now want Kong to remain an American monster, and post KVG be his own separate thing. Kong is an American monster, and works best in that context. I’d prefer honestly for Toho to make more new monsters as well.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I'd rather the Gargantuas take Kongs spot in any future Toho films.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I'd be down with Kong being in future Godzilla films, but I can understand people wanting him to stick to being an American kaiju. If Kong can't be brought back, then perhaps other kaiju like King Caesar or Mechani-Kong could fill his role.
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kiryu2012 wrote:I'd be down with Kong being in future Godzilla films, but I can understand people wanting him to stick to being an American kaiju. If Kong can't be brought back, then perhaps other kaiju like King Caesar or Mechani-Kong could fill his role.
American isn't using Kong anyway actively and Godzilla is a duel national monster now, so why can't Kong?
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Kiryu2012 wrote:I'd be down with Kong being in future Godzilla films, but I can understand people wanting him to stick to being an American kaiju. If Kong can't be brought back, then perhaps other kaiju like King Caesar or Mechani-Kong could fill his role.
I wouldn't want to see Mechani-Kong without King Kong. Just makes no sense to have one and bar the other.

Of course I'm also against keeping Kong an "American kaiju" only. I like the two old Kong movies Toho did back in the day. On the flip side I like the recent American Godzilla movies. I say if Godzilla can come over her then Kong can go to Japan just as well.

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Vakanai wrote:
Well, Toho "roided" up Kong before, and as you pointed out Legendary is doing the same thing and crossover with him now, so what's the problem? He shouldn't be any harder to do than last time. And as has been pointed out, King Kong is soon to be in public domain, and versions of him already are.
The problem is going to be another silly out of character Kong. Regardless it might happen in the future as throwing him in with Godzilla is almost as second nature as Aliens and Predators now. Sticking with a KKE type movie in the same universe would be a lot better and without making something silly like Kong and his electric fetish. Notice how the KKE version of Kong didn't have any silly out of character buffs to make him equal to his opponent yet it still worked and felt like Kong. The same could certainly be done again against Mechani-Kong or whatever the antagonist might be.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Omegazilla wrote:
Vakanai wrote:
The problem is going to be another silly out of character Kong. Regardless it might happen in the future as throwing him in with Godzilla is almost as second nature as Aliens and Predators now. Sticking with a KKE type movie in the same universe would be a lot better and without making something silly like Kong and his electric fetish. Notice how the KKE version of Kong didn't have any silly out of character buffs to make him equal to his opponent yet it still worked and felt like Kong. The same could certainly be done again against Mechani-Kong or whatever the antagonist might be.
Out of character? He had one real film, and his character was pretty much "perverted monkey like pretty blonde woman". He doesn't have to repeat the original movie every incarnation. And honestly, I don't know why the electric thing keeps getting brought up, it was just a weird thing Toho decided to do and you don't need it to make him a threat to Godzilla.
Last edited by Vakanai on Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

There are a few outside monsters I'd like to see crossover into the Toho Godzilla films.

Gamera and Daimajin are near the top of my list, but I'd like to see Kong too.
Last edited by GojiDog on Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

If this happens,i hope they bring back the black fur. Idk Kong looks better with it.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

I want Toho to finally do a Gamera crossover. Toho might have an advantage there since Gamera quite literally has nothing going for it... so you can easily have Godzilla “win” I think. And if Kadakowa says no.. then oh well, their loss and Toho moves on.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Cookson wrote:I want Toho to finally do a Gamera crossover. Toho might have an advantage there since Gamera quite literally has nothing going for it... so you can easily have Godzilla “win” I think. And if Kadakowa says no.. then oh well, their loss and Toho moves on.
That's exactly why they just won't do it. Gamera is not a viable character to use and Japan,never will be and never was. There's no reason to crossover with the much lesser known property which if anything ain't giving you much money. This goes for the the World of Godzilla and it especially goes for the MonsterVerse.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

From a putrid storyline perspective Toho not wanting God to lose is petty.

Gamera was the hero in every movie expect the first two, Godzilla has switched between hero and villain sever times and Toho seems to like him in the antagonist role. Gamera could easily save the day by simply driving Godzilla off after an epic battle.

Or do a team film lol.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

tyrantgoji wrote:
Cookson wrote:I want Toho to finally do a Gamera crossover. Toho might have an advantage there since Gamera quite literally has nothing going for it... so you can easily have Godzilla “win” I think. And if Kadakowa says no.. then oh well, their loss and Toho moves on.
That's exactly why they just won't do it. Gamera is not a viable character to use and Japan,never will be and never was. There's no reason to crossover with the much lesser known property which if anything ain't giving you much money. This goes for the the World of Godzilla and it especially goes for the MonsterVerse.
I see no reason why he couldn't just be liquidated into Toho similar to Shazam and DC. Outside of the pure business part of it of course.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

Gamera might not be a viable Kaiju globally, but it could be a big event in Japan. Honestly, I think Kadakowa would sell Gamera for 10 million. They just aren’t doing anything so to them 10 million would be a lot. That’s ONE film Toho would lose(movies cost roughly that but can gain double easily). It would be an investment for Toho and the Japanese box office. Now admittedly it wouldn’t be anything special if/when released theatrically in global markets except for die hard fans.

The only reason I bring this up is I feel Toho is a much different company now. The way they speak about Godzilla now is pretty awesome. They recognize there’s opportunities. Why not go for it and turn Gamera into a full blown Toho Kaiju?

** I could be totally wrong about Kadakowa selling Gamera for 10 million.
Last edited by Cookson on Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Cookson wrote:Gamera might not be a viable Kaiju globally, but it could be a big event in Japan. Honestly, I think Kadakowa would sell Gamera for 10 million. They just aren’t doing anything so to them 10 million would be a lot. That’s ONE film Toho would lose(movies cost roughly that but can gain double easily). It would be an investment for Toho and the Japanese box office. Now admittedly it wouldn’t be anything special if/when released theatrically in global markets except for die hard fans.

The only reason I bring this up is I feel Toho is a much different company now. The way they speak about Godzilla now is pretty awesome. They recognize there’s opportunities. Why not go for it and turn Gamera into a full blown Toho Kaiju?

** I could be totally wrong about Kadakowa selling Gamera for 10 million.
Nah, Gamera by my estimates is pretty irrelevant in Japan. I haven’t met a single person who is interested in Gamera since I got here, most vintage toy stores lack a lot of Gamera stuff or any sort of cross promotional IP tie ins or anything. I’m sure you could reboot Gamera, don’t get me wrong, but I just don’t think there’s any big desire to.

Because Gamera is a Godzilla clone, I also doubt Toho would want to touch Gamera or have it associated with their IP.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Toho would only be gaining from adding Gamera. Assuming that Toho wanted to try a long winning story across several films, having Godzilla, Gamera and Mothra facing off with Legion would be cool to see.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:Toho would only be gaining from adding Gamera. Assuming that Toho wanted to try a long winning story across several films, having Godzilla, Gamera and Mothra facing off with Legion would be cool to see.
Not really. I highly doubt that there’s any Gamera fans that are unaware of Godzilla or not already Godzilla fans. It’s not appealing to anyone that isn’t already interested in the genre.