Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
Spuro
Keizer

Re: Monster Planet Trilogy Discussion

Post by Spuro »

godjacob wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 8:49 am Personally, I find the third film to be the least enjoyable. It cemented Haruo as not just a bad protagonist but a downright unlikeable twat who I actively wanted to punch in the face across my screen.
I think that got cemented for me in the first five minutes of Planet of the Monsters. Impressive, really. :lol:
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

I finally watched the last movie a couple months ago, along with giving the first two a rewatch.

I like a lot about Godzilla Earth himself. I like the switch introduction scene for him as the best moment of the whole trilogy. I liked the twist they did with Ghidorah. And I liked some of the concepts like Mechagodzilla City.

That is the end of my like for this trilogy. The execution is flawed, the tone is a drag, and the ending is some bleak ass bull, and the whole "morale" that technology/human progress is bad and leads to monsters I just find plain wrong. It's a trilogy with a lot of promise, and yet delivers on none of it.

And yet, I don't hate it. It's just a middling, somewhat dull, overall mediocre three films with some interesting bits sprinkled in. It could have been a lot worse. But by god and by Godzilla it could have been so, so, so much better.
I unapologetically, wholeheartedly, and without a doubt hate Godzilla vs Kong.

Jermobooka
Gotengo Officer

Post by Jermobooka »

I really, really, really love everything about Godzilla Earth and the concepts of “Godzilla’s earth” and “lovecraftian monstrosity ghidorah”, but everything else? Not so good. Now, if CoTEoB and Planet Eater had ending fights like these...

https://youtu.be/G8T6uRovuvs

https://youtu.be/28qe6bT8gCo

...then i would’ve liked it a hell of a lot more.
:Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Mechagodzilla74: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Gigan: :Hedorah: :Hedorah: :Hedorah:

EdCh
Ronin

Post by EdCh »

Jermobooka wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 2:40 pm I really, really, really love everything about Godzilla Earth and the concepts of “Godzilla’s earth” and “lovecraftian monstrosity ghidorah”, but everything else? Not so good. Now, if CoTEoB and Planet Eater had ending fights like these...

...then i would’ve liked it a hell of a lot more.
Wow - those are AMAZING! I'm going to have to start looking at this MMD software...

Anyways, I found the AniGoji trilogy pretty unique and worth my while in the end. If I ever wanted to know if Godzilla, MG and KG could develop onto actual demigods over a course of 20,000 years, then here is the answer. I even enjoyed the political/ethical elements as a fresh element to the series. The Godzilla franchise is really strong in that it can encompass everything from eco-horror to salaryman comedy (KKvG) to fantasy-adventure to mockumentary-like satire (Shin Godzilla). And the anime trilogy is pretty decent dystopic sf IMHO.

As others have mentioned, the music is not half bad, if a little bit fractured. However I like how Mothra's theme was interpolated in the Houtua themes, and the 3rd film made some bold choices in the climax scenes.

I personally feel that the modern Godzilla franchise reached a kind of genre "ideal" in Godzilla Tokyo S.O.S., and after that it's quite welcome to have some off-the-wall films (for the Showa Era, DaM was the "iconic" G-film for me). People take issue with the ponderous slow motion of the monsters, but for me it just added to the idea of kaiju as being almost supernatural forces of nature. And being a Lovecraft fan, I very much enjoyed the Elder Gods-like elements.

Thatguy4683
EDF Instructor

Post by Thatguy4683 »

I’m going to say something insulting to the anime trilogy but I’m gonna say anyways, I feel like Roland Emmerich should’ve directed the anime trilogy, because he wouldn’t screwed it up this bad, at least G.I.N.O 98 as it own movie was fun
Last edited by Thatguy4683 on Mon Apr 26, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cookson
Futurian

Post by Cookson »

The cgi style really held it back I feel. It’s funny that these 3 films brought in a ton of revenue. Yeah the box office was tiny(like 10-15m total) but I’m sure Netflix gave Toho a nice chunk of change to have them. Just like Singular Point.
Last edited by Cookson on Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We knew the world would not be the same. Few people laughed, few people cried, most people were silent."~Robert Oppenheimer

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

Cookson wrote: Sun Apr 25, 2021 5:33 pm The cgi style really held it back I feel. It’s funny that these 3 films brought in a ton of revenue. Yeah the box office was tiny(like 10-15m total) but I’m sure Netflix gave Toho a nice chunk of change to have them. Just like Singular Point.
And the films couldn't have been more that 1 or 2 million a pop I'm guessing, so they would've been profitable even without Netflix. With it?
As much maligned as these films were, they were a success. Which is why Toho is comfortable enough to continue with wildly different Godzillas strategy, like SP. Which will make them more profit which will make them comfortable to experiment more, which benefits us. Even if you don't like this trilogy (I still liked the films somewhat, despite their flaws), it being successful is still a good thing. Even if you didn't like this, or Shin, or if you wind up not liking SP, at some point they're bound to make a Godzilla that hits everything just right for you.

Desghidorah
G-Grasper

Post by Desghidorah »

This trilogy is to me, the textbook example of substance over style to a bad degree. What I mean by that is a lot of the themes and concepts involved are genuinely pretty good, and the visuals aren't shabby, but the way it's operated and manifest lacks crucial entertainment value. This isn't me endorsing jingling keys in front of someone's face and calling a story, rather it's being able to weave entertainment, pay off, and themes together to serve a purpose. The biggest problem with the anime trilogy is that a lot of things represent some pretty good concepts, but the actual payoff is something very much to the desired.

We get the most eldritch, arguably godly King Ghidorah so far; and all it really ends up doing is screwing with some computers, blowing up a spaceship with invisible physics screwing, and biting Godzilla. Before anyone can get really caught up in thinking of the thematic implications of a true eldritch horror manifesting the worst signs of extremism and fanaticism under the tone of a nihilistic universe, I just have to lament that this is also the most boring incarnation of the three headed dragon yet to me. Yes even the 60s version that flail around like he was having a seizure every five seconds was more entertaining because the flow of the fight was always changing.

I think it's telling that KOTM's Ghidorah, whom has probably the most un-fantastical origin and execution out of any incarnation, managed to be a far more entertaining and imposing force. And the realm of animation should have opened up so many possibilities for some real physics defying, horrifying, truly out of left field abilities that have been done in the fan-made aniGoji trilogy.

Instead the anime trilogy seems poised at throwing as many concepts and character interpretations as possible at our face, and not really developing or doing anything particularly entertaining with any of them.

AniMechaG has grown into a city that is worshiped by technology devout aliens and is poised to overrun the planet showing the manifestation of devotion to the machinery over nature. Fantastic concept, what do they do with it?

... They make some turrets and shoot at Godzilla... Exactly like we saw last movie... And in almost every Godzilla film ever. Once the main difference here?

It's not even like you couldn't do something new with the concept, why not make the nanometal manifest avatars to actually fight Godzilla with? Why not make the city which is literally made of nano metal, it's self come alive and collapsed buildings or trying crush him between themselves? Why not just give us potentially the most unique Mechagodzilla that has ever been created?

Why do with exactly the same thing that we've been doing if you're going to go to all the effort of inserting these themes, in a brand-new setting that we've never seen before?
Last edited by Desghidorah on Wed Apr 28, 2021 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah I think that's a really good explanation for why I love the ideas in the movies, no seriously some great ideas, but just can't stand the movies themselves.

Mechagodzilla city? Okay maybe some smaller Mechagodzilla come out or it becomes like a tidal wave of buildings trying to crush Godzilla-nope let's just do something boring instead.

My favorite part was when Godzilla Earth stood there.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

I forget if I said it before in this thread, but holy shit, the Novels are 100 times better then the shit we got stuck with. And I'm PRAYING there's a third installment to add the kaijin and the other kaiju that weren't present in the first two. I mean, c'mon, we had Gabara in Brazil, Maguma in North Korea, Griffons in Kairo, Zillas in France, and all the other stuff. Gives a real sense of the world slowly going to hell. And you know, Godzilla fights a herd of Titanosaurus, kills Gamera, fights Varan, Anguirus and Baragon, Megalon fights King Caesar, Manda, Baragon and Gorosaurus attack the Global Defense Forces, the armed forces being attacked by Meganula, Meganuron, Griffons, Kumongas, Kamacuras, Rodans, Giant Condors and Giant rats. GOD. Why'd we get 'Slowzilla vs city'?
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm I forget if I said it before in this thread, but holy poop, the Novels are 100 times better then the poop we got stuck with. And I'm PRAYING there's a third installment to add the kaijin and the other kaiju that weren't present in the first two. I mean, c'mon, we had Gabara in Brazil, Maguma in North Korea, Griffons in Kairo, Zillas in France, and all the other stuff. Gives a real sense of the world slowly going to hell. And you know, Godzilla fights a herd of Titanosaurus, kills Gamera, fights Varan, Anguirus and Baragon, Megalon fights King Caesar, Manda, Baragon and Gorosaurus attack the Global Defense Forces, the armed forces being attacked by Meganula, Meganuron, Griffons, Kumongas, Kamacuras, Rodans, Giant Condors and Giant rats. GOD. Why'd we get 'Slowzilla vs city'?
How'd Toho get the use of Gamera? Like, did they pay Kadokawa for the usage? And they wasted it to have Gamera killed in a book?

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Fuck it give me an anime of Godzilla fighting Gamera. Would it make sense? No. Would it be more entertaining than characters moping about intro to philosphy subjects while Godzilla stands in place looking unexpressive at things? Hell yes.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 pm skreeonk it give me an anime of Godzilla fighting Gamera. Would it make sense? No. Would it be more entertaining than characters moping about intro to philosphy subjects while Godzilla stands in place looking unexpressive at things? Hell yes.
I think it's kind of weird to assume that Godzilla fighting Gamera wouldn't make sense. I think it could be done in several ways that would totally make sense.

godjacob
Futurian

Post by godjacob »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:11 pm
godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 9:26 pm skreeonk it give me an anime of Godzilla fighting Gamera. Would it make sense? No. Would it be more entertaining than characters moping about intro to philosphy subjects while Godzilla stands in place looking unexpressive at things? Hell yes.
I think it's kind of weird to assume that Godzilla fighting Gamera wouldn't make sense. I think it could be done in several ways that would totally make sense.
More so because they are from different companies. But fair point is fair.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

godjacob wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:13 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 10:11 pm
More so because they are from different companies. But fair point is fair.
Ah, I was assuming more you were talking from a plot point rather than a corporate deal point. Apologies.

LamangoKaijura
Futurian

Post by LamangoKaijura »

Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:49 pm
LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm I forget if I said it before in this thread, but holy poop, the Novels are 100 times better then the poop we got stuck with. And I'm PRAYING there's a third installment to add the kaijin and the other kaiju that weren't present in the first two. I mean, c'mon, we had Gabara in Brazil, Maguma in North Korea, Griffons in Kairo, Zillas in France, and all the other stuff. Gives a real sense of the world slowly going to hell. And you know, Godzilla fights a herd of Titanosaurus, kills Gamera, fights Varan, Anguirus and Baragon, Megalon fights King Caesar, Manda, Baragon and Gorosaurus attack the Global Defense Forces, the armed forces being attacked by Meganula, Meganuron, Griffons, Kumongas, Kamacuras, Rodans, Giant Condors and Giant rats. GOD. Why'd we get 'Slowzilla vs city'?
How'd Toho get the use of Gamera? Like, did they pay Kadokawa for the usage? And they wasted it to have Gamera killed in a book?
Kadokawa was the people writing the novels. And a showa gamera sized Kamoebas appeared, missing an arm and with melted shell, referencing the heisei gamera.
Imagine getting angry your out of date and obsolete stats for rubber suit monsters were 'stolen'.

Vakanai
EDF Instructor

Post by Vakanai »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Fri Apr 30, 2021 4:21 pm
Vakanai wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 8:49 pm
Kadokawa was the people writing the novels. And a showa gamera sized Kamoebas appeared, missing an arm and with melted shell, referencing the heisei gamera.
Ah, so it wasn't really technically Gamera, but a sly Kamoebas-dressed-as-Gamera written by the people who own Gamera. Cool.

GigaBowserG
Vice President
Vice President

Post by GigaBowserG »

LamangoKaijura wrote: Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm I forget if I said it before in this thread, but holy poop, the Novels are 100 times better then the poop we got stuck with. And I'm PRAYING there's a third installment to add the kaijin and the other kaiju that weren't present in the first two.
It's been a few years, but I recall when the author was interviewed, he thought it would be interesting to explore what happened to that other shuttle that left Earth, and how they'd have to combat SpaceGodzilla. "Wherever humanity goes, Godzilla is still unavoidable" or something along those lines. I think he mentioned he was also interested in introducing the Telegian on the moon. Dude's truly a hardcore fanatic, it was the same interview where he mentioned the intentional Godzilla vs. Anguirus, Varan, Baragon reference, and how he wanted to include Bagan somewhere but wasn't sure of the monster's copyright standing.
Mecha M wrote:[after seeing Shin Godzilla's design] Looks like partially cooked carne asada
/crawls back under rock

cloverfan98
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by cloverfan98 »

Words cannot express how BADLY I want to read these books. If I got a hold of the ebooks of them is there any program that I could run the ebooks through and generate a translation?

phantomsdaydreams
GPN Volunteer

Post by phantomsdaydreams »

cloverfan98 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 2:21 pm Words cannot express how BADLY I want to read these books. If I got a hold of the ebooks of them is there any program that I could run the ebooks through and generate a translation?
There is if you break down the Kindle version into HTML and use the base characters, but believe me, it's...not pretty. I tried it myself with the help of another forum user here, but to understand just what the heck the garbled, english word-soup that results MEANS...you're going to be putting in more work than just translating it outright. Also, the Kindle ebook is more or less out-of-print now. =/

I can't promise any deadline (there's a reason LSD Jellyfish abandoned his translation of it), but I'm in the process of doing just that. About half-way done after some rough patches in life that greatly slowed the process down. There's a thread in the book section for updates (though I admittedly haven't touched it in a while). I'll post more there as I continue. Progress: 108/214

P.S- I can get your hands on said HTML version if you want to go it alone/brave that garbled frontier. PM me.
Last edited by phantomsdaydreams on Mon May 03, 2021 5:51 pm, edited 16 times in total.