Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by ClandestineCanine9 »

a maquette with his skin falling off? where the hell did you find that?
that wasn't very cash money of you
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

I was like 'his skin is falling off to reveal a smaller Shin Godzilla while his tails converts to Humanoids? I mean it didn't look like his actual body was being converted.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote:a maquette with his skin falling off? where the hell did you find that?
Lol! I found it just going through Shin Goji images.
____________________________ImageImage___________________________
Instagram: @Lord.Gojira

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

that's fuckin baller. really makes me wonder what crazy things Shin Godzilla would/will do when he unfreezes
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

Anyone thing that if Shin continued to evolve, he would eventually "stabilise" into a normal looking, fully intelligent incarnation? I think if he transformed to that point, he wouldn't be in constant pain or confusion from his situation anymore but would still bear a grudge against humanity and try to kill them all like the anime Godzilla (but with actual motivation and background, making him a better character by default), maybe eventually getting tired of bearing the burden of hate and letting go of his grudge after a very long time, becoming completely apathetic towards humanity kinda like 2014 Legendary Godzilla but not a hero in any way, rather he'd never even pay the slightest attention to humans at all because nothing they could do would affect or even matter to him.

If they wanted to continue Shin Godzilla, they could possibly go this route. Having him evolve into a Godzilla Earth style genocidal Godzilla but eventually mellow out into a god that ignores us mortals completely (we could literally never even harm him at that point, no need to bother with attacking us, and he's no king or savior so he woudln't care if we died either) would be interesting. (Though I'd still reccomend leaving Shin where it is and starting anew without possibly tarnishing it's reputation in any way)
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Sun Jun 16, 2019 8:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

ClandestineCanine9
Monarch Researcher

I doubt he'd ever truly mellow out before humanity manages to contain or kill him, but I'm alright with genocidal Godzilla. Imo there aren't enough truly evil incarnations. GMK and Godzilla Earth are the only ones I can think of, and Earth wasn't exactly spectacular.
モスラ! ゴジラ! ギドラ!

GuardianGhido
JXSDF Technician

Post by GuardianGhido »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote:I doubt he'd ever truly mellow out before humanity manages to contain or kill him, but I'm alright with genocidal Godzilla. Imo there aren't enough truly evil incarnations. GMK and Godzilla Earth are the only ones I can think of, and Earth wasn't exactly spectacular.
I'd actually prefere giving genocidal Godzilla some real motivation, background and character instead of "Plant that killed off most of humanity and all other Kaiju thousands of years ago for some reason" who doesn't sneer, growl or emote at all and just kills humans and fights enemies like a robot being remote controlled.

GMK Godzilla on the other hand was a vengeful spirit of death and destruction made from the hatred and bitterness of the unfortunate souls of world war 2. He showed real malice in it's actions and destruction and actually fought like a living creature instead of acting like a stationary beam firing turret that occasionally dismounts and moves around.

Pretty sure Shin would be on the same boat, having extreme resentment of humanity for giving him this miserable existence and stealing away his simple life as a normal sea creature (I think that's what he was said to be originally) and then having the gall to attack him for simply showing up. Plus his character so far is well established enough from his actions and the song "Who will know? Tragedy" just makes his character clear as day with conflicting duality, existential contemplation, sorrow and grim determination.

Though about mellowing out, I'd say he isn't a mindless creature of destruction that has nothing else on his mind but he is a God who disposes of all who anger him with exterme prejudice, so I don't think he'd remain on the hunt for humans tens of thousands of years after not seeing or hearing from them at all. If they returned, maybe he'd go back to killing, but I doubt he'd let his hatred control him rather he would control his hatred and not let it take over his purpose in life (which only he would know, and we wouldn't comprehend) when humans aren't even in his life.
Last edited by GuardianGhido on Thu Jun 20, 2019 2:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
DirektorSplennic wrote:Mr Goji, eabaker, and LSD are like the (un)Holy Trinity of Kaiju Kino.

BioDestroyer
GPN Volunteer

Post by BioDestroyer »

GuardianGhido wrote: I'd actually prefere giving genocidal Godzilla some real motivation, background and character instead of "Plant that killed off most of humanity and all other Kaiju thousands of years ago for some reason" who doesn't sneer, growl or emote at all and just kills humans and fights enemies like a robot being remote controlled.

GMK Godzilla on the other hand was a vengeful spirit of death and destruction made from the hatred and bitterness of the unfortunate souls of world war 2. He showed real malice in it's actions and destruction and actually fought like a living creature instead of acting like a stationary beam firing turret that occasionally dismounts and moves around.

Pretty sure Shin would be on the same boat, having extreme resentment of humanity for giving him this miserable existence and stealing away his simple life as a normal sea creature (I think that's what he was said to be originally) and then having the gall to attack him for simply showing up. Plus his character so far is well established enough from his actions and the song "Who will know? Tragedy" just makes his character clear as day with conflicting duality, existential contemplation, sorrow and grim determination.

Though about mellowing out, I'd say he isn't a mindless creature of destruction that has nothing else on his mind but he is a God who disposes of all who anger him with exterme prejudice, so I don't think he'd remain on the hunt for humans tens of thousands of years after not seeing or hearing from them at all. If they returned, maybe he'd go back to killing, but I doubt he'd let his hatred control him rather he would control his hatred and not let it take over his purpose in life (which only he would know, and we wouldn't comprehend) when humans aren't even in his life.
Excellent post here. The one thing I'll say is that Shin never really came across as hateful or vengeful or anything like that to me, however. It only responded with force when attacked and even then, it only increased his aggression to extreme levels after his first injury. Humanity showed it hostility and it responded in kind. To be honest though, I'm not sure Shin even knows humans exist. All it knows are these things that have attacked it. Unless it gained extremely high intelligence and a more full sentience (which is possible with how its evolution was advancing), it would have little reason to take such stances against humanity per se. Though upon second thought, its 5th Form was clearly humanoid so there's certainly a connection there whether from its experiences or from Goro Maki.

That said, if it did gain such a full sentience and intelligence then hatred might in fact be an emotion it'd feel and in abundance (putting 2 and 2 together, yeah?) which could bring about a truly horrific reign of terror.

Gawdziller1954
JXSDF Technician

Post by Gawdziller1954 »

ClandestineCanine9 wrote:I doubt he'd ever truly mellow out before humanity manages to contain or kill him, but I'm alright with genocidal Godzilla. Imo there aren't enough truly evil incarnations. GMK and Godzilla Earth are the only ones I can think of, and Earth wasn't exactly spectacular.
Earth isn't even evil, he just wants the planet for himself and his offspring.

Added in 1 minute 2 seconds:
GuardianGhido wrote:
I'd actually prefere giving genocidal Godzilla some real motivation, background and character instead of "Plant that killed off most of humanity and all other Kaiju thousands of years ago for some reason" who doesn't sneer, growl or emote at all and just kills humans and fights enemies like a robot being remote controlled.

Shin was a marine reptile before he was mutated.

I'm not sure HOW Godzilla would react if he became intelligent, what with Goro Maki having probably assimilated himself with Godzilla.
OH NO, IT'S GAWDZILLER!! :D

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... H7DaHFV5T0

Shin. Ghidorah. Too. Rad.

Also the sheer pettiness from Toho is hysterical. They fucking bump up Shin Godzilla to 120m :lol:
Last edited by PopInPicsPresents on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

Didn't think Toho could release a Ghidorah as cool as Legendary did, and while this one doesn't take the top spot, they certainly gave him a wickedly cool serpentine flying form and it's cool how his back legs in flight become his front legs when he lands.. Plus Gravity Beams actually doing what their namesakes imply???? Sweet!

And now just like that, we have a Heisei-esque Ghidorah from Legendary and a Showa-esque Ghidorah from Toho.

Continuing the theme like they did with their respective Godzillas.
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

This Ghidorah is my favorite hands down (at least when it comes to abilities). At 11:54, Ghidorah's wings glow and the floating debris comes crashing down. Does this mean he has telekinetic powers too?

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
PopInPicsPresents wrote: Also the sheer pettiness from Toho is hysterical. They skreeonking bump up Shin Godzilla to 120m :lol:
Will Legendary bump Godzilla to 121m and turn the tides? Or will Toho reign supreme? Find out next time on Godzilla: The Size Wars!

PopInPicsPresents
Xilien Halfling

Post by PopInPicsPresents »

Shin hibernates too quickly but hell is it so cool. I love how the new Gravity Beams actually warp gravity and makes shit float. Also Godzilla juicing up from Ghidorah's bolts after he shuts down was super rad, almost as rad as EVA 001 running off Statue Shin to stab Ghidorah. The shot of Godzilla walking through an NT Mine was awesome too. It was like seeing a brand new Godzilla movie
Jomei wrote:
PopInPicsPresents wrote:
Jomei wrote:Anyway, who's everyone's best girl for X? I'm on team Asuna.
Mama Birdon is bae
Congratulations. You've constructed the most perfectly wrong post ever seen on TK.

_JNavs_
Keizer

Post by _JNavs_ »

I think it's safe to say Toho is continuing the theme of, less emotion, more power/destructive abilities.

While they let Legendary handle the more emotive character-heavy side of things
Last edited by _JNavs_ on Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tyrant28
JXSDF Technician

Post by Tyrant28 »

Cryptid_Liker wrote:This Ghidorah is my favorite hands down (at least when it comes to abilities). At 11:54, Ghidorah's wings glow and the floating debris comes crashing down. Does this mean he has telekinetic powers too?

Added in 2 minutes 57 seconds:
PopInPicsPresents wrote: Also the sheer pettiness from Toho is hysterical. They skreeonking bump up Shin Godzilla to 120m :lol:
Will Legendary bump Godzilla to 121m and turn the tides? Or will Toho reign supreme? Find out next time on Godzilla: The Size Wars!
Shin is still 118 meters, you can see it says his exact height right below it. But it is still obvious what Toho intended with that anyways. :lol:
Also I love when Ghidorah’s wings flash, they flash in the colors of red, white and blue. Thought that was an amazing callback to the original suit colors.
MrRockett wrote: They are a sticky bunch for sure. In 2014 all the guys were gathered around the Gravity booth to get a glimpse and maybe an autograph from Sandra Bullock. Some ass jockey decided to not crop dust the crowd, dude let off some straight napalm and cleared a 20 ft radius and didn’t flinch, he just moved up closer. I prayed Sandra wouldn’t catch a whiff, talk about Endgame....just gross.

Vandarker
G-Grasper

Post by Vandarker »

Shin appears to be more powerful than his movie self, much like how KOTM Godzilla is compared to his 2014s self.

It pains me that this is not an actual feature length film. :(

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

If anyone were petty it'd be Legendary for increasing LPgoji's size to begin with. I mean there was absolutely no real narrative reason for it in the film.
Last edited by Tyrant_Lizard_King on Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

Other than the titans are growing? And come on folks, it’s not really being petty. It’s fun little pokes at each other.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I find it hilarious how much more dynamic the FX scenes are shot in a relatively cheap attraction than anything in a multi million dollar film like KotM.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Saansilt
Futurian

Post by Saansilt »

That doesn’t make much sense. KoTM was dynamic. Heck Shin was anything but. He waddled the whole movie.
Gawdziller wrote:I fully endorse this comment.
Chris55 wrote: Anyone else hear Groundskeeper Willie when they read that?
My One Shot, "That Which was Before":
http://tohokingdom.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=22367

GODZILLA LIKE YOU'VE NEVER SEEN HIM BEFORE!
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=25688