Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by mikelcho »

Jetty_Jags wrote:If by nose you include the general maw area, I totally agree. And to some extent Heisei hand gestures kind of remind me of cats kneading.
Yes, I did mean that. Maybe I should've said "muzzle" instead.

In fact, just now I did.
Last edited by mikelcho on Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:54 am, edited 3 times in total.

Cryptid_Liker
Xilien Halfling

Post by Cryptid_Liker »

Shin Godzilla is now four years old!

Now that I've got that off-topic statement out of the way, I can't believe that you guys have forgotten that Final Wars Godzilla is literally just an angry cat.

Added in 1 minute 4 seconds:
Proof.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Shin Godzilla being four years old is a surreal feeling. It still feels "new" to me.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:Shin Godzilla being four years old is a surreal feeling. It still feels "new" to me.
I've had the same thought a couple of times. It's the fresh, exciting new Godzilla movie I want all my friends to check out... except that by now most of them have...
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

I don't want a sequel but I wouldn't be adverse to an OVA anime follow up using the Godzillanoids.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Tyrant_Lizard_King wrote:I don't want a sequel but I wouldn't be adverse to an OVA anime follow up using the Godzillanoids.
I feel like an anime ova sequel that is it's own distinct thing would work well actually. Making it an animated OVA would separate it enough that it wouldn't interfere with the image of the film too much if it isn't so great.t
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Yeah Anno and Higuchi already have their own animation studio. Just a 30 minute special or something.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

If you squint your eyes the Giant God warrior looks like what the 5th form was trying to do.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

I’ve noticed that there has been active discussion of this movie for 4 years straight. Not trying to be insulting, but how do you guys discuss a single movie for almost half a decade? I mean, as much as I loved G14 and KSI I’m not discussing them for years later, and I don’t see myself talking about KoTM in 2023.

I’m asking this out of genuine curiosity.
Last edited by gottatalktothefake on Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

gottatalktothefake wrote:I’ve noticed that there has been active discussion of this movie for 4 years straight. Not trying to be insulting, but how do you guys discuss a single movie for almost half a decade? I mean, as much as I loved G14 and KSI I’m not discussing them for years later, and I don’t see myself talking about KoTM in 2023.

I’m asking this out of genuine curiosity.
Well, I'd say Shin offers up a little more meat for discussion than any of the Monsterverse movies. But, honestly, a lot of us spend time discussing a 66 year old Godzilla movie. People still find reasons to discuss movies made in the silent era. Four years really isn't much time at all.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

Because we're on a film forum?

Anyway, LOTS of great Shin stuff here -
https://kenro199x.tumblr.com/tagged/Godzilla

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

But most importantly!
I knew about this picture for a long time of the lovely Shin Godzilla ladies.
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/b4/ea/a3/b4ea ... 6459ba.jpg
But I didn't know about this until a few weeks ago!
https://i.pinimg.com/564x/a8/1e/a1/a81e ... 9434d7.jpg
Those legs :3 But more importantly Ogashira is hunched over her laptop and very 'meh.'

tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Post by tbeasley »

daveblackeye15 wrote:But most importantly!
Those legs :3 But more importantly Ogashira is hunched over her laptop and very 'meh.'

gottatalktothefake
Futurian

Post by gottatalktothefake »

daveblackeye15 wrote:But most importantly!
That's creepy af famalam
GojiSquid wrote: Tue Oct 31, 2023 7:58 am TBF if a movie has a sex scene without a monster mash, then is it really a graveyard smash?

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

What the artwork? If you say so.

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Yeah, definitely the artwork that's creepy alright...

Moth
Gotengo Officer

Post by Moth »

Fuck it, if nobody is saying it, I will.
SIMP! SIMP!!!!!
Chris55 wrote: Godzilla: Green bikini edition
Major sssspielberg! wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 11:24 am Yeah, I saw The Room thinking it would be fun and got stuck behind a guy yelling "EAT HIS ASS" the entire movie. It was awful.
Jomei wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 6:13 pm It sounds like Yamazaki has delivered the Extra Large KINO Pie with extra Gojironi.

:Mothra61: sticking out your gyatt for the rizzler :Mothra61:

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

I must say, on every rewatch of this film, the third act's pacing isn't an "issue" for me. In fact, I find it to be just as engaging as the rest of the film, going for atleast an half hour or more of getting to know how these characters work together. Who they are.

I'll still stand by how I find Rando Yaguchi to be one of the best Godzilla protagonists of all time. There's enough little tidbits we see and learn to establish who he is. His character is one that brings the cast together, a real leader trying to solve a problem competently. I admire that, much more that he is a politician.
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

Commenting on the artwork, or rather the two female characters (and by extension a lot of the characters in the film), I do like how Shin has a variety of different looking people, on different spectrums of what is considered attractive. That's certainly a conscious choice, but I see a lot of Japanese media dominated by a lot of similar looking stereotypically, by Japanese standards men and women.
MechaGoji Bro7503 wrote:I must say, on every rewatch of this film, the third act's pacing isn't an "issue" for me. In fact, I find it to be just as engaging as the rest of the film, going for atleast an half hour or more of getting to know how these characters work together. Who they are.
I think the first time I watch a Godzilla film I get really frustrated with any scene that lacks Godzilla. In the theater I was just like, GET TO GODZILLA, especially after being so impressed by the second act's destruction scene. It's all the stuff in between that keeps me going back however. Once I've gotten the monster stuff out of the way it's fun to rewatch the movie and enjoy the film as a whole, rather than a collection of Godzilla scenes. Shin really delivers at having a lot to take in, and even in the 3rd act has a lot to supplement it before heading into the climax.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

I watched the film for the first time in 2 years with my family. They said they liked it better than G14.
For Emperor and Empire!