Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

For the discussion of Shin Godzilla, Godzilla -1.0, the anime trilogy, Godzilla Singular Point and Toho produced and distributed films after 2015. Includes US movies financed by Toho like Detective Pikachu.
shadowgigan
Futurian

Re: Shin Godzilla - The General Discussion Thread

Post by shadowgigan »

I think the music and pacing elevate some of these shots as well, and they all just seem to work in context to one another.
Last edited by shadowgigan on Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

shadowgigan wrote:The cinematography in Shin Gojira reminds me of something more classically influenced, whilst KOTM seems to fit more into the 'modern' category for me. I'm not sure what I mean by this, but does anyone else kind of agree?
You're absolutely right. Shin has a very formalist approach, which basically puts it more in line with 20s-70s cinema.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

Thank you! I will have to reach formalism to better understand what you mean. I loved how shin had a distinctly different feel to it compared to most contempory films and even most Toho Godzilla films, while still harkening back to some nostalgic elements present in precious films. It really feels unique.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I watched Shin again, I think this might be the 10th time I’ve seen it in its entirety. Nothing much to add save for that the action of where everything takes place is really easy to follow if you get the locations of Japan. I also don’t think the film really slows down or ever gets boring, even after Godzilla goes to sleep.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

I've watched Shin three times now, I think it gets better with every viewing. I didn't enjoy it the first time, although that's what I get for watching it on a flight when I was half-asleep. I found the second half boring and the themes to be too overt.

The second time I watched it, on a bigger screen when I wasn't jet-lagged, I appreciated its political satire a lot more, but still felt that the second half was weaker than the first. I felt that about fifteen minutes should have been cut to quicken the pacing.

After watching Shin a third time, I now enjoy the whole movie. I would still say that the second half is a little slow, but I can't really think of any scenes that could be cut without a negative impact on the film's story. While I was initially skeptical of claims that Shin was one of the best Godzilla films, I now wholeheartedly agree. Of the 21st Century Godzilla series, it's now second only to GMK in my book. Will probably watch it a fourth time soon.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Films like Shin are important for us to have as franchises need variety but after seeing this Subbed and dubbed it's not my cup of tea. Weakest out of the 5 or 6 solo films to me personally.

Personally I think the concept could work one day as a standalone creature from traditional Godzilla one day maybe as an end boss of the cinematic universe works for Toho, not as a sequel to this film of course.
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

miguelnuva wrote:Films like Shin are important for us to have as franchises need variety but after seeing this Subbed and dubbed it's not my cup of tea. Weakest out of the 5 or 6 solo films to me personally.

Personally I think the concept could work one day as a standalone creature from traditional Godzilla one day maybe as an end boss of the cinematic universe works for Toho, not as a sequel to this film of course.
You're not suggesting 98 is as good as Shin are you?

I had to really consider if Shin is better than the other solo outings. 54 edges it out, because it's the first, but I'm not so sure about 1984. I think 1984 was really impressive, but minus the super X it's pretty similar structurally to 1954.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:
miguelnuva wrote:Films like Shin are important for us to have as franchises need variety but after seeing this Subbed and dubbed it's not my cup of tea. Weakest out of the 5 or 6 solo films to me personally.

You're not suggesting 98 is as good as Shin are you?

I had to really consider if Shin is better than the other solo outings. 54 edges it out, because it's the first, but I'm not so sure about 1984. I think 1984 was really impressive, but minus the super X it's pretty similar structurally to 1954.
No, the only way 98 even gets close to Shin is by counting only the Solo Godzilla films. My personal ranking would be.

1. 85
2. 56
3. 54
4. 84
5. Shin
6 98

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

UltramanGoji

Post by UltramanGoji »

Counting the two American cuts of G54 and ROG as completely separate films, to the point of listing them as separate films, just seems odd and pedantic to me. At best, they're 1a, 2a, etc. But a whole separate number? Now you're just doing that intentionally.

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I had to think a lot of how Shin compares to the other two solo outings.

Shin feels a lot more original in terms of who it follows, and the entire way the story is shown. Shin incorporates a lot of interesting POV shots and perspectives that makes it better than 84. Shin also has a large unpredictability factor that can't be underestimated. Not sure which one is better. I think they're both perfect products of their respective times, reacting to different issues.

Eh, I think all three are equal in terms of quality, maybe 84 being SLIGHTLY the lowest out of the three.

Destorogoji
G-Grasper

Post by Destorogoji »

LSD Jellyfish wrote:I had to think a lot of how Shin compares to the other two solo outings.

Shin feels a lot more original in terms of who it follows, and the entire way the story is shown. Shin incorporates a lot of interesting POV shots and perspectives that makes it better than 84. Shin also has a large unpredictability factor that can't be underestimated. Not sure which one is better. I think they're both perfect products of their respective times, reacting to different issues.

Eh, I think all three are equal in terms of quality, maybe 84 being SLIGHTLY the lowest out of the three.
All three films are outstanding beasts addressing different fears on different times, and while I consider 84 a technical marvel, I can agree with you that the other two have little bit more, considering their times.
Here's my Instagram, I post photos of my figures, customs and sometimes other stuff:
https://www.instagram.com/buruno.98/

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

UltramanGoji wrote:Counting the two American cuts of G54 and ROG as completely separate films, to the point of listing them as separate films, just seems odd and pedantic to me. At best, they're 1a, 2a, etc. But a whole separate number? Now you're just doing that intentionally.
Kotm 56 feels almost an entirely different film from Gojira despite them being the same film. As someone said before Gojira feels like the actually events while Kotm feels like a reporter recounting the events.

84 and 85 I'll give you but Burr's speech knocks the 85 cut above the rest and makes it my preferred version.

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Yeah there's some cuts in 85 I prefer over Return's...the sea louse being a big one and Burr's speech.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Shin is honestly my go to on how to do a remake and or reboot. It understands what made the original so special, and attempts to update those qualities instead of just repeating the same exact narrative with new tech (looking at you the force awakens). While it does use nostalgia to its advantage, its sole existence is beyond just nostalgia and it actually has something new to say.

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:
Also I really hope the shin title becomes an anthology series of updating the classics to new audiences while understanding what made them lovable in the first place. And for the love of God don’t make it an extended universe.
He Jock it Made of Steel

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Shin is honestly my go to on how to do a remake and or reboot. It understands what made the original so special, and attempts to update those qualities instead of just repeating the same exact narrative with new tech (looking at you the force awakens). While it does use nostalgia to its advantage, its sole existence is beyond just nostalgia and it actually has something new to say.
I agree completely. I never understood all of the hype that The Force Awakens got. I have a friend who's an actual film critic for a New England newspaper and he placed Episode VII at the top of his Best of 2015 list, above Mad Max: Fury Road and The Revenant. I just don't get it...
Jetty_Jags wrote: Also I really hope the shin title becomes an anthology series of updating the classics to new audiences while understanding what made them lovable in the first place. And for the love of God don’t make it an extended universe.
I'd be totally down for a Shin Rodan and a Shin Mothra.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

Jetty_Jags wrote: Also I really hope the shin title becomes an anthology series of updating the classics to new audiences while understanding what made them lovable in the first place. And for the love of God don’t make it an extended universe.
I don't know, considering Toho was talking about making a new extended universe for monsters, i think it might be a little too late to stop them.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!

Omegazilla
Interpol Agent

Post by Omegazilla »

Jetty_Jags wrote:Shin is honestly my go to on how to do a remake and or reboot. It understands what made the original so special, and attempts to update those qualities instead of just repeating the same exact narrative with new tech (looking at you the force awakens). While it does use nostalgia to its advantage, its sole existence is beyond just nostalgia and it actually has something new to say.

Added in 2 minutes 20 seconds:
Also I really hope the shin title becomes an anthology series of updating the classics to new audiences while understanding what made them lovable in the first place. And for the love of God don’t make it an extended universe.
Excellent summary. I know some don't like the unique take on Godzilla with Shin, but I thought it was great and different. I don't want the same thing every time so long as it is still true to the character. *cough* GINO *cough*

LSD Jellyfish
Administrator
Administrator

Post by LSD Jellyfish »

I think Shin Godzilla is one of the few examples of nostalgia done right. Very few moments are “clap because it’s the millennium falcon” type things. A lot of it is small references to shots from 1954, such as the shot of Godzilla in Tokyo station, or things like people on the hill. Your nostalgia gives you rewards for noticing small things on repeat viewings, and you don’t miss out if you don’t get the reference. Heck, you don’t need to see any of the other Godzilla films walking in and you’re fine.

Sure some of the music is the same, but it’s not like Godzilla hasn’t always reused music, and to me, similar to the roars, it’s just part of the character.

To change topics, rewatching the film another time a few days ago, I realized how the film lacks any filler. Sure, there’s a drop in action following Godzilla’s ray scene, but each scene following that either advances the plot forward, or characterizes the situation or characters. The film has zero filler, and has many minor scenes that add to what’s going on, like the whole “newspaper leak” scene.
Last edited by LSD Jellyfish on Wed Mar 18, 2020 6:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

shadowgigan
Futurian

Post by shadowgigan »

I can't help but think of Shin Gojira when hearing coronavirus news. Anno did a great job of showing what natural disasters could look like in terms of government response.

Jetty_Jags
G-Grasper

Post by Jetty_Jags »

Honestly, I think that Shin will probably be one of the more timeless entries. Despite a lot of the imagery being very time specific, the message regarding the weakness of bureaucracy is very important regardless of the circumstances.
He Jock it Made of Steel