Showa Godzilla films with best and worst special effects

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Showa Godzilla films with best and worst special effects

Post by Goji »

wrongnote85 wrote:it always looked like a toy or something, but is it really a wind up? if so, than royal lolz for that one.
Yup, it sure was.

UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

wrongnote85
G-Force Personnel

Post by wrongnote85 »

wow :lol: :lol: :lol:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

I kinda have a question about Godzilla 1954's atomic breath… The scenes where his atomic breath is more like him blowing on things and they explode into flames, what would be an accurate definition of that?
He blows radioactive wind that explodes on contact?
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Varan Bon Ziller wrote:
Lain Of The Wired wrote:I kinda have a question about Godzilla 1954's atomic breath… The scenes where his atomic breath is more like him blowing on things and they explode into flames, what would be an accurate definition of that?
He blows radioactive wind that explodes on contact?
How could say that. (It was really water being sprayed XD)
Damn it...
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

Jory
Monarch Researcher

Post by Jory »

Best: Godzilla.

Worst: Godzilla.

Sometimes within the same scene.

Spuro
Keizer

Post by Spuro »

The scene in MvG where Godzilla rises up out of the ground is pretty damn good. The part where he shakes the dirt off himself is a nice touch. Actually, most of the stuff in MvG is pretty good.

As for the worst... the very end of KKvG. Puppets on sticks fight!
eabaker wrote: You can't parse duende.
Breakdown wrote: HP Lovecraft's cat should be the ultimate villain of the MonsterVerse.

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

Another Bump for the decline of discussion.

As for best, I’d say Mothra vs Godzilla easily, and maybe ToMG with the best destruction scenes in the franchise.

Worst? Most of the puppets, like in Godzilla, GRA, KKvG, GTTHM, but overall I say GRA.
For Emperor and Empire!

Kaltes-Herzeleid
JXSDF Technician

Post by Kaltes-Herzeleid »

Overall the best that come to mind for me are Godzilla 1954, Mothra Vs. Godzilla, Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster, Invasion of Astro-Monster and the Mechagodzilla duology. I do remember being impressed with the wirework on Kumonga and the Kamacuras in Son of Godzilla. I can't really think of a Showa Godzilla film I would say has terrible effects all around, but some stuff I can think of:
-The close up of Godzilla's eyes moving in Raids Again (even if GRA is underrated in my opinion)
-Puppets in KKvsG
-Godzilla's obviously poor in quality head in the latter half of Sea Monster
-Tail sliding dropkick
Resized Image

HedorahIsBestGirl
Gotengo Officer

Post by HedorahIsBestGirl »

Mothra vs. Godzilla, Monster Zero and DAM all have consistently impressive effects work. I'd say those three are up there for the best.

I hate to say it because I've recently become quite fond of the film, but King Kong vs. Godzilla might have the worst effects work of the Showa era, at least of the films that actually tried (didn't rely heavily on stock footage). Whether it's the suit or the puppets, Kong consistently looks laughably bad. The bluescreen effects are almost all terrible, too. And then there's the infamous claymation kick. To be fair, the pyrotechnics, the miniatures and the animation for Godzilla's ray are quite good but KKvG is still more of a mixed bag than most of the Showa films.
The wisest words ever spoken on TK: "When I Saw The Showa Movie's white My Friend's They seid WTF is This Your showing Me to Men Fighting In suit's they found At party city Butt when I Showed Them The Heisei film's they thoght They where pritty fun To Watch"

:Godzilla68: and :Anguirus: were never really friends.

:Hedorah: is best girl, :Baragon: is best boy

Voyager
Keizer

Post by Voyager »

People seem to forget the trashfire Godzilla puppet in GTTHM.

Also the Ghiodrah prop in Vs. Gigan and Zone Fighter is really bad.
For Emperor and Empire!

GojiDog
G-Grasper

Post by GojiDog »

Alot of the puppets used for close ups are terrible, and that's true pretty much across the board. Off the top of my head, the Godzilla 54 puppet is, um, the "best" one of those, and I'll let that speak for itself.

Best effects? I loved how Adult Mothra looks in both Mothra 61 and Mothra Vs. Godzilla. She looks beautiful and ferocious in her own movie, and in the 64 film, she looks very alive. Even little touches like the little slow breaths she takes before dying are really well done.
White Male Genocide is necessary.

Kill all white men.

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

GojiDog wrote:Alot of the puppets used for close ups are terrible, and that's true pretty much across the board. Off the top of my head, the Godzilla 54 puppet is, um, the "best" one of those, and I'll let that speak for itself.
There were arguments between Tsuburaya and Arikawa about the use of those puppets, with Arikawa feeling that their failure to match the suits was too distracting, and Tsuburaya insisting that the action and dramatic impact outweighed the consistency concern. Later, when Arikawa took over as effects director, he found himself on the opposite side of the same argument with his own crews.

I'd say that the 64 puppet is probably the best of the lot, though it has the advantage of not being shown off quite as thoroughly as the 54 puppets.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Gigantis
Sazer

Post by Gigantis »

For best, i gotta go with a tie between Mothra vs. Godzilla and GTTHM. All of the monsters look superb and the suit makers were on their a-game!

For worst...either Godzilla vs. Gigan for the falling apart suits or that one scene in KKVG with the puppets.

A guy who randomly stumbled upon this place one day, invested much too much time into it, and now appears to be stuck here for all eternity..and strangely enough, i do not regret it!