Godzilla: Male or Female?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
tbeasley
EDF Instructor

Re: Godzilla: Male or Female?

Post by tbeasley »

Doesn't the one male Godzilla, one female Godzilla thing come from that Ian Thorne book?

m0nster01
Samurai

Post by m0nster01 »

Yes it does.

Hmm, maybe i'm thinking of another suit actor who insisted Godzilla was a male.

Mac Daddy MM
Xilien Halfling

Post by Mac Daddy MM »

Godzilla's official title: KING of the Monsters.

End of debate. I think a better gender debate would be for someone like Kumonga, whom I would be 100% in favor for being a female since it makes sense for a giant spider to be a female.

Quote of the Year:
plasmabeam wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 3:03 am Hear me out on this. What if Godzilla is actually Suko’s father? In GvK when Godzilla defeated Kong and they were roaring at each other, what if Godzilla inseminated Kong at that moment and that’s why they were screaming?

Agent Smith
Monsterland Worker

Post by Agent Smith »

^ Yes I can't believe this has gone on for six pages. I always thought the answer was obvious.

Dyrakro
Interpol Agent

Post by Dyrakro »

I do wonder why do kaijus even need to have gender? I mean many of these are abominations and symbols for catastrophes... I do recognize the interest of people in trying to make everything, may it be objects or animals, fit their own reality or give them more personality. Like when we give a robot a more human name and refering to one as him or her.

But unless stated in official sources or mentioned in a movie or elsewhere, any monster/creature is just a genderless entity to me. It doesn't matter whether Godzilla is male or female, whether he is gay, bi or pan or whatever. As long as he doesn't show it, as long as it's never mentioned, it doesn't even matter actually and I do hope it never matters unless it's part of a clever story.

mikelcho
EDF Instructor

Post by mikelcho »

tbeasley wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 12:08 pm Doesn't the one male Godzilla, one female Godzilla thing come from that Ian Thorne book?
Yes, I remember that one. "Gigantis" was the female.

AaronMJ90
Ronin

Post by AaronMJ90 »

I think all Godzilla's are male or at least genderless. Although the original one being female and the Showa Zilla's mate and Minya's mother would give all three a cool connection.

LCS
Young Farmer

Post by LCS »

Terasawa wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 11:43 am
_JNavs_ wrote: Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:32 am Godzilla is male, he's the King of the Monsters.
The point of contention here is that that subtitle was added for the film's initial American release, and despite subsequently being adopted by Toho (and later on, other licensors), it shouldn't necessarily reflect the creators' intents.

Now, I definitely think there's weight to that argument, since Toho's adopted that moniker, but I wouldn't point to it as indisputable proof that all Godzillas are male.
Just wanted to clear up some confusion because this thread seems to go around the same circle. Actually, Toho has confirmed Gojira’s gender. The character’s original creator is Tomoyuki Tanaka and he wrote a book called Godzilla the Definitive Introduction. Within the book he states that Godzilla is in fact Male largely due to his fatherly attitude towards Minya. This is about as definitive as it gets. The very individual who is considered the father of the creature himself has confirmed it. So this should put this topic to rest.

However there is other evidence. Director of Son of Godzilla John Fukuda also stated that Godzilla was strictly Male. If you look on Toho’s official website with all of their character profiles Minya and Jr from Heisei are confirmed as adopted sons to both eras of Godzilla. On the special features for the blu ray edition of Godzilla vs Billante the creators of the film also state that the Heisei Godzilla is also Male as well. In the Monsterverse the 2019 KOTM’s director stated in an interview that his iteration is also strictly Male.

Now it is more than possible female members of his species may exist or existed. I personally would love to see both on screen one day. I only joined this thread to offer this information. All of it can be found with simple research. Tanaka himself thought of this creature on a flight from the US to Japan desperate for a film idea to bring to Toho. Without him Godzilla would not exist and this forum would likely not either….

If the mind behind a creation confirms something then one should listen. At the end of the day everyone has their own opinion and that’s what makes these forums so interesting. But this information especially from Tanaka is as indisputable as it gets…. The creator himself.

This is all I wanted to say hopefully this clears things up

Follinollante
Interpol Agent

Post by Follinollante »

LCS wrote: Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:26 pm Now it is more than possible female members of his species may exist or existed. I personally would love to see both on screen one day.
...Biollante?

Back to the topic at hand, though, the only real contribution I can make is this:
Who ever thought or would have thought that Godzilla was female had there not been a single possible statement that Godzilla was intended to be female?
When does Godzilla ever exhibit (or in-universe characters display) any sign of any kind of his being female?
Last edited by Follinollante on Sat Oct 28, 2023 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If I had a penny for every time I made a fool of myself online... actually, I'd rather not think about it.
Let's go back to just watching and enjoying monster movies.