Godzilla: Male or Female?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
anguirusrules356
Yojimbo

Re: Godzilla '54: Male or Female?

Post by anguirusrules356 »

I Bet [s]hes a boy.It said Minya was ADOPTED.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Minya very well could have simply been an egg from the same species as Godzilla that had been dormant for thousands of years. Even if the original Godzilla was in fact female, there is no proof that her and Showa Godzilla #2 procreated Minya.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

For some reason, I kinda imagine Minya's species to be similar to this certain kind of bird. Basically, it'd lay it's eggs and trick the other birds into raising it's child. I imagine Minya's species did something similar, hence why Minya looks a bit like Godzilla to be related, but is also very different in other aspects of his apperance.

Also is that Minya growth chart from any official source? I've seen it a bit and I'm wondering if it's from any official Toho source.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

^ I think it's from a Japanese book, actually. It would be great if we knew which one, and had somebody translate any accompanying text that went with it.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

Interesting. That probably solves the Godzilla-Minya mystery.

Too bad we don't know which book it is. There's probably a lot of neat facts in those books that we Western fans will probably never know about.

Rody
Xilien Halfling

Post by Rody »

Tyler wrote: ...and it's explained Junior is a peaceful subspecies.
I'm going to be picky here; Baby is described as a Godzillasaur, so technically, he's the same species as Godzilla, but un-mutated.

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Post by Goji »

Megalon-5 wrote:Interesting. That probably solves the Godzilla-Minya mystery.

Too bad we don't know which book it is. There's probably a lot of neat facts in those books that we Western fans will probably never know about.
If we can find out which book it's from, we could get Gamu to translate it in the Facebook group. :huge:

Megalon-5
JXSDF Technician

Post by Megalon-5 »

That'd be great! Now we just need a lead for our translator friend :D

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

I'd say there's no doubt the original Godzilla was male. For me, the key is to look at what Toho was stating around the time G'54 first came out... In 1954-1955, they were referring to the monster as male (using words like 'he' and 'his'), and in 1956 they adopted the American phrase "King of the Monsters" to describe both the film and the character.

I don't recall ever seeing a direct statement from Haruo Nakajima saying Godzilla was female, and if he did it would be important to know the time and context. Time-- particularly decades-- can cause memories to fade or change. Much of what George Lucas says about STAR WARS today directly contradicts statements he made 20-30 years ago. Once at San Diego Comic-Con a fan asked me to sign a comic book I worked on, and I had no memory of ever having worked on that issue. Memory is imperfect, so if Nakajima was quoted in the 1950s-60s it would have more weight that what he may or may not have said 50+ years after the movie was made. Ishiro Honda and Akira Ifukube contradicted themselves in various interviews; that's just the nature of being human.

I don't have a problem with a female Godzilla... but Toho and the filmmakers consistently refer to the character (in all incarnations) as male. In the original film, Godzilla (in part) symbolizes the horrors of war... and the Japanese suffered those horrors thanks to the actions of their 100% male military leadership. Going beyond that first film, Kong calls his opponent "Mr Godzilla" in Toho's advertising for KKvsG, in SON OF GODZILLA he is called a "proud papa" (and the Minilla calls him "daddy" in the trailer), Toho's international posters often state "he" and "his", Kaneko described the GMK as male, Masaaki Tezuka said Kiryu and Godzilla were "father and son", and Godzilla is called "he" by Don Frye in FINAL WARS... which would mean that ever Godzilla movie that connects to the first film got the monster's gender wrong. Or that Toho has been consistent on this topic for 50 years.

FlamingZilla23
Interpol Agent

Post by FlamingZilla23 »

Goji wrote:
FlamingZilla23 wrote:
Goji wrote:So, just because you've never heard or read those specific quotes, you're suddenly inclined to believe it's not true?
Why don't people ever understand me? I am talking about two different things again.

But anyways male is my pick.
You tell me broham. Hell if I know.
Tell you what? That I never heard of this, I never said i have any doubts but whatever.
Proud member of Toho Kingdom since 2011

kpa
G-Grasper

Post by kpa »

Inferno Rodan wrote:I'm honestly amazed that it was required for you to come into this thread on the third page and say this, kpa. I seriously thought this information was fairly common knowledge.

Me, too! But this is one of those discussion/debates that pops up from time to time, despite the mountain of evidence Toho has provided over the years.
All incarnations of Godzilla are male because Toho has always referred to him as such, even going so far as adopting the King of the Monsters title for him very early on.
I hear ya!

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

I think Goji '54 was female. It explains how Minya was born and the size difference between her and Goji '84.

But what's this I hear about a Minya growth chart? Could anyone show me a pic of it?
My most wanted fight ever is Discord vs Bobobo-bo bo-bobo.
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

There's a 'God' in Godzilla for a reason...
gigan72 wrote:
Kiryu2012 wrote:Stopped someone from committing suicide
Holy shit man.
My DA

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Kiryu2012 wrote:I think Goji '54 was female. It explains how Minya was born and the size difference between her and Goji '84.

But what's this I hear about a Minya growth chart? Could anyone show me a pic of it?
I like how you just ignored an entirely perfectly explanation as to how and why Godzilla in '54 is Male for the sake of some completely pointless justification for something that didn't need justifying.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

...What? :dizzy:
Godzilla has a regen like Wolverine, a skin like Luke Cage, a hero aura like Captain America, a strength like Hulk, an unstoppability like Juggernaut, an immortality like Deadpool.

gigan72 wrote:
Holy shit man.
My DA

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

kpa wrote:I'd say there's no doubt the original Godzilla was male. For me, the key is to look at what Toho was stating around the time G'54 first came out... In 1954-1955, they were referring to the monster as male (using words like 'he' and 'his'), and in 1956 they adopted the American phrase "King of the Monsters" to describe both the film and the character.

I don't recall ever seeing a direct statement from Haruo Nakajima saying Godzilla was female, and if he did it would be important to know the time and context. Time-- particularly decades-- can cause memories to fade or change. Much of what George Lucas says about STAR WARS today directly contradicts statements he made 20-30 years ago. Once at San Diego Comic-Con a fan asked me to sign a comic book I worked on, and I had no memory of ever having worked on that issue. Memory is imperfect, so if Nakajima was quoted in the 1950s-60s it would have more weight that what he may or may not have said 50+ years after the movie was made. Ishiro Honda and Akira Ifukube contradicted themselves in various interviews; that's just the nature of being human.

I don't have a problem with a female Godzilla... but Toho and the filmmakers consistently refer to the character (in all incarnations) as male. In the original film, Godzilla (in part) symbolizes the horrors of war... and the Japanese suffered those horrors thanks to the actions of their 100% male military leadership. Going beyond that first film, Kong calls his opponent "Mr Godzilla" in Toho's advertising for KKvsG, in SON OF GODZILLA he is called a "proud papa" (and the Minilla calls him "daddy" in the trailer), Toho's international posters often state "he" and "his", Kaneko described the GMK as male, Masaaki Tezuka said Kiryu and Godzilla were "father and son", and Godzilla is called "he" by Don Frye in FINAL WARS... which would mean that ever Godzilla movie that connects to the first film got the monster's gender wrong. Or that Toho has been consistent on this topic for 50 years.
One of the most respected authorties on the genre just explained why it's not Female.

Minya doesn't need an explanation. It's an egg that Godzilla unwittingly adopted. Boom, period, done and over with. But now this hypothetical Shezilla swam to South America to lay an egg she promptly abandoned (despite Godzilla adopting the creature indicating that this is a species that cares for their young) then swam back to Japan to destroy Tokyo. Why? What is with all this business? What does that accomplish?

It's excessive fanon.
“I have never listened to anyone who criticized my taste in space travel, sideshows or gorillas. When this occurs, I pack up my dinosaurs and leave the room.” - Ray Bradbury

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Oh, okay. But what's this I hear about a Minya growth chart?

gigan72 wrote:
Holy shit man.
My DA

TokyoVigilante
Futurian

Post by TokyoVigilante »

Kiryu2012 wrote:Oh, okay. But what's this I hear about a Minya growth chart?
It's an unofficial chart created for G-Fan magazine.

Kiryu2012
Keizer

Post by Kiryu2012 »

Oh I remember that. Makes me want to see a growth chart for other kaiju.

gigan72 wrote:
Holy shit man.
My DA

miguelnuva
Justiriser

Post by miguelnuva »

Kiryu2012 wrote:I think Goji '54 was female. It explains how Minya was born and the size difference between her and Goji '84.

Minya is about as fake to Goji 84 as he is to me and you.

As for the size difference,

Godzila 54= one nuclear test

Godzilla 84= two nuclear tests

Godzilla 91= three nuclear tests
Mothra vs Godzilla> Gojira

Shadow Area 1-0
Image Image

ArkadyRex
Young Farmer

Post by ArkadyRex »

I wish I could have read some more of the comments but there are quite a few, but I'm going to say that Godzilla 1954 is probably male because he was named after a big tough guy who worked in the studio. We may never know for a fact if Godzilla 54 is a male or female we can only assume.