Jet Jaguar: Lame Creation or pretty cool?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Is Jet Jaguar cool?

Yes, I love him!
51%
Eh, he's OK.
26%
I dunno...
10%
LAMEST CREATION EVER!
13%

Total votes: 167

Goji
Xilien Halfling

Re: Jet Jaguar: Lame Creation or pretty cool?

Post by Goji »

Jet Jaguar is the bee's knee's. I love the guy. Who care's if he's "ripped off" of Ultraman; do you know how many tokusatsu characters are in general? He's a reflection of the times, when characters like that were insanely popular. Honestly, it was only fitting for Godzilla to team up with super hero's during the 70's. It clicked, as silly as it may seem now, in retrospect.
UltramanGoji wrote: Cranky because you got mad I implied GFW isn't a good movie aren't you
Chrispy_G wrote:I'll say it one last time, Trump wins in a landslide.
I'll gladly eat crow if it doesn't turn out that way....but at this point it feels painfully obvious, as it has for months.

spinzilla
G-Force Personnel

Post by spinzilla »

JJ is the man. I'm quite surprised Toho hasn't reused the character considering how popular Ultraman has became since his come-back in the late 90's.
He has told you, O man, what is good;
and fwhat does the Lord require of you
but to do justice, and to love kindness,2
and to gwalk humbly with your God?

Micah 6:8
“I will take care of me for you, if you will take care of you for me. ”
― Jim Rohn

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

So what if he is DEEPLY inspired by Ultraman? Who really cares?

Frankly what I can't stand are die-hard Ultra fans (thankfully of which there are few hardnosed base ones) who think that Ultraman is the total end all of the genre... if that had been the case with Superheroes in General... then Superman would have been the end all. It wasn't. Thankfully.

Just out of curiosity... is UM a rip off of Giant Man from Marvel Comics, the Avengers? Seems like they virtually ripped off his powers (Cept Hank Pym didn't have a time limit).

Ultraman: Great concept... some damn fine shows. Almost makes this poster think that some Ultra-Fans might be in fear of something better actually coming along and replacing Ultraman... I hardly think that is the case... besides that, who can blame Toho for trying to monopolize on a trend? IT WAS WHAT WAS POPULAR.

Just how many times have they had to change the visual or the formula to Ultraman in order for it to keep going? If Ultraman was so popular they wouldn't need to keep doing that. Godzilla has in essence retained the exact same look with only slight modifications. The same can not be said for Ultraman.

JJ is fine... Ultra fans need to get off their high horse as much as Godzilla fans need to get off theirs, when it comes to other Kaiju or Giant Monsters.
JJ was an Android with some serious A.I. going on, that had the capacity to grow larger. PLUS... visually I really don't see a lot of similarities between JJ & UM. what? Bright colors?... JJ also had armor of sorts... give the UM stuff a rest. It's still all just men in rubber suits. Geez!

G7
Last edited by Guardian7 on Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Legionmaster
Xilien Halfling

Post by Legionmaster »

Killswitch wrote:Imagine a modern day version of JJ with powers similar to Iron Man, maybe even add a beam weapon. Pretty cool - IMO
It's what my redesign of JJ is based on. Beams in the palms are the only logical place for them. Butt rockets in the arms help too.
bleep bloop

Showa Gyaos
Keizer

Post by Showa Gyaos »

I love him! He's probably one of the earliest inspirations for the Power Rangers series, though Ultraman beat him to it.
ScrumpBump wrote:
BARAGONBREH wrote:What a crap "theory". It's a great time to be alive though, I guess. Buy yourself a MacBook, spout some BS and post it on YouTube and you can make a buncha money.
Kong is Ness and Skull Island is apart of Undertale.

Gib money.

JVM
Xilien Halfling

Post by JVM »

JJ is fine... Ultra fans need to get off their high horse as much as Godzilla fans need to get off theirs, when it comes to other Kaiju or Giant Monsters.
JJ was an Android with some serious A.I. going on, that had the capacity to grow larger. PLUS... visually I really don't see a lot of similarities between JJ & UM. what? Bright colors?... JJ also had armor of sorts... give the UM stuff a rest. It's still all just men in rubber suits. Geez!
I've never watched Ultraman besides the Jiras fight, lol
I used to be a lot more optimistic and outgoing, believe it or not. I used to actually be passionate about this stuff.

DaikaijuSokogeki!
JXSDF Technician

Post by DaikaijuSokogeki! »

To follow up on an earlier post, I know Harryhausen hates Godzilla but I don't believe Bradbury has anything against the Big G. The Beast from 20,000 Fathoms was loosely based on his story, so he really has no reason to be pissed at the Big G considering Beast really isn't his movie.

On topic, I like Jet Jaguar. He adds a lot of flair to Megalon, he's a lot of fun. The movie might've been better off being either a pilot for a Jet Jaguar show or a movie edition of Zone Fighter.

Mini-Godzilla
JXSDF Technician

Post by Mini-Godzilla »

I don't like Jet Jaguar. Didn't Toho already have Zone Fighter by this point? It was like "Reign of the Ultramen" during that time. And that horrific grin on his face...I have always hated that. Even so, he does have a fun theme song, and that has to count for something.
Godzilla says I should learn to fight my own battles!

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

This is what JJ thinks of all that comparison stuff!!

LOL
G7

P.S. I will shift down to a link in a few days! Cya

Gigan X3
Futurian

Post by Gigan X3 »

JVM wrote:I'm shocked to see people like him.

He's an Ultraman ripoff - it's a fact.

Toho held a contest in 1971 or 1972 for a new monster to appear in a solo movie, with the plan being he'd fight Megalon. The JJ design won. Ultraman was of course popular with kids, so it's obvious inspiration came from there.
And your point is...?

Jet Jaguar has a totally rad name, he's got an arrow, as Chris55 said, pointing where to suck on it, he knows he owns, and he's always happy, he knows he's awesome.

Not only that, but he knows Kung-Fuck You Up!
Chris55 wrote:
Biollante wrote:WHY DID THE TERMINATOR STEAL THE BIKER'S GLASSES IN TERMINATOR 2? IT SERVED NOOOOO PURPOSE, WHERE'S THE EXPOSITION?
He was going to kill the T1000 with SEXINESS

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

LOL... ummm JJ has arrows pointing in all kinds of directions. At his belly... his toes... his knees... what do you make of all of that?

There has to be a better point (GET IT? LOL) for NOT liking JJ than just the direction an arrow is pointing (Which is only a design pattern).

I actually wished that JJ had gotten the TOHO TV Show in the place of Zone Fighter. But I love ZF as well. So no biggie!

G7

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

I love Jet Jaguar. The fact that he's an "Ultraman rip-off" doesn't bother me. I mean, I love Gamera even though he's a "Godzilla rip-off", so it wouldn't be fair to have some kind of anti-Jet Jaguar double standard or something. :P Besides, Jet Jaguar's just plain awesome and crazy. It's the same reason I like Message from Space, even though it's "just" a Star Wars rip-off.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

OH come on Lamango... I bet given half a chance he would have smacked Giant Fuji around if he had been given a chance.

SuperMonsterZero
Monarch Researcher

Post by SuperMonsterZero »

Guardian7 wrote:OH come on Lamango... I bet given half a chance he would have smacked Giant Fuji around if he had been given a chance.
WIN.
「大人の世界に神様があるように、子供の世界にミニラ大明神があってもおかしくないでしょう」

Dash 7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Dash 7 »

Guardian7 wrote:OH come on Lamango... I bet given half a chance he would have smacked Giant Fuji around if he had been given a chance.
LOL...
This made my day.
Official Tokusatsu TV expert of TK.

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Guardian7 wrote:This is what JJ thinks of all that comparison stuff!!

LOL
G7

P.S. I will shift down to a link in a few days! Cya

Not having a time limit does have its advantage.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

For the record... I am a HUGE fan of Ultraman!
I can love both UM and JJ... as well as Inframan, Flying Robo, Zone Fighter and a host of others I am sure I am forgetting.
Each one brings something different to the table.
I personally have found virtually all the reasons for disliking JJ as trite and pointless.
The comparison game is the worst excuse of all.
It isn't like comparing GOJIRA or the SHOWA Godzilla or the HEISEI Godzilla or the MILLENNIUM Godzilla to one another. They are the same creature. You CAN compare them to one another.
How they moved.
How they acted.
How the stories were.
How they were filmed.
How they looked.
and on and on.

Super Sentei were VERY popular, which is why he was in the film in the first place... Hell they still are.
I am actually shocked we didn't see one BEFORE JJ or some Shogun Warriorisk kind of robot (I would have loved to have seen RAYDEEN or the boss COMBATRA-V battle Godzilla -- I would have been in heaven!!).

Each one in my eyes is unique.

I can almost guarantee all you doubters right now... if the budget had been there, we would have seen more of JJ (IF NOT his own show)... and I do believe the ZF show would have continued. TOHO might have even monopolized the entire franchise. Because one would have spawned the next. PLUS they had the studios and more sets to play with.

Just the way of things.

Don't make me draw a pic of JJ beating up TK... JK people!

S'all good!
G7

HeiseiGodzilla117
Xilien Halfling

Post by HeiseiGodzilla117 »

Personally I've never liked him. He's just so... weird. I think it's his pointy head that makes me not like him. Even when I was little I didn't like him. But, it's all an opinion.
Spirit Ghidorah 2010 wrote: Sun Dec 03, 2023 4:54 pm Anno-san pleasures me more than Yamasaki-san.

HedorahLives
Monsterland Worker

Post by HedorahLives »

Uber camp. Total UM rip-off, as people have noted. Also a product of the times. Kinda shows that Godzilla vs Megalon was originally meant as a Jet Jaguar solo film. Might have been better off that way. I appreciate that JJ has his fans, but IMO the best thing about him is the MST3K slandering he got.

Guardian7
Monarch Researcher

Post by Guardian7 »

How exactly is he like Ultraman?

I am betting I can rebut anything you can say. You might slip one or two minor points past me, but I can almost guarantee I can knock down most of any comparisons.

I am not saying that JJ is BETTER than Ultraman. I love Ultraman!
I am just saying they are not the same... and if you think they are... Then your not looking.

LOL@edgaguirus commet

G7

Besides that... he has a 78% positive lead in the "okay to Love him".

WIN!