Jet Jaguar: Lame Creation or pretty cool?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Is Jet Jaguar cool?

Yes, I love him!
51%
Eh, he's OK.
26%
I dunno...
10%
LAMEST CREATION EVER!
13%

Total votes: 167

edgaguirus
Keizer

Re: Jet Jaguar: Lame Creation or pretty cool?

Post by edgaguirus »

Without JJ, there wouldn't be a vs Megalon film.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

GodzillaBurgh
G-Force Personnel

Post by GodzillaBurgh »

While we can all agree that he COULD be a Ultraman rip-off, but you've got to admit, he's so cool. Plus, he has a catchy theme song.
"Just as you distrust us, so we distrust others as well. It's wrong. We're all human. As humans we are responsible to each other. We are related. Refuse us, and you will abandon your brothers. We must learn to help each other."
- Sakai, Godzilla vs. The Thing

SuperPawnageGigan
G-Force Personnel

Post by SuperPawnageGigan »

I think jet jaguar is a cool monster he helped godizlla defeat both Megalon and Gigan and i love his theme it can get pretty catchy and i really like his design it just looks so cool. His powers are awesome how he can change size and he is freinds with the king of the monsters. I think jet jaguar is on my top 10 coolest godzilla monsters list i like jet jaguar. PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH!!!
8-BIT MADNESS
2 Friends having a good time.

BlueGojira
Monarch Researcher

Post by BlueGojira »

While Ultraman was the inspiration behind Jet Jaguar, and even that's being nice, Jet Jaguar was a decent creation, and I would actually not mind him being in another Showa movie, or fight alongside Ultraman or Zone Fighter.

Another reason I happen to take a liking to JJ is that in Rulers Of Earth, he's just straight up awesome.
SoleMan wrote: I feel like with his passing, it finally lays the era of Godzilla to rest. No more are there guys in rubber suits, no more are there fun, silly, kid-friendly Godzillas, no more are the days when you could make out in the back row with your sweetheart and your kid brother could be in the front, eyes glued to the screen. Instead we're left with the gritty, cold world of Hollywood and apocalyptic visions of nightmare creatures.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

I was just about to say that. I just finished volume 1 and 2 (cliffhanger- that's all the library has!), and his scenes were my favorite. The introduction ('You never would've believed me...) was pitch-perfect, and I can perfectly picture the soundtrack to that scene- something like Superman's big entrance in Superman Returns.

But even with just the film, I love me some Jet Jaguar. He has his own theme song... how could I not have loved that guy from the start? :)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Just popping in to deliver my routine statement of "Jet Jaguar is the coolest thing ever."

GodzillavsRayquaza
Site Staff
Site Staff

Post by GodzillavsRayquaza »

He's one of the cheesiest things to come from the Showa era, and that's why I love him. Plus, Rulers of Earth turned him into a badass, who still manages to keep a bit of a silly tone.
KWC Co-Operations Manager
KWCE Administrator

ShinGojira14 wrote: Neither. Hideki Anno wins because he writes a hilarious comedic satire movie where Shin and Legendary have to team up to destroy a grotesque crap-monster created by the constant toxic bickering of Shin fans and Legendary fans.
SoggyNoodles2016 wrote: Yup, my dad works at Legendary, the Nebulans are gonna be in the next movie and they're gonna get beat because Madison throws coffee in the leaders face.

Superrex
G-Grasper

Post by Superrex »

I never really liked JJ in Godzilla vs. Megalon. I've always felt that he didn't really serve much of a purpose other than to fly Godzilla out of the ring of fire. He also seemed to have had a hard time fighting Megalon by himself.

Luckily, Rulers of Earth redeemed him for me. He was actually able to hold his own against other monsters and him flying into Kiryu and activating the Absolute Zero Cannon was just badass.
Last edited by Superrex on Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Probably the unluckiest guy in the Shadow Arena
Shadow Arena History:
Wins:7
Defeats:8
Chris55 wrote:
wisper15 wrote:I sucks donkey dick.
"He's really bad at it too!"

-The donkey

Coobzilla03
EDF Instructor

Post by Coobzilla03 »

Superrex wrote:Luckily, Rulers of Earth redeemed him for me. He was actually able to hold his own against other monsters and him flying into Kitty and activating the Absolute Zero Cannon was just badass.
Huh? Auto-correct?
Resized Image

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

I'll have to check out Rulers of Earth to see that.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Zarm
E.S.P.Spy

Post by Zarm »

Gotta be one cool cat, dadio. 8-)
KaijuCanuck wrote:It’s part of my secret plan to create a fifth column in the US, pre-emoting our glorious conquest and the creation of the Canadian Empire, upon which the sun will consistently set after less than eight hours of daylight. :ninja:
The grace of God is a greater gift than we can truly fathom; undeserved mercy is a kindness humbling in its sheer scope.

The Zone Fighter campaign is complete, with all episodes subtitled! PM me if you need a link location.

Maranatha!

tmeister
Ronin

Post by tmeister »

I think for something made by a kid and adapted to a film that was turned into a Godzilla film, I think he is an ok character. He is a bit corny, but I do find him like able and fun. I just wish his only film appearance was not hampered by three other monsters being shoved in.
High five dudes!

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You know how Toho tends to shove in popular monsters to make sure they make the money.

ArchdukeSquidlyIII
G-Force Personnel

Post by ArchdukeSquidlyIII »

I think that the limitations of SFX during the '70s really didn't help Jet out that much, which is why he can often be regarded as a "cheesy" or "campy" character. But I've always loved the character myself. My first introduction to Jet Jaguar (as well as a whole bunch of other characters) came with my seventh birthday, when I got a PS2 and Godzilla: Save the Earth as gifts. Being seven, obviously my favorite character was gonna be the giant smiling robot that performs karate, fires beams from his hands, and changes size.

Now that I think about it, I'm curious as to why Toho decided to create Zone Fighter, as opposed to giving Jet Jaguar his own TV show. Surely people would've been more likely to watch the show had it featured a main character that they were actually familiar with. It's pretty easy to think about what could've been, just remove the Zone family, replace them with Goro and Co, make it that Jet's batteries drain after five minutes or so, and you're golden.
Please refer to me as jiggy22 (or just jiggy!)

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

As I stated earlier.. I was never a fan of JJ.. However I've been playing him a lot on Godzilla for the PS4 then stumbled across this gem.. https://youtu.be/Ped3YoiIou4

I think I may have a new appreciation for him.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

kenny862
Ronin

Post by kenny862 »

Jet Jaguar is my favorite monster. He is the (as far as I know) the only Godzilla monster that can change size. This could enable him to travel inside his opponents and then grow once he's inside, crushing them from the inside out. Match 25 "Ultraman and Jet Jaguar vs Monster X" is a perfect example of this. I'd like to see Ultraman do that.

RamshackleRanger
Futurian

Post by RamshackleRanger »

kenny862 wrote:Jet Jaguar is my favorite monster. He is the (as far as I know) the only Godzilla monster that can change size.
Minya. :P

kenny862
Ronin

Post by kenny862 »

What exactly does that goat mean? It's everywhere.

BARAGONBREH
G-Grasper

Post by BARAGONBREH »

One of the worst creations ever. He's nothing but a walking commercial for a horrible cash grab stunt that fortunately didn't pay off.
Shadowfyre wrote:Everything you say sucks all the time.
gottatalktothefake wrote:I’m kinda disappointed, I just expected to LOVE it. I just thought it was an alright 6/10.

InnocentClarke
Yojimbo

Post by InnocentClarke »

BARAGONBREH wrote:One of the worst creations ever. He's nothing but a walking commercial for a horrible cash grab stunt that fortunately didn't pay off.
Man, that's two threads in a row I see you say "One of the worst ever." Feeling negative tonight, are we? :P
-
OT: Jet Jaguar's just okay. I don't think he's terribly interesting, and I don't care for his design, especially not when compared to Ultraman. He's not awful, but then I don't think ANY monster/robot/whatever in the Godzilla franchise is awful or anything. But, I mean, he's one of the weakest links for me, right down there next to Megalon or Megaguirus.