Jet Jaguar: Lame Creation or pretty cool?

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.

Is Jet Jaguar cool?

Yes, I love him!
51%
Eh, he's OK.
26%
I dunno...
10%
LAMEST CREATION EVER!
13%

Total votes: 167

Mastergodzilla
GPN Volunteer

Re: Jet Jaguar: Lame Creation or pretty cool?

Post by Mastergodzilla »

I don't like him at all. Period.
:baragon: :destoroyah: :muto: :bagan: :g2k: :monsterx: :gigan: :mechagodzilla: :spacegodzilla: :g64: :godzilla: :tk:
Check out my YouTube Channel, GodzillaFan2004! Has everything Godzilla, from reviews of fan films to fan films themselves! Please subscribe!!
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR1qg2 ... 4JEFNvBhCw

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

Beef Bigshot wrote:Alright guys, enough spoofing lol

Is it just me or does anyone have else think that JJ would have been better had he done some more meme worthy stuff. Even in a movie where he was supposed to be aain character he doesn't really do much besides be taken hostage by gigan

You wanted JJ to be more like Ultraman, with beams and more martial arts moves? I like that JJ didn't have any special attacks, and he seemed to be handling Megalon just fine until Gigan came to Megalon's aid.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

edgaguirus wrote:
Beef Bigshot wrote:Alright guys, enough spoofing lol

Is it just me or does anyone have else think that JJ would have been better had he done some more meme worthy stuff. Even in a movie where he was supposed to be aain character he doesn't really do much besides be taken hostage by gigan

You wanted JJ to be more like Ultraman, with beams and more martial arts moves? I like that JJ didn't have any special attacks, and he seemed to be handling Megalon just fine until Gigan came to Megalon's aid.

For a robot.. He's pretty boring... Sticking to the Toho universe you look at the likes of MG.. Capable of pretty much everything JJ can do + a bazillion tons of firepower and a force field. Mechanikongs got a gdamn utility belt with grenades. Outside of the Toho uni you have transformers, voltron, hell even the power rangers. If your bringing any robot to a fight, you bringing JJ?

"What can he do?"

"Well.. He can fly.. Ummm... His eyes light up!"

" :eh: "

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

You forgot the size change ability.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

edgaguirus wrote:You forgot the size change ability.
I did forget that but when talking in the giant kaiju realm how useful is that?

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

MechaGoji Bro7503
Administrator
Administrator

Post by MechaGoji Bro7503 »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
edgaguirus wrote:You forgot the size change ability.
I did forget that but when talking in the giant kaiju realm how useful is that?
In the comics he went small inside Orga then quickly grew huge and tore him in half, forcing him to retreat. Jet could always turn small to distract/annoy a kaiju
"Bang on, mate.", - Murdoc Niccals 2018.

"Right, wrong... Nobody's got a clue what the difference is in this town. So I'm gonna have more fun... and live crazier than any of 'em." - Goro Majima.

Our G-Force a Kaiju Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/g ... 1509725595

For unique discussions on Ultraman, Godzilla, and much more check out my channel Tiger Drop Films: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCng0uL ... VCg/videos

Komenja
Interpol Agent

Post by Komenja »

Rulers of Earth does a great job showcasing how cool JJ's abilities can be when used creatively. Flying fast enough to catch up with an alien spaceship, punch a hole in it and shrink into the opening to beat up aliens and rescue captives.

He can communicate with monsters in order to work together to defeat a greater threat, or to avoid conflict (he tried to with Godzilla, anyway).

And of course, the highlights for many, shrinking to human size to pilot Kiryu and use the Absolute Zero Cannon, or, like MechaGoji Bro said above, bursting out from inside of Orga.

I think they even had him use his "X-Ray Vision" thing (for lack of a more accurate term) once or twice. I'll re-check my issues when I get home from work.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Never liked him. I always thought he was just a cheap attempt for Toho to jump in with characters like Ultraman, which ultimately failed.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

KingKaiju wrote:Never liked him. I always thought he was just a cheap attempt for Toho to jump in with characters like Ultraman, which ultimately failed.
Well he was conceived about the same time ultraman and spectreman were popular.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

Legion1979
Justiriser

Post by Legion1979 »

Yeah it's not like Ultraman was one of a kind and Jet Jaguar was directly ripping him off.

Godzillian
Xilien Halfling

Post by Godzillian »

Jet Jaguar is very much a product of his time. He's entertaining and enjoyable but best left in the 70s.

Dracosaurian
JXSDF Technician

Post by Dracosaurian »

I like Jet Jaguar. I'd really like to see him make a comeback in a film or animated series.

The Rulers of Earth comics showed how versatile he can be.

Lain Of The Wired
Terminated
Terminated

Post by Lain Of The Wired »

Jet Jaguar is awesome. Period.
If you disspike him, you're not a trü fan
Never forget tadpole :godzilla:

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

If JJ does come back, it will probably be in animated form. Godzilla is dark right now, and JJ doesn't really fit that mood.

KingKaiju
Futurian

Post by KingKaiju »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
KingKaiju wrote:Never liked him. I always thought he was just a cheap attempt for Toho to jump in with characters like Ultraman, which ultimately failed.
Which makes sense. Ultraman seems like it was super popular then, considering that it still have a big following now. So I'd imagine that Toho wanted in on it.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

KingKaiju wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:
Which makes sense. Ultraman seems like it was super popular then, considering that it still have a big following now. So I'd imagine that Toho wanted in on it.
Well unfortunately I feel they missed the mark big time.. Jet Jaguar could have potentially had a future if A. Toho had a bigger budget for the film, B. Toho themselves created JJ as opposed to some child in a contest, and C. If they went with the original plan and made a standalone film as opposed to throwing G.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stevo_1985 wrote:Jet Jaguar could have potentially had a future if... Toho themselves created JJ as opposed to some child in a contest
Not sure what difference this makes. Toho holds the rights to the character, just as they would had he been created by someone in-house, and could reuse him any time they want.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

Stevo_1985
JXSDF Technician

Post by Stevo_1985 »

eabaker wrote:
Stevo_1985 wrote:Jet Jaguar could have potentially had a future if... Toho themselves created JJ as opposed to some child in a contest
Not sure what difference this makes. Toho holds the rights to the character, just as they would had he been created by someone in-house, and could reuse him any time they want.
Compared to Ultraman he looks goofy, and I understand he has a fanbase.. Had Toho done it themselves I believe it would have been a better design and he would have been better received so to speak.. I don't believe he had nearly the fanbase when he was conceived as he does now.

Sorry Kiryu
#Notmymechagodzilla

eabaker
Administrator
Administrator

Post by eabaker »

Stevo_1985 wrote:
eabaker wrote:
Compared to Ultraman he looks goofy, and I understand he has a fanbase.. Had Toho done it themselves I believe it would have been a better design and he would have been better received so to speak.. I don't believe he had nearly the fanbase when he was conceived as he does now.
But it's not like Toho had a contest specifically for people to design Ultraman rip-offs; had that kid not designed Jet Jaguar, there wouldn't be a superior Toho-created Jet Jaguar design, there would just be no such character, or some totally unrelated character.
Tokyo, a smoldering memorial to the unknown, an unknown which at this very moment still prevails and could at any time lash out with its terrible destruction anywhere else in the world.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Movie JJ is kinda boring but Rulers Redeemed him so y'know I'll vote awesome since I was so happy whenever he showed up.