Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

For the discussion of Toho produced and distributed films or shows released before 1980.
Space Hunter M
EDF Instructor

Re: Talkback Thread #1: Godzilla (1954)

Post by Space Hunter M »

daveblackeye15 wrote:Re-watched King of the Monsters and it's weird how they added more Godzilla roars in certainly places, such as the electric lines. It kind of works there as an angry bellow but in other places it seems like it's trying too hard. I really like Godzilla's little 'woofs' of surprise.
A lot of the extra sounds are there because they played the differently edited dubbing effects track over the fully mixed Japanese audio.

daveblackeye15
EDF Instructor

Post by daveblackeye15 »

Oh yeah, forgot about that. It seems like a very American thing to be afraid of quiet moments so extra noise or dialogue is added.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I know that this will sound like complete blasphemy, but are there any colorised versions of the American cut?
Actually, there does exist a colored (albeit very badly colored) version of Godzilla, King of The Monsters!, dubbed as Cozzilla, made by Luigi Cozzi in 1977. The full cut is actually available on Youtube as of right now, but it is dubbed in Italian, has subtitles, and has very poor quality compared to the supposed theatrical cuts from back when it was first released.
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Missingno. wrote:
GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:I know that this will sound like complete blasphemy, but are there any colorised versions of the American cut?
Actually, there does exist a colored (albeit very badly colored) version of Godzilla, King of The Monsters!, dubbed as Cozzilla, made by Luigi Cozzi in 1977. The full cut is actually available on Youtube as of right now, but it is dubbed in Italian, has subtitles, and has very poor quality compared to the supposed theatrical cuts from back when it was first released.
Oops, I forgot to clarify. :oops: I knew about that one, but was wondering if there was one that was colorised more effectively, like the colorisation of It Came From Beneath The Sea. Baisicly less like a LSD mind trip. :P
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

Missingno.
G-Grasper

Post by Missingno. »

GodzillaFanatic2001 wrote:
Missingno. wrote:
Oops, I forgot to clarify. :oops: I knew about that one, but was wondering if there was one that was colorised more effectively, like the colorisation of It Came From Beneath The Sea. Baisicly less like a LSD mind trip. :P
I agree, Cozzilla is like an LSD mind trip... I wish there was an effectively colorized version of this, because I would pay for that in a heartbeat. I mean, there are several fan-colored GIFs on Google Images of this movie, and they did a great job, even to the point where I considered asking if they could do a full colorization of this movie... On a side note, in Rodan 1956, there are two shots after the climatic attack in Fukuoka that you can tell are colorized shots from Godzilla 1954 when it shows the city with fire burning in the background (in case you never knew)
TK's resident other 1980's fan who longs for that decade's return, and severe weather fanatic.
LSD Jellyfish wrote:WOW WHAT HONOL. SO KOOR, VERY JOUZU KAWAII SOU DESU NE. AHHHH OKII CHINKO DESU KA. MMMMM CHICHI, WATSHI NO MANKO NI CHINKO O IKYUUUUUUUU
NEVER FORGET:
8-8-2015
R.I.P. Games forum
Resized ImageResized Image
The 80's----The weather!

GodzillaFanatic2001
Monarch Researcher

Post by GodzillaFanatic2001 »

Oops, I forgot to clarify. :oops: I knew about that one, but was wondering if there was one that was colorized more effectively, like the colorization of It Came From Beneath The Sea. Basically less like a LSD mind trip. :P[/quote]

I agree, Cozzilla is like an LSD mind trip... I wish there was an effectively colorized version of this, because I would pay for that in a heartbeat. I mean, there are several fan-colored GIFs on Google Images of this movie, and they did a great job, even to the point where I considered asking if they could do a full colorization of this movie... On a side note, in Rodan 1956, there are two shots after the climatic attack in Fukuoka that you can tell are colorized shots from Godzilla 1954 when it shows the city with fire burning in the background (in case you never knew)[/quote]

Really? i never noticed that. I wonder how they colorized it? Its certainly better than the Magical Rainbow LSD version. Those fan colored GIF's are what made me wonder if any existed, as they do look very good, especially in still frames from the film. I hope that if they're colorized properly, that they take their time, like with the Ray Harryhausen DVD's instead of the Cozzilla colorization or the King Kong one from the 80's. I've heard people refer to that one as "candy Kong". Couldn't agree more! Giving Gojira a candy colorization certainly would take away some of the terror of the original! :P
HayesAJones wrote:
Godzilla 2000 wrote:Its harmless fun, pure and simple.
As opposed to those dangerously fun movies.

BARAGONZILLA
JXSDF Technician

Post by BARAGONZILLA »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:You know, it's funny, but my Japanese gf never watched a Godzilla film before she met me, and this was the first one I showed her. She was quite shocked how serious and grim it was, and to my surprise, she really liked it. The film remains potent to this day.

For those interested, here is a fantastic book by Yosensha devoted to this film. It's 320 pages and loaded with really rare, interesting stills (I'll try to post some, time permitting:

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-26-e1/n ... 6151/img_0

Also, here the Japanese Giants issue devoted to this film (probably the best English source on this film):

http://www.japanesegiants.com/images/jg10small.jpg
:lol: I love that first poster.
This is the beginning of the end.

Pkmatrix
Futurian

Post by Pkmatrix »

ebirahsmeg1 wrote:For those interested, here is a fantastic book by Yosensha devoted to this film. It's 320 pages and loaded with really rare, interesting stills (I'll try to post some, time permitting:

http://blogs.c.yimg.jp/res/blog-26-e1/n ... 6151/img_0
I just picked this up in New York City. Wonderful! Can't read it, but it's got a lot of cool pictures I've never seen before...including all the storyboards! :D

Godzillafan99
Young Farmer

Post by Godzillafan99 »

The defining piece of the Kaiju genre. A movie that has never and will never be equaled or surpassed.
((<Godzillafan99>))

edgaguirus
Keizer

Post by edgaguirus »

For a movie to launch an entire genre and series of films, a film has to be good. Godzilla is that good, and enduring.
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made.

The strength of the vampire is that people will not believe in him.

BlankAccount
Sazer

Post by BlankAccount »

In my opinion this movie has only one equal in the kaiju genera and that's Rodan (1956)

Tyrant_Lizard_King
Sazer

Post by Tyrant_Lizard_King »

Like Gojira Rodan has a fairly unique atmosphere. Objectively Gojira is probably the "best" film but it doesn't even crack my top 10.
Rocker, paleo buff, cryptid enthusiast, Dragonball fanatic, and lover of comic book, video game, manga, & anime babes!
Follow me on Twitter, if you dare! https://twitter.com/TLK_1983

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Just did a group viewing of it via the Criterion release. A grad school friend of mine mentioned wanting to see it, and I'd been tying to get my current girlfriend to watch it as we were trading favorite movies (not that she wouldn't; we just hadn't gotten to it yet). Another friend had seen the American version years and years ago, and only one other person had seen the original via a film class, though she'd forgotten large parts, including the pivotal role Emiko plays.

Everyone enjoyed it. Lots of silence during the Tokyo attack and remarks on how good the models and suit looked. I piped in every once in a while with some historical context where it helped. Lots of criticism of Emiko's actress though, which is totally, totally fair, though everyone else is good. Still a really effective film; I enjoy it more each time. It's cool to see more and more people having a positive first experience with the movie, even fifty years later (and it's only now starting to get its critical due).
Living Corpse wrote:In my opinion this movie has only one equal in the kaiju genera and that's Rodan (1956)
Rodan is a really enjoyable monster movie, but I don't think it's the same league. For the most part, it's content to just be genre entertainment. Very, very well made, but it doesn't have the urgency of Godzilla, nor its tone and ability to bounce between narrative and documentary-like footage.

Benn_Sonic_exe
Monsterland Worker

Post by Benn_Sonic_exe »

Anyone know where I could find the japanese version with subtitles, if there even are subtitles? Buying it seems like the only option since there's no videos of the full movie on Youtube :lol:
AKA Jamie.

Kaijunator
Xilien Halfling

Post by Kaijunator »

Benn_Sonic_exe wrote:Anyone know where I could find the japanese version with subtitles, if there even are subtitles? Buying it seems like the only option since there's no videos of the full movie on Youtube :lol:
Get the Godzilla, King of the Monsters DVD that was released last year. It has both Gojira and KOTM. Gojira has English subtitles.
If you have digital copy codes for movies you want to give away, I'll gladly take them! :)
Dillyziller wrote:Evangelion 4.0: This is (not) a joke

It opens with Shinji, Asuka, and Rei walking along the lifeless, red earth. Suddenly the ground begins to shake.
Godzilla bursts from the ground, killing the 3 pilots. Godzilla will then battle his newest opponent...
parental issues.
TitanoGoji16 wrote:"Do you think C-Rex and FeMUTO could make sweet love down by the fire and give birth to Gabara?"
Best song ever.
YouTube!

Mr. Xeno
Futurian

Post by Mr. Xeno »

Kaijunator wrote:
Benn_Sonic_exe wrote:Anyone know where I could find the japanese version with subtitles, if there even are subtitles? Buying it seems like the only option since there's no videos of the full movie on Youtube :lol:
Get the Godzilla, King of the Monsters DVD that was released last year. It has both Gojira and KOTM. Gojira has English subtitles.
Or better yet, just buy the Criterion blu-ray.
Castellan Zilla wrote:What? No dots on SHMA Mothra?! In the trash she goes.

Chris55
Site Director | Media Relations
Site Director | Media Relations

Post by Chris55 »

Living Corpse wrote:In my opinion this movie has only one equal in the kaiju genera and that's Rodan (1956)
To me, Rodan's darker but in a different way. It's just a straight up horror movie. Violent and bloody even before you get to Rodan.
Your misconceptions and fantasies along with your misguided sense of entitlement don't dictate my actions.

Rodan
Gotengo Officer

Post by Rodan »

Chris55 wrote:
To me, Rodan's darker but in a different way. It's just a straight up horror movie. Violent and bloody even before you get to Rodan.
I don't know about "darker." I agree with it playing like more of a horror movie, though. That's also why I rank it a level down from Godzilla. Rodan is very well-crafted genre, but it doesn't really transcend its formula -- it just plays it out very entertainingly.

tymon
Futurian

Post by tymon »

I can't find much wrong with Rodan on an objective level, but holy shit does it bore the hell out of me. I had a hard time staying awake during my last rewatch.
JAGzilla wrote:And then there was The Giant Condor. He...seemed very dedicated to what he was doing?

Monster Zero
Futurian

Post by Monster Zero »

I just finished watching this movie. I still enjoy it greatly, but holy heck, this was the first time I've cried at that end scene. That roar, the music, the dialogue out of Serizawa. This is possibly now in my top 5 favorite G films. 10/10. And Happy 61st anniversary.